Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 09:55 PM

10,663 posts, read 7,175,973 times

Advertisements

Never heard the song, dont really like it or think its good enough to make radio play.

As for the Newark, the race riots it was the worst thing to happen to the City. The victims were white people who were forced to leave the City or be killed. Much of towns surrounding Essex county people have roots from when they and their families used to live in Newark.

As for someone who used to live in Newark, I can say it has the bones of a once great city. Nothing but thugs, drugs and gangs there now. If the City burnt down it would be a gain for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 10:27 PM

9,584 posts, read 4,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Normally, we don't post music videos in the P&OC Forum -- but I think this one deserves special consideration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cN6wyCHlaU
56 years have passed since this recording came out in the summer of 1967. Newark had just erupted in rioting, and Detroit was about to follow. ABC's so-called "contemporary" (top-40-formatted) network wouldn't touch it, but my old friends at CKLW, across the border in Canada, did, and Newsweek ran a short feature on it a month or so later.

And over a half-century later, Janis Ian is still going strong.

We probably don't agree on a lot of things, but "Nice Shot, Lady!"
I have never heard this song before, despite being 62 years old. It's beautiful and speaks a truth that is still relevant today. Thank you for posting this.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Never heard the song, dont really like it or think its good enough to make radio play.

As for the Newark, the race riots it was the worst thing to happen to the City. The victims were white people who were forced to leave the City or be killed. Much of towns surrounding Essex county people have roots from when they and their families used to live in Newark.

As for someone who used to live in Newark, I can say it has the bones of a once great city. Nothing but thugs, drugs and gangs there now. If the City burnt down it would be a gain for the state.
That video is not the original recording. The original recording that got all the radio play is better - same song, but the original is better musically.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:05 PM

13,119 posts, read 9,679,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
This song was pretty heady stuff for 1967. I remember very well what I was up to when this 45 hit the charts in June of 1967. I walked over to my favorite department store- Arlan's,and bought the 45 as soon as I heard it, but I didn't quite embrace the lyrics. Well, I was 16 at the time. The next month I bought the album and after my Dad got me an 8 track player for my high school graduation, Hey, I was rolling on in my '56 Ford!

And speaking of controversy, another song recorded by a gal who knew about cotton and knew about the Mississippi Delta released a song called "Ode To Billy Joe." Bobby Gentry hit the charts at #1 and it stayed at the top of the Billboard Charts for all of August that year while the Beatles 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" were blowing minds for the album collector. I remember getting together with my high school friends every Saturday night at our local pizza joint and those lyrics got us to thinking in a big way.

Interracial relationships! It was a ways from the Monkees, Gary Lewis/Playboys, etc., etc. A long ways!

What did "Ode to Billie Joe" have to do with interracial relationships?

Old 05-20-2023, 05:18 PM

13,119 posts, read 9,679,188 times
Quote:
Normally, we don't post music videos in the P&OC Forum -- but I think this one deserves special consideration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cN6wyCHlaU
56 years have passed since this recording came out in the summer of 1967. Newark had just erupted in rioting, and Detroit was about to follow. ABC's so-called "contemporary" (top-40-formatted) network wouldn't touch it, but my old friends at CKLW, across the border in Canada, did, and Newsweek ran a short feature on it a month or so later.

We probably don't agree on a lot of things, but "Nice Shot, Lady!"
Yep, and has aged gracefully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ymcnG6t98

I was in college in 1967, studying engineering, so didn't have a lot of time to concentrate on a song's lyrics - it was just something pleasant playing in the background.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:59 PM

26,096 posts, read 22,290,891 times
I was probably 13 years old, but never remember hearing it. Truly, other than from over hearing the news about the race issues, especially coming out of Detroit, I wasn't that aware of racism being that big of an issue. I grew up in Cass County, MI. It was a final stop on the Underground Railroad. Our population was 1/3 black in our school, but the only difference in white and black there was skin color/physical features, as integration had existed for so long, farmers and factory workers were just what everyone was.

I did learn that my experience growing up was unique, and I feel very blessed to have grown up where I did, when I did and with whom I did.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:14 PM

42,034 posts, read 75,463,531 times
My goodness, people, I was 8 years old in 1967 and I remember hearing and liking this song. And because of some of my older relatives, I knew what lines like "she called you 'boy' instead of your name" meant. Thanks to my mother, I knew that was not a nice thing to say.

Quote:
ABC's so-called "contemporary" (top-40-formatted) network wouldn't touch it, but my old friends at CKLW, across the border in Canada, did
I wonder if CKLW is where I heard it, too. I listened to CHUM as well, and stations from Buffalo as well as local stations. So who knows?
Quote:
She's always been fabulous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Luckily for the rest of us, radio programmers did not agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies