Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2023, 06:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
After Bill Barr said that Trump was toast, Donald lashed out on Truth Social:

Bill Barr, a “disgruntled former employee” & lazy Attorney General who was weak & totally ineffective. …. Turn off FoxNews when that “Gutless Pig” is on!

Then on Roger Stone's radio program:

“When I talk about a slob like Bill Barr, just a stupid person in a lot of ways...."

Look, whatever you think of Trump or Barr, we just can't have a President who talks like that. We should expect at least a minimum level of decorum from our leaders. This is so un-Presidential!

But Bill Barr didn't say he was toast. He said if the indictment info. could be proven, then he was toast.

So Trump -- instead of saying indictment overstates, is wrong, misinformed....he goes after Barr.

So it leaves us to believe indictment is accurate right?

Old 06-12-2023, 06:33 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,589,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Otherwise its bad for the future of America.
Not prosecuting a former president for crimes he or she committed would be bad for the future of America. It would signal that you could do anything you wanted if you get elected president and get away with it. This is supposed to be a nation where everybody, including the POTUS, is subject to the same laws. Letting somebody get away with something just because he or she was president would set a terrible example. This is not a monarchy where we have a ruler who's above the law: Even the president is not above the law.
Quote:
Presidents are special. That is a fact.
No, presidents are not, and should not be, special.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:34 PM

7,667 posts, read 8,746,272 times
He may rant, but he got things done.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,074,148 times
So we all agree the trial can reveal all we don 't know.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:37 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times
Quote:
I conflicted on this and I am not a fan of Trump but there is clearly piling on here by the left as well as a lot of hope that Trump lives out his remaining years in prison. They smell blood and cannot contain their glee at all of this

I have two problems with this.

1. I don't think a former POTUS should get charged with crimes. Rape or murder. OK that would be the exceptions. Otherwise its bad for the future of America. No everyone is not equal in this country or we would all get lifetime secret service protection. Presidents are special. That is a fact.
2. I think the FBI used restraint when they asked for the documents Trump had. But the prosecutors in both NY and Smith are both way over the top with the charges. In both cases there are simply no previous similar cases treated like this. Not that I feel sorry for Trump but this opens a Pandora's Box for future presidents.

Other than that Trump has brought this on himself. If he did things the correct way, like not cheating on your wife and not do stupid preventable things that you should have thought through better. He would not be in this situation.

How can you say the charges are over the too when compares to similar cases when there are no similar cases.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:37 PM

6,139 posts, read 2,757,071 times
I don't think Trump voters care when Trump runs his mouth he's only been doing it ever since he became president. But it does help the Dems him being a pompous A.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:44 PM

1,397 posts, read 680,183 times
Quote:
I don't understand why it has taken so long.
Things will heat up after New Hampshire and Iowa. This is pure dirty politics and election interference.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:44 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times
Quote:
I think the Petraeus case might be the closest. He lied when he left the government about whether he retained any classified documents and then after the FBI raided his house he lied and said no one else read them. And of course he showed them to his mistress. So he took documents that did not belong to him. Lied to them about having them and showed them to people without proper credentials. And he stored them in a unlocked desk in his house.

And with all that he never got charged and was essentially fined for what he did with probation. A lot of parallels to the Trump case. Obviously the sheer volume of documents is greater with Trump. And being inside a business where any number of people could have seen them including his staff is different and worse. But you go from no jail time no charges filed with Petraeus to 500 years in prison or whatever for Trump.

Petraeus case resulted in a plea deal. Trump's case involves many more documents, more deception, him directing staffers to move documents. Also, one key putting aside the differences in the two cases is the laws and penalties regarding classified documents were pushed by Trump to become stiffer and he signed it into law in 2018.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:49 PM

30,211 posts, read 11,870,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How can you say the charges are over the too when compares to similar cases when there are no similar cases.
There people who have committed the same crimes. Like Gen Petraeus and Sandy Berger and you can even go back to Bill Clinton who committed crimes regarding Monica Lewinsky. You can cover everything Trump is indicted for with those three people. Clinton could have been charged after he got out of the WH but Bush did not go there. Clinton clearly obstructed justice.

Go back to Nixon. Ford pardoned him to heal the country. That was the right thing to do. Like giving Bill Clinton a pass. That was also the right thing to do.

Its very easy for a red state to come up with some new law that would make them be able to charge Biden with a crime. Like make it a felony for someone to ban gas stoves. Biden gets out of office and he get charged with a felony. I am just spit balling maybe not the best example but there could be some creative moves made that would put Biden being charged by all the red states. And you know they are going to try something like this. It would restrict the ability of a president to do their job if they are worried about being charged with state crimes when they leave office.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:49 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Agreed. There's no accountability for a president to have the country's best interest at heart? No one, and I mean no one can claim to be a patriot and not be outraged that an ex-president absconded with the nation's secrets, hid them after being asked about them, and repeatedly LIED about it. Bring back the firing squad.
Not to mention keeping our nation’s secrets strewn about in a toilet. Or next to a copy machine. That’s the way to handle our most secret documents? No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies