Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should entitlements be cut back from the federal budget?
Yes, we should cut back on entitlement spending 59 57.84%
No, we should not cut back on entitlement spending 43 42.16%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:05 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,312,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Social Security is not an entitlement. We paid into all of our working lives. How about we cut actual entitlements like welfare, medicaid, section 8, etc..? Or we cut the salaries of politicians who have mismanaged our tax money for years and years? No one ever suggests that do they?
According to the AARP Social security is an Entitlement

Federal programs that guarantee payments to individuals who meet certain criteria set by law. The Social Security Act, for example, guarantees any American age 62 or older benefits according to a formula fixed by law.

I did find the same thing on the GOA website but it was 20 pages long the AARP website was easier to pull the definitions.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:06 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, but SS is different in my eyes bc it’s literally owed to us. It would be a bait and switch to make cuts to those already paying in.
Perhaps modifications could be done in a way where changes impact those at the beginning of their careers, so there is not a huge mismatch between what is paid in and what is received? I don’t have an answer for it, but I do know that SS needs attention as it’s on the path to insolvency. Maybe cuts to other entitlements can bolster SS? But we know our politicians lack the willpower to even discuss these topics.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:07 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Social Security is not an entitlement. We paid into all of our working lives. How about we cut actual entitlements like welfare, medicaid, section 8, etc..? Or we cut the salaries of politicians who have mismanaged our tax money for years and years? No one ever suggests that do they?

A terrific answer. SS is not an entitlement.

The Government could save BILLIONS by closing the Border and deporting every Illegal Alien.

It is hard to imagine that an Illegal Alien whose first act on entering this country was to break the law will go on to become a tax payer and a contributing member of our society.

We are reaching a tipping point where more people will be living off the system then paying into it. We already have record numbers of homeless living on the streets and Biden has let in Millions more that are being put up in Hotels. How much is that costing us? How much will it cost us as these people need healthcare and education?

Another big money budget item is the money wasted on battling Climate change.

There are cuts that can be made but it is fear mongering when they tell us that SS is going to take a hit.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:09 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
A terrific answer. SS is not an entitlement.

The Government could save BILLIONS by closing the Border and deporting every Illegal Alien.

It is hard to imagine that an Illegal Alien whose first act on entering this country was to break the law will go on to become a tax payer and a contributing member of our society.

We are reaching a tipping point where more people will be living off the system then paying into it. We already have record numbers of homeless living on the streets and Biden has let in Millions more that are being put up in Hotels. How much is that costing us? How much will it cost us as these people need healthcare and education?

Another big money budget item is the money wasted on battling Climate change.

There are cuts that can be made but it is fear mongering when they tell us that SS is going to take a hit.
SS is most defiantly an entitlement. Please stop with the disinformation.

https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/ai...sifinalrev.pdf

Old 05-19-2023, 08:20 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
With congress debating raising the debt limit lot of talk about cutting back on entitlement spending part of the federal budget. I was wondering how many here think it should be cut. Social Security is almost 20% of the federal budget alone or 1.22 trillion.

Social Security is not an entitlement.

If I contribute to it for decades with a promise of a return, that's my money.

Social Security would work fine if:

1) Only people who pay into it qualified and qualify for only as much as they contribute.

2) Government didn't use it as a slush fund.

The pay it forward model doesn't work in any other scenario.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:22 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
This. I cannot in good conscience support cuts to SS.
Well, when it goes broke in 2035 (I think is the current estimate), you might have to.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:23 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Yes, but SS is different in my eyes bc it’s literally owed to us. It would be a bait and switch to make cuts to those already paying in.
Sooner or later, you run out of other people's money. And if the spending levels to the point we are at now, your big fat SS check won't buy you much anyway.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:23 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
According to the AARP Social security is an Entitlement

Federal programs that guarantee payments to individuals who meet certain criteria set by law. The Social Security Act, for example, guarantees any American age 62 or older benefits according to a formula fixed by law.

I did find the same thing on the GOA website but it was 20 pages long the AARP website was easier to pull the definitions.

AARP is a Left wing shill.

I have no interest in their opinion.

If I pay into it, it's my money.... Period.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Social Security is not an entitlement.

If I contribute to it for decades with a promise of a return, that's my money.

Social Security would work fine if:

1) Only people who pay into it qualified and qualify for only as much as they contribute.

2) Government didn't use it as a slush fund.

The pay it forward model doesn't work in any other scenario.
The Social Security Administration defines SS as an entitlement.

https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/ai...sifinalrev.pdf

Old 05-19-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
AARP is a Left wing shill.

I have no interest in their opinion.

If I pay into it, it's my money.... Period.
The issue with that is virtually everyone on SS for several years draws more than they paid in. It's just math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies