Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 09:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times

Advertisements

If I had kids going off to college, I'd look up their website and if I saw they had a D.I.E. department or program or mission statements with the D.I.E. words in them - NOPE. You ain't going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 09:36 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
If I had kids going off to college, I'd look up their website and if I saw they had a D.I.E. department or program or mission statements with the D.I.E. words in them - NOPE. You ain't going there.
Germany seems to be the place to get a quality ACADEMIC college education.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:46 AM

37,198 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Foreign students have been flocking to Germany for college degrees and leaving the US in the dust.
Does anyone need to ask why ?
Because undergraduate students in Germany pay no tuition whether they are domestic or international students?

That would be my guess as the number one reason.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:48 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Try looking up the schools demographics https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

The student body is 41.5% none-white or International but the faculty is only 11.3% none-white they want to attract a more diverse faculty to better mirror the students they are serving. I realize that Fox would love to spin this into appearance over substance but as a school that is historically viewed as all white they want education professionals who might not have considered them to take another look.

The plan started in 2021 and is scheduled to spread out over 5 years and hire 40 people with new positions needed for the schools/programs growth. https://www.jconline.com/story/news/...ce/8641222002/, https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...nitiative.html
The data source and collection is unreliable imo.

Says they have no Hispanic staff, which immediately set off my BS detector.

Not sure what they're classifying as "white" for staff but traditionally at US Universities the disparity in racial staffing is a higher amount of asians. They may be counting the hispanics and some of the asians as "white".

Just to be sure, I googled their spanish department faculty....yeah...no hispanic teachers is BS.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:53 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would professors have to reflect the race of the students they are teaching anyway? This whole thing is just stupid! They are tossing merit out the window in the name of diversity? Sounds like discrimination in hiring practices to me. This whole "woke" crap is getting out of hand.
Anti white racism is one of the tenets of the woke bible. Ya gotta wonder if these lefties even hear what they're saying

Old 03-30-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Because undergraduate students in Germany pay no tuition whether they are domestic or international students?

That would be my guess as the number one reason.
No. Foreign students used to flock to the US for their universities regardless of tuition prices.
Enrollment by foreign students down 20% and they pay the full load.

For years the cry was that foreign students were taking up space in STEM programs shutting Americans out.
Well now they aren't and Americans are not taking up those spaces.

Then they blamed covid. Then they blamed Trump. Then they blamed guns.

They have blamed everything BUT the decline of academic focus in colleges while at the same time other countries have heavily invested in universities.

You just don't find this woke, diversity, equity, racism, guilt, etc. in other countries.

Who wants to come here to get a degree in Engineering when you see papers published saying Math is racist ?
Who wants to come here to get a degree when free speech is suppressed on campus ?
(just two small example)

You think people around the world don't read about our social issues being priorities in schools these days ?

Old 03-30-2023, 10:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Why does race even matter? It sounds as though you want the university to discriminate against white people in the hiring process, which would be racist. Are you trying to suggest that racism is acceptable in certain instances?
I made no such statement, the discussion is why a university is pursuing more diversity in its faculty. The school has a history of being predominantly white and that's changed but the faculty hasn't and many minority candidates may skip over applying because of historic practices. The linked article says 40 people over 5 years, I don't see where it mentions denial of candidates because of race just that they want to diversify.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I made no such statement, the discussion is why a university is pursuing more diversity in its faculty. The school has a history of being predominantly white and that's changed but the faculty hasn't and many minority candidates may skip over applying because of historic practices. The linked article says 40 people over 5 years, I don't see where it mentions denial of candidates because of race just that they want to diversify.
Why is diversity so important ?

I don't care what color skin a professor has if he knows his stuff and is a good teacher.
Isn't that the reason people go to college ?
Skin color should have nothing to do with getting a job.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:20 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
And what would that look like/sound like, exactly?

Old 03-30-2023, 10:35 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
In this country, the only place the meritocracy exists is sports. So let’s not kid ourselves..
Only some sports — not women’s swim teams or sports anymore…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies