Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 01:00 PM

23,589 posts, read 12,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
OP said it was the direct headline from Huffpost. So it's Huffpost that left out all the "facts".
See...MSM knows that many people don't read beyond the headlines.
Apparently neither did the OP, who could have cleared up the media's intentional misconception in the first post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
But the fact the law is about minors is in the headline.
The headline: "Idaho Is About To Become The First State To Restrict Interstate Travel For Abortion"

I'm not seeing where it says "minors".

"A bill would create a whole new crime — dubbed “abortion trafficking” — which aims to limit minors’ ability to travel for abortion care without parental consent."

This^ is not the headline, it's merely an overview of the article.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:07 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The headline: "Idaho Is About To Become The First State To Restrict Interstate Travel For Abortion"

I'm not seeing where it says "minors".

"A bill would create a whole new crime — dubbed “abortion trafficking” — which aims to limit minors’ ability to travel for abortion care without parental consent."

This^ is not the headline, it's merely an overview of the article.
The headline was intentionally misleading. I see it all over the internet, read the headline and get into the meat of the article and many times the headline is not even remotely accurate.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The headline was intentionally misleading. I see it all over the internet, read the headline and get into the meat of the article and many times the headline is not even remotely accurate.
Yep. I can't remember, has it always been this way?

Old 03-29-2023, 01:19 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
I'm totally against abortion except for rape, incest, and life/health of mother. I think human beings should have the ability to control their actions and have a modicum of responsible behavior before the fact. However, I am dead against this sort of "restricting travel" thing. Goes totally against any sort of individual liberty and brings to mind something Nazis would do. Are they going to also start requiring pregnant women to wear armbands?

Again, I'm ANTI abortion. But this is going way too far.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:26 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I do not like abortion at all but neither do I like any restriction on people's right to travel.
This is about someone assisting a minor to get an abortion without the consent of the parents. It's amazing how much these leftists love abortion.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:34 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm totally against abortion except for rape, incest, and life/health of mother. I think human beings should have the ability to control their actions and have a modicum of responsible behavior before the fact. However, I am dead against this sort of "restricting travel" thing. Goes totally against any sort of individual liberty and brings to mind something Nazis would do. Are they going to also start requiring pregnant women to wear armbands?

Again, I'm ANTI abortion. But this is going way too far.
The only restriction this law puts in place is that it requires a minor to have parental consent before they go to another State.

Quote:
House Bill 242, which passed through the state House and is likely to move quickly through the Senate, seeks to limit minors’ ability to travel for abortion care without parental consent.
An "Adult" has no restrictions on travel.
A "Minor" who has parental permission has no restrictions on travel.

Does Abortion trump Parental Rights?

You talk about Rape/Incest. In this rare case, I'd have to look into the details to see how it handles that. But this is even more reason to bring this to the attention of the parents or authorities and hold the man who did that responsible.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:34 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yep. I can't remember, has it always been this way?
I think headlines to some extent have always been a bit eye catching, particularly back in old print newpapers days, but I think it's been taken to a whole other level these days.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Isn't it already illegal to transport a minor across state lines without parental consent?

Old 03-29-2023, 01:40 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yes they all do that. Prefer other sources for news and then gather them all up for better information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies