Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it Safe?
You can own a firearm, as an endowed right 104 82.54%
You can only own guns by permission of government 13 10.32%
Only government can have firearms 2 1.59%
Only criminals can have firearms 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,413,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And yet, 99% of gun owners never shoot anyone.
It's that 1% that worries me.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:58 AM

29,815 posts, read 14,865,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Same here. And that is why my wife and I have taken our personal protection into our own hands and have CPL's. We also hope we never have to use those firearms other than practicing on paper targets.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

That's a fair point. You don't need to fear the "gun nut" or gun enthusiast. Fear the "person" who only wants 1 or 2.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:05 AM

5,045 posts, read 2,427,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. Look at the MSU shooter. He would not have been able to legally purchase that firearm had his felony not been reduced to a misdemeanor.
You would think at some point people that oppose guns would support law and order. That's the only way it could work. I have posted in a few of these threads and every time I suggest using felonies as at least a stop gap against armed criminals it is met with silence. Stop and frisk would be another tool that works.

They will point to Europe and say gun control is possible. They are right but that is because although sentences are not as long in Europe they don't have catch and release. They should be for something like no bail at all for any gun felony. It would be pretty easy to drop the record level of crimes occurring using what we have already.

They seem to always want to find some root problem and fixate on things they simply can't fix. They will cite mental health for example. Now that's all fine and good but until we solve how the human brain functions violent people belong in prison. Every problem we have they look to solve the unsolvable and have virtually no practical measures for immediate results. We need to get to the roots of the problem the say... the problem is you aren't upholding the law you morons. I am usually more of a gun control advocate on this site. However the utter stupidity on the other side also makes my blood boil, because we have solutions that would work already today.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:05 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,398,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Easy access to guns, glorified versions of guns/violence and lack of mental healthcare. It’s a potato, potahto issue.

Your view: We need better mental healthcare. Easy access to guns is not an issue.

My view: We need better mental healthcare, higher barriers to getting a gun (like how come an 18 year old can buy a gun, but not beer) and laws that guns must be secured in gun safes.

Most mass shooters either bought the guns themselves or used guns owned by family members many of who knew the shooter had mental issues and/or tell a tendency toward violence. And their guns were not properly secured?!?
Gun safes aren't going to do you much good when your house is broken into, now, are they?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:08 AM

50,571 posts, read 47,399,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm talking about mass shootings not shootings in general.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...on-types-used/

Handguns are the most common weapon type used in mass shootings in the United States, with a total of 161 different handguns being used in 111 incidents between 1982 and March 2023. These figures are calculated from a total of 141 reported cases over this period, meaning handguns are involved in about 78 percent of mass shootings.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:10 AM

35,832 posts, read 21,217,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
You would think at some point people that oppose guns would support law and order. That's the only way it could work. I have posted in a few of these threads and every time I suggest using felonies as at least a stop gap against armed criminals it is met with silence. Stop and frisk would be another tool that works.

They will point to Europe and say gun control is possible. They are right but that is because although sentences are not as long in Europe they don't have catch and release. They should be for something like no bail at all for any gun felony. It would be pretty easy to drop the record level of crimes occurring using what we have already.

They seem to always want to find some root problem and fixate on things they simply can't fix. They will cite mental health for example. Now that's all fine and good but until we solve how the human brain functions violent people belong in prison. Every problem we have they look to solve the unsolvable and have virtually no practical measures for immediate results. We need to get to the roots of the problem the say... the problem is you aren't upholding the law you morons. I am usually more of a gun control advocate on this site. However the utter stupidity on the other side also makes my blood boil, because we have solutions that would work already today.
Violent people. Why are we more violent than some other countries? We mostly live better, eat better, have education and more resources to succeed. It’s not just how the brain works. It’s our emotional state.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Ok. Then let’s just have 1 State run gun shop in each State. Where you have to go and fill out your background paperwork and then return in 2 weeks if approved to buy a single gun. That’s not a ban since buying a gun is still legal in the State. If you want multiple guns, rinse and repeat.
Ridiculous to the point of asinine.

We live in CA, it's 760 miles long. We'd have to take an airplane.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:12 AM

46,405 posts, read 27,269,945 times
Quote:
Get back to me when we have mass battings on a weekly basis. Get back to me when a guy with a bat can kill multiple people in the span of a couple seconds.

Your deflection is weak sauce.
How about get back with us when rifles kill more than bats, blunt objects etc.....

Or is that a discussion you don't want to have?

Old 03-28-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Actually, I think we need to do what Israel does. And start with adding mandatory gun safety classes in school and having the citizens own and carry weapons like they would their photo ID!
We used to teach gun safety in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies