Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 10:56 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,448,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Just say "NO!" to an American VAT.

Flat tax - no deductions, no loopholes.
A flat tax? What is a "flat tax", and what is it imposed on? Define what it is imposed on. Is it imposed upon the property which working people earn when selling the property each has in their own labor? Is it a direct tax requiring an apportionment among the states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 10:59 AM

19,224 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
He voted with the Dems. It's pretty easy to find all the details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...re_Act_of_2017

2nd paragraph
Thanks, so it wasn't just McCain but a significant number of Moderate Republicans who weren't onboard with the far rights position.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:02 AM

1,421 posts, read 757,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thanks, so it wasn't just McCain but a significant number of Moderate Republicans who weren't onboard with the far rights position.
As I recall, Collins and Murkowski were expect to vote against it all along. McCain was the swing vote, it wasn't a sure thing which way he was going to go.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:05 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How would it favor the rich?

If you buy a million dollar yacht, the tax on it would be $100,000 @ 10% .

Do you want everyone to "pay their fair share" or not?

Or is your idea of "fair share" when you tax some people more than others and other people not at all?
I'm trying to figure that one out too. Aren't the rich the ones buying yachts, multiple homes, exotic cars, and other luxury items ? The more one spends the more they are taxed.

I'm not saying I'm all for this, but just trying to figure out how it benefits only the wealthy.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:06 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Somehow Dems don't understand that all those additional agents wouldn't be necessary (if they even are now) if you simplified the tax code.

There's no reason that any American shouldn't be able to do their taxes on the back of a postcard.
But I thought the 2017 tax reform was going to simplify taxes, Paul Ryan said we could do our taxes on an index card.

The republicans are just throwing stuff out there without any analysis from the budget office. They know it won't pass but it's good for fund raising.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post
It's a con job!

See: House Republicans to vote on bill abolishing IRS, eliminating income tax

"As a former small business owner, I understand the unnecessary burden our failing income tax system has on Americans. The Fair Tax Act eliminates the tax code, replaces the income tax with a sales tax, and abolishes the abusive Internal Revenue Service. If enacted, this will invigorate the American taxpayer and help more Americans achieve the American Dream," Rep. Jeff Duncan, R-S.C., said."

First of all, and with regard to the selling point that the Fair Tax “… abolishes the abusive Internal Revenue Service …”, in its place Duncan’s proposal creates two new tax collecting agencies, an “Excise Tax Bureau” and the “Sales Tax Bureau", in addition to keeping the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms alive which will also be collecting taxes.

Also, the alleged “Fair Tax”, if adopted, does not abolish federal taxes calculated from various types of “incomes” as suggested. Congress will still maintain the power to lay and collect “excise taxes” calculated from profits and gains, such as the Corporate Excise tax of 1909. So, right from the beginning, Rep. Duncan is suggesting something that is not true. The same IRS abuses now suffered under income taxation will continue under the fraudulent and deceptive Fair Tax, carried out under its “Excise Tax Bureau”.

And if you think businesses and individuals subject to the Fair Tax are free from filling out annual tax returns, the shocking truth is, they will have to start filling out and filing Fair Tax returns, under the penalty of perjury, every month ___ that’s twelve frickin times a year! Additionally, even ordinary working people, who sell the property each has in their own labor, and work odd jobs, such as baby sitting, handyman jobs etc., to meet today’s high cost of living, not only will they have to file Fair Tax returns twelve times a year, but will have to register with the federal government to exercise their inalienable right to sell their labor.

If the above is not enough to make one recoil from the notoriously evil and deceptive Fair Tax proposal, the Fair Tax would also create another entitlement called the “family consumption allowance”, which is a monthly government check sent to every household in America which allows the purchase of a rationed supply of tax-free necessities of life, and puts our entire population on the public dole!

If Rep. Duncan has one ounce of honesty in him, he would reject the alleged Fait Tax and promote the Fair Share Balance Budget Amendment which actually would abolish all federal taxes calculated from lawfully earned profits, gains, wages, etc. and end the miseries suffered under the evil tax on incomes.

I will add a few more to your list...

Who will pay to update all the point of sale terminals (cash registers) to calculate this new US sales tax, on top of any state and local tax?

Who will pay for updates to every business's accounting software to accommodate the collection of a new sales tax and remittance to the government?

Who in the government will receive sales tax payments from all the businesses that are collecting it? If there is no IRS to receive the money?

How will poor people pay for food and other necessities when they barely have enough money to pay now? Do they get an exemption? Carry a card? Who decides which citizens don't have to pay sales tax if there is no IRS?

Old 01-10-2023, 11:13 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
it is a net expansion of the headcount. do you not think that means more audits?

The treasury gets plenty of money automatically.
Not all of them are auditors. Actually, only about 13 percent of the total staff are “agents.” There is a whole host of support staff--customer service reps, office personnel-- that have been stretched to the limit due to short staffing.

Quote:
"What most people do not understand is that this 87,000 has to be spread across hundreds of IRS departments, meaning 87,000 is a small number for a federal agency that has been severely understaffed for years."

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/g...own-your-door/
When you combine the chronic understaffing to the number of staff expected to be leaving the agency, the 87,000 is not all that significant in the larger picture.

And this is to happen over a ten year period, so that makes it even less of the big bad boogeyman the GOP is trying to make it.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:15 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
They might be able to tinker at the edges of the tax code as a matter of horse trading, but a fundamental restructuring of the tax system will never pass.

And not because of some ideological hogwash, but because negotiating the loopholes of the tax code is Big Business that has little or nothing to do with these relatively puny political “parties”.

Periodic talk, talk, talk of major restructuring of the tax system plays a minor role on the stage of political theater and we have seen this part of the play many, many times before.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:16 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,952,233 times
I'm all for the Fair Tax. Everyone pay into the system from which everyone benefits. Whether here illegally, working, "under the table", selling drugs, prostitutes, whoever, everyone buys stuff and will be paying into the system. The common man buys a pair of jean at Walmart for $25; pay 23% tax. Joe Hollywood buys a pair of Gucci jeans for $3,100; pay 23% tax. The more expensive your taste, the more you pay. Doesn't get any more fair than that.

Old 01-10-2023, 11:16 AM

6,043 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm trying to figure that one out too. Aren't the rich the ones buying yachts, multiple homes, exotic cars, and other luxury items ? The more one spends the more they are taxed.
Yep! This is why I am morally opposed to income and property taxes. I can choose whether, or not, to buy something. But, I need an income. And, I need a place to live. Why should I be punished for working and living?

Wealthier people purchase more stuff, therefore, they would pay more taxes.

Poorer people purchase less stuff, therefore, they would pay less taxes.

But, at least everyone would be paying something, unlike our current system, where only forty-ish percent pay a federal income tax. Everyone should share the burden, that we have created, by voting for nincompoops for the last fifty+ years. This is tax equality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck
I'm not saying I'm all for this, but just trying to figure out how it benefits only the wealthy.
According to Democrats, any tax plan, put forth by Republicans, naturally benefits the wealthy.

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 01-10-2023 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies