Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it Safe?
You can own a firearm, as an endowed right 104 82.54%
You can only own guns by permission of government 13 10.32%
Only government can have firearms 2 1.59%
Only criminals can have firearms 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 06:19 AM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times

Advertisements

They question is not if Americans have the right to own a firearm. They question is should their be limits on what type of firearm should they be able to own. You can own a 50 cal machine gun but you have to take additional steps to own one. You just can't go to Walmart and buy one off the shelf. You can also own a silencer but you have to take additional steps to own one. A semi-auto high capacity rifle should have the same restrictions. You can own one but you need to take additional steps for ownership. The right likes to present this as a all of nothing issue but that is not the only solution.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:19 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The same people screaming about an ar-15 would act like they're totally ok with people owning a mini-14 with wooden stock. Even funnier they would be totally ok with actual weapons of war like an m1 garand.

AR-15 shoot relatively small bullets. There are far deadlier semi auto guns out there. In fact the US military is upgrading their fleet of m4s and m16s because the 5.56 cartridge is no longer effective enough. They are going to more powerful cartridges with better performance.

And this talk about shooting a musket vs an AR 15, I'll be totally honest 1 bullet of each the musket would be far more devastating. The amount of terminal energy in the .58 caliber musket would be devastating it's essentially a slug. No thanks.

Ar15s are absolutely deadly, however it's disingenuous to equate them as some perfect killing machine when there are far better choices that aren't even brought up. Its just a friggin talking point that's repeated as nasuem.

"In fact, the video of the killer i saw they were walking around with what sure looks like is a keltec sub2000. For those who don't know it's a pistol caliber carbine. Essentially it's a 9mm pistol shooting pistol ammo with a longer barrel and a shoulder stock."
But if they said what the shooter actually had, politicians and the media would not understand it, and it would not make as good a press release.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:21 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I can't vote because you didn't give us a choice between regular guns and assault rifles. Why do average citizens need a gun that can fire multiple rounds in a minute?

Also, I don't want potentially violent felons who are out on bail owning guns, so I like the "by permission of government" choice over the "as an endowed right" one. Let's keep guns out of the hands of people who are most likely to misuse them and let's keep our kids safe.
Exactly. There’s laws that keep me from having a bazooka - my choice of weapon…

However the below is very thought provoking.

https://youtu.be/yJqfNroFp8U

Old 03-28-2023, 06:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Exactly. There’s laws that keep me from having a bazooka - my choice of weapon…

However the below is very thought provoking.

https://youtu.be/yJqfNroFp8U
Citizens of sound mind should be able to own bazookas.

Its not guns that are the problem. Its mental illness and a lack of morality.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:

How would you determine which citizens are of sound mind. Many feel that being a US citizen should be the only requirement.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:36 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
They question is not if Americans have the right to own a firearm. They question is should their be limits on what type of firearm should they be able to own. You can own a 50 cal machine gun but you have to take additional steps to own one. You just can't go to Walmart and buy one off the shelf. You can also own a silencer but you have to take additional steps to own one. A semi-auto high capacity rifle should have the same restrictions. You can own one but you need to take additional steps for ownership. The right likes to present this as a all of nothing issue but that is not the only solution.
Why restrict the rifle ? Handguns are used far more in these incidents, crimes, and suicides. Why aren't we restricting handguns ?

I think an illegally modified Glock, which makes it full auto (popular in our inner cities), with a duffle bag full of 33 round mag is far more concerning than a rifle.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:42 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:

Someone would argue about a 30 day waiting period for a bazooka.

The US has 330 million people and over 330 million guns, we have 4% of the worlds population and 40% of the guns. But sure, it must be mental illness, it couldn't be easy access to guns.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why restrict the rifle ? Handguns are used far more in these incidents, crimes, and suicides. Why aren't we restricting handguns ?

I think an illegally modified Glock, which makes it full auto (popular in our inner cities), with a duffle bag full of 33 round mag is far more concerning than a rifle.

Handguns are used more in crime and suicide but they are not used more in mass shootings like these. I am not familiar of any modification that makes a Glock fully auto. I do know they have illegal extended mags that give you more firepower. We are addressing mass shootings here. The overall gun violence issue in this country opens up a larger can of worms.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Someone would argue about a 30 day waiting period for a bazooka.

The US has 330 million people and over 330 million guns, we have 4% of the worlds population and 40% of the guns. But sure, it must be mental illness, it couldn't be easy access to guns.
And yet, 99% of gun owners never shoot anyone.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Handguns are used more in crime and suicide but they are not used more in mass shootings like these. I am not familiar of any modification that makes a Glock fully auto. I do know they have illegal extended mags that give you more firepower. We are addressing mass shootings here. The overall gun violence issue in this country opens up a larger can of worms.
No, but overall handguns are used in most shootings. Last FBI figures that I saw said that rifles, of any type were used in about 2% of all shootings. And the Nashville shooter used what was technically a handgun, not an AR 15.
But the last study the CDC did on guns showed that there are between 500,000 and 3 million defensive gun uses yearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies