Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it Safe?
You can own a firearm, as an endowed right 104 82.54%
You can only own guns by permission of government 13 10.32%
Only government can have firearms 2 1.59%
Only criminals can have firearms 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 09:54 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times

Advertisements

Friendly reminder that it is not up to the US citizen to justify his or her need to exercise one of their Constitutional rights, it is up to the government to justify why they want to take it away and use the Constitutionally outlined methods to amend the Constitution. Saying "why do you need..." as a method for arguing someone should not be allowed to exercise their rights is a non starter. I have my rights, I do not need to justify my need for them.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,747 times
The only reason the people in government want to take your guns is that they are about to do something, or about to get caught having done something that any reasonable person would justifiably shoot them for.

That said, I am a strong advocate for gun safety and training.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:07 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
No one is keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not own guns like ms 13, drug cartels!...
I don't have the time right now to answer all the points you made, but I feel that if you and I were able to discuss the issues face to face we would agree on many points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There’s no way to 100% stop violence with guns or even with baseball bats, but that’s not a reason to not try and mitigate it.
Can you imagine if people started making ultra-lethal baseball bats? Suddenly, baseball bat regulation would make a whole lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The mental health issue is the main problem. If you notice, in the past we didnt have these issues.
Are you serious?

Old 03-28-2023, 10:08 AM

95 posts, read 50,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Please explain how you went from this to this.

Where did I say anything about banning guns? And if regulating guns is such a slippery slope, then it's time to freak out about driving laws then because we regulate cars all the time.

"Hey buddy, us Dems are coming to take your cars!"

Funny, we're not either. We just want a few logical regulations, something like this maybe: Tanks aren't allowed, but they can cars and trucks are okay.

No, where did anybody here say that? I have no problem with gun ownership, nor do most Democrats. We want logical restrictions, not complete bans. In fact, I have plans to buy a gun when I move out to the country.
Cars, and driving are not constitutionally protected. Look it's very simple, if any of your proposed restrictions cannot be equally applied to say the 1st amendment, or any other amendment then it's probably not constitutional.
Would you agree that journalists should have to apply for a license, or have a 2week waiting period before printing a story about a current event, or be limited to using 30 words or less.

And please save your tired old trope about how guns are dangerous, but not words. Politicians have used words and propaganda for centuries to stir up conflicts and wars, killing hundreds of millions.

Join the red states calling for a constitutional convention, make your case there.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:09 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Friendly reminder that it is not up to the US citizen to justify his or her need to exercise one of their Constitutional rights, it is up to the government to justify why they want to take it away and use the Constitutionally outlined methods to amend the Constitution. Saying "why do you need..." as a method for arguing someone should not be allowed to exercise their rights is a non starter. I have my rights, I do not need to justify my need for them.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:13 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post

Exactly.

The only qualifier needed to exercise your Constitutional rights is being an American citizen.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:22 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
The same people screaming about an ar-15 would act like they're totally ok with people owning a mini-14 with wooden stock. Even funnier they would be totally ok with actual weapons of war like an m1 garand.

AR-15 shoot relatively small bullets. There are far deadlier semi auto guns out there. In fact the US military is upgrading their fleet of m4s and m16s because the 5.56 cartridge is no longer effective enough. They are going to more powerful cartridges with better performance.

And this talk about shooting a musket vs an AR 15, I'll be totally honest 1 bullet of each the musket would be far more devastating. The amount of terminal energy in the .58 caliber musket would be devastating it's essentially a slug. No thanks.

Ar15s are absolutely deadly, however it's disingenuous to equate them as some perfect killing machine when there are far better choices that aren't even brought up. Its just a friggin talking point that's repeated as nasuem.

In fact, the video of the killer i saw they were walking around with what sure looks like is a keltec sub2000. For those who don't know it's a pistol caliber carbine. Essentially it's a 9mm pistol shooting pistol ammo with a longer barrel and a shoulder stock.
That's always been the issue. People are afraid of AR-15s and call them evil assault rifles, but ignore functionally identical firearms that have a more conventional appearance. Some of that is intentional, since banning firearms that look like a "normal" hunting rifle is far more difficult than banning firearms that look scary.

The overriding fact is that the AR-15 format is one of the best ever in terms of usability, durability, accuracy, and usefulness. It's annoying that people want them banned because on any given day, one out of 20 million is used to kill others in a manner that gets media attention.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Handguns are used more in crime and suicide but they are not used more in mass shootings like these. I am not familiar of any modification that makes a Glock fully auto. I do know they have illegal extended mags that give you more firepower. We are addressing mass shootings here. The overall gun violence issue in this country opens up a larger can of worms.
Do a search for "glock switch" and you will get a bunch of results describing an item that makes Glock handguns full auto. They are illegal to possess, but that's never stopped criminals.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Gun safes aren't going to do you much good when your house is broken into, now, are they?
It depends on whether you are home or not. I don't think anyone is saying that firearms have to be kept in a safe if the user is at home or is carrying the firearm on their person. Any firearm I am not using or keeping to use is locked up in the safe since they are expensive and I don't see the point in having multiple firearms laying around all over the house.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ridiculous to the point of asinine.

We live in CA, it's 760 miles long. We'd have to take an airplane.
So what? Women are constantly being told abortion isn’t banned because it’s legal 3 States away. At least you could get a gun in your own State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies