Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:08 AM

59,384 posts, read 27,561,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If that's so, why are Republicans fighting so hard to keep them from being represented? Obviously they aren't so confident.
"Obviously". you don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 08:29 AM

22,218 posts, read 19,530,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and political party in mind."

So has Md. and I'd bet many other dem run states.

My county was growing in the number of repubs.

We had a woman repub in the House for years.

The dems, being in control split my county 4 ways into dem run districts.

"people in glass houses..."!
Few points to make on this

1. I won't dispute the fact that Maryland had gerrymandered and tried to, though similar to Alabama the lastmap was smacked down by the courts (though for different reasons). Unlike what Alabama tried to do, however they re-drew a map

2. The woman Repub in the House I assume you are referring to was Connie Morrella. While redistricting certainly didn't help, the district was already Dem and trending more that way, also over time there was less split ticket voting. She was a liberal Republican in a Dem trending Gore +24 district, it was a matter of time before she lost.

3. Anne Arundel was more Republican then (certainly isn't anymore), but notice how the GOP didn't really challenge how it was split. When the GOP sued over the districts it was more about where the 6th pushed into Montgomery or what the Eastern Shore district was combined with, not the splitting of Anne Arundel

Last edited by Smash255; 09-08-2023 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-08-2023, 09:00 AM

78,734 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It can be both a bipartians problem AND a problem republicans do more than Dems.

Quick score card. A fair map would mean Dems gain

+1 Alabama
+1 Arkansas
+3 Florida
+2 Georgia
+1 Iowa
+1 Louisiana
+1 Mississippi
+1 Missouri
+2 Ohio
+2 South Carolina
+1 Tennessee
+1 Utah
+5 Texas
+1 Wisconsin

Thats +23 seats

Republicans gain at best

+ 3 Illinois
+4 New York

If you want to push it, +1 in Maryland,( Republicans already control the swing seat in Oregon)

you are talking about a net gain of 15 for Dems.
Whenever someone posts something like that and leaves off the source, it's invariably from someplace that they're embarassed to admit they got their information from. Like Alex Jones or Mother Jones type sources.

I'm here to have a discussion, not play games....so establish the impact from a reasonable source and we can then have that discussion.

P.S. Gerrymandering can be done for other reasons than just R vs. D, go look at the Black and Hispanic districts carved out of Chicago for Chuy and whathisface that have been in congress for like 30+ years each. No R is going to win there...but it's still Gerrymandered like crazy.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:09 AM

1,029 posts, read 654,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Whenever someone posts something like that and leaves off the source, it's invariably from someplace that they're embarassed to admit they got their information from. Like Alex Jones or Mother Jones type sources.

I'm here to have a discussion, not play games....so establish the impact from a reasonable source and we can then have that discussion.

P.S. Gerrymandering can be done for other reasons than just R vs. D, go look at the Black and Hispanic districts carved out of Chicago for Chuy and whathisface that have been in congress for like 30+ years each. No R is going to win there...but it's still Gerrymandered like crazy.
So what's your source? Just the usual MSM librul media response and nothing else... typical.

Things are so far off center any attempts to justly level the playing field is seen as an attack by the far right.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:28 AM

78,734 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
So what's your source? Just the usual MSM librul media response and nothing else... typical.

Things are so far off center any attempts to justly level the playing field is seen as an attack by the far right.
If you make a claim, reasonably source it, has nothing to do with R or D and I gave an example of bad sources from both the far left and far right.

Did I hurt your feelings making fun of Alex Jones? Or Mother Jones?

Old 09-08-2023, 09:31 AM

73,155 posts, read 62,859,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It doesn't matter. Blacks are going to be voting for Trump this time around.
You do not know that for a fact.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If that's so, why are Republicans fighting so hard to keep them from being represented? Obviously they aren't so confident.
Even better, why has this pattern taken place over the past 2 decades in Alabama? This goes back before the MAGA slogan.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:50 AM

829 posts, read 397,605 times
Careful - if you make an honest attempt to remove gerrymandering you will have people claiming that doing so will dilute their vote, and not Republicans either. Many cities are gerrymandered to the hilt and represent large #'s of voters.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mich...ry?id=82542423

Old 09-08-2023, 03:38 PM

1,029 posts, read 654,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you make a claim, reasonably source it, has nothing to do with R or D and I gave an example of bad sources from both the far left and far right.

Did I hurt your feelings making fun of Alex Jones? Or Mother Jones?
So nothing. As usual, absolutely nothing. Not surprised.

Old 09-08-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Agree 100%. Number of residents and geographic borders is all that's needed to create the districts. Sounds like a job for AI.
Sometimes even AI doesn't make everything perfect. AI needs human beings to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies