Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 03:09 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,776,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was born in 1961 and it was never OK or a widespread practice to throw trash out the window. Geebus, what 3rd world country are you from?
Have you ever driven up and down Appalachia?

It is such a lush a beautiful area…that is littered with rusted out abandoned cars, tires, tines, appliances, furniture, rotted wood, and all sorts of other trash.

You will also see the same thing if you drive from Clovis, NM to Lubbock, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 04:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 6,696,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Does anyone remember the 80s and 90s (maybe earlier? but i wasnt alive). We literally threw all our trash out the window.
What??? I literally have never known anyone who threw trash out windows. That has been a taboo long before the 80s, at least it was in my part of the world.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:35 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,405,904 times
Quote:
Does anyone remember the 80s and 90s (maybe earlier? but i wasnt alive). We literally threw all our trash out the window.
"we" didn't. Perhaps "you" did.

Littering is just nasty.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Anti pollution, and anti-littering campaigns are the stuff of the left, OP.
Anti littering should be the 'stuff' of any self respecting person.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Im from NJ, and I just remember was the sides of the roads were full of trash. People littering was an everyday occurrence.
sociopaths

Old 02-28-2023, 04:41 PM

4,565 posts, read 2,288,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
No offense, but that means nothing. People today still litter, that's why there is litter on the highways, but most normal people don't willingly throw their trash out the window.

No?
I agree with you. Normal people do not. It’s a low class problem but a problem.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:13 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
Now the uncomfortable truth for a lot of Leftists, who purport to care about the environment, is that many litterers in urban areas are Black.
In my mostly white area of Westchester County an awful lot of the litter is discarded masks. See Feel-Good & Virtuous Litter - Literally Throw-Away Masks.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:32 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,975,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was born in 1961 and it was never OK or a widespread practice to throw trash out the window. Geebus, what 3rd world country are you from?
In the 1950s and 60s, it was quite common for people to throw their trash out the car windows. Also emptied their ashtrays that way.

A government sponsored Do Not Litter campaign (with fines) started to turn around the bad habit.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:07 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
In the 1950s and 60s, it was quite common for people to throw their trash out the car windows. Also emptied their ashtrays that way.

A government sponsored Do Not Litter campaign (with fines) started to turn around the bad habit.
I remember that well. My mother was a culprit. Lady Bird Johnson, the First Lady, spearheaded that campaign.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:10 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where I live, when we owned our house, illegals moved into the community and created flophouses. Once we got overrun with illegals, the amount of litter in the streets and sidewalks increased quite a bit.

We even had a house where 3 Hispanic people bought it and promptly created a flophouse. They bought drywall and made illegal bedrooms in the basement. Also, they made sure that the excess vehicles weren't parked right by their house. After they moved in, we noticed that they weren't putting any trash out for pickup. It turned out that they were piling bags of trash in the backyard. Their next door neighbors, who were legal immigrants from South America, were the ones who reported the backyard situation. They were angry that this was going on right next door to them.

As for people who don't properly sort recyclables --- now where we live, we have trash rooms on each floor. So many times when we go to throw out our trash and recyclables, I find things in recycling that should be in the trash. Believe it or not---one day someone threw a bag of eggshells in the recycling. Never mind that every kitchen has a disposal.
"Created" flophouses? More like the landlord let them do whatever they wanted.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies