Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 04:34 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
I know many of you in this thread love to hear echoes from each other and blame the liberals, but I completely agree with any government entity suing Hyundai for this issue. I think it was stated that 96% of cars models in the market in the US have immobilizers installed in them as a theft deterrent as of 2015. With Hyundai it was 26% of their model lineup. Also the I believe it was stated that the Canada models of the affected Hyundai/kia models have immobilizers installed in them since it was mandated.

So yeah, they dropped the ball big time by going cheap.They have some level of accountability. This definitely has damaged their brand in the process. Car thefts have went up close to 100% in my city in the last year fuel by hyundia and kia's being stolen. My auto insurance is going up 23% when my next policy period kicks in. I'm pretty sure it's due to the increase in auto thefts.
That may be the case, but it is not the government’s (in this case, the city of Seattle government’s) business to force a private company to be more theft deterrent.

A company is free to have only 26% of their product have immobilizers. If their cars are more easily stolen, then it’s the consumer”s choice to not buy their brand. That’s how the free market works. Of course the Marxist Left (Democrats) doesn’t believe in the free market. They want a fascist government. The hypocrisy is that the Left screams “fascists” at their opponents but they are really the fascists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 04:39 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Sounds like more leftist governmental scapegoating — this time from the folks who enabled the CHAZ/CHOP circus of drug-fueled felonies. Kia and Hyundai should respond by launching a social media campaign calling them racist just for schlitz and giggles.
Hyundai is going to comply because they worry about the PR. The only losers that come out of this will be the consumers because the extra costs will be passed onto them. For those that wanted a lower price vehicle without the theft deterrent because they live in areas where theft isn’t a problem, they will be forced to have it. Look at it now as a forced option.

Another example of how Leftist government interference in the free market makes things more costly.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I've owned a couple of late model Hyundai's over the past decade or better. No one ever stole them, and as far as I know they never tried. But then, I don't live in Seattle... so there's that.
Never again. My Hyundai lasted a whopping 96K miles before my honest auto mechanic said dont bother repairing the car as he wont promise something else wont go wrong a week later. My dad got more miles out of his cars from the 1970s.

Meanwhile my current car is about to cross 200K.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:49 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
In other words they're suing because they think Hyundai is making it too easy for THEIR CRIMINALS. 'We can't have our criminals tempted like that'

Last edited by anononcty; 01-27-2023 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-27-2023, 06:58 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
After reading this article, I am feeling wistful this morning, knowing that if Joe Biden had not beaten Corn Pop to death, ol' Corn would be living high on the streets of Seattle, stealing the 3 H's: Hyundais, Hypodermics, and Hoes.

Last edited by ntwrkguy1; 01-27-2023 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-27-2023, 08:27 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times
The thing is you could easily use this to your advantage. Use these cars as decoys to bait crooks in. Real easy felony arrests. Every time you make a felony arrest you strengthen gun control if that is what you want to do. They keep fixating on goals that are impossible to achieve. In places like Japan that have very strictly enforced laws you can leave the keys in your car.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:29 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Part of the disease that is permeating our country.

Old 01-27-2023, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That may be the case, but it is not the government’s (in this case, the city of Seattle government’s) business to force a private company to be more theft deterrent.

A company is free to have only 26% of their product have immobilizers. If their cars are more easily stolen, then it’s the consumer”s choice to not buy their brand. That’s how the free market works. Of course the Marxist Left (Democrats) doesn’t believe in the free market. They want a fascist government. The hypocrisy is that the Left screams “fascists” at their opponents but they are really the fascists.
Will they sue Samsung or Whirlpool because some of their refrigerators have no icemaker? Perhaps they will sue Best Buy because some of their TVs are not smart TVs. Those people who bought Kias and Hyundais did so knowing what features they had and didn't have, and for them the low price was the motivation. That's not the fault of the manufacturer. Just another case of that city demonstrating their absurd priorities.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:31 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
As long as Hyundai and Kia met government standards at the time of sale, I am unclear on how the city will have any case.

We had a previous thread where St. Louis was threatening this.

Basically, it smells like a political diversion by the city of Seattle to try to blame crime on anybody but their own policies.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:44 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Here’s a lawyer explaining it, it makes sense on why Seattle is doing it. This guy is entertaining and is also a top lemon law lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEoUq8LmM1I&t=619s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies