Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2023, 05:51 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
So in what universe is it OK to force someone who wasn’t ready to raise a child to do so? I often rail against stupid laws, I remember the NYC soda law restricting sodas to a certain size. That sucks. Also here in NY, you have to pay 5 cents for a f**************ing grocery bag. The gun laws here are majorly awful and wrong. But somehow, unlike a nickel per bag where that’s just another part of an already inflated part of the cost of living here, it’s somehow celebrated that abortion is more costly.

Y’all are weird. I don’t know how y’all don’t see the raised cost for Medicaid, foster services, etc. as a positive. A big reason why I left the pubs is because there’s a major dissonance between what they want to actually do and how that actually impacts people.
Who is being forced to raise a child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 05:58 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Unless a woman is raped, and detained until she delivers...no one is being "forced".
In a decent and civilized society, nobody gets to kill Innocent Others just to ease burdens or satisfy selfish desires.
There is nothing more negatively impactful than being killed and deprived of ones' Future Existence.
I was raped when I got pregnant, but I have been against abortion since I first learned about what it was and I have never been the type to harm someone.

The government used the fact that I didn't abort my daughter against me when they were pushing to give my rapist custody. "Only a severely mentally ill woman would give birth to her rapist's child," the psychologist said when he was recommending that I was too dangerous to even visit with her.

Now, the same state that did that to me made abortion illegal just years later. It's like a punch in the face.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
What makes you think that it was an UNINTENDED pregnancy? For a "poor woman", another baby means more money from the government and it means that the government will be continuing to provide financial support for the child AND the mother for at least the next 18 years.

So, actually, the woman is simply making a financial decision to keep the money rolling in while she has another kid which the government will support and will provide a place for the child AND mother to live.
The Brookings study classified the pregnancies as unintended.

But you do have a point. Poor women DO have a financial incentive to keep having babies even if their pregnancies are unintended.

The bottom line is that abortion just ISN'T a popular choice for an unintended pregnancy among any income group. The vast majority of women with unintended pregnancies DON'T abort. We're still at the point where most people are averse to killing others, whether that's due to ethical, moral, religious, or whatever reasons.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Remember that Roe was overturned because the Mississippi law limited abortion to 15 weeks, 3 weeks longer than allowed by France and some activist lawyer decided to sue to make it 40.
Bet they're not happy with the result of their ill-advised attempt at overreach.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sure your red state has the right, none of anyone’s business.

They have the right to burden poor minority women with travel and increased cost, break out the champagne.
Again, even before Dobbs and some states placed further restrictions on abortion, it just wasn't a popular choice among the poor. Less than 9% of poor women chose to abort their unintended pregnancy. Stop thinking the goal of every woman is to kill her baby.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That doesn't seem so as poor women are the least likely to abort an unintended pregnancy.

Abortion Rates by Income Level, Unplanned Pregnancies:

Poverty Level: 8.6%
100%-200%: 7.8%
200%-300%: 16.2%
300%-400%: 8.0%
Over 400%: 31.9%

Source: Brookings Institution

More than 91% of poor women DON'T abort their babies in the event of an unintended pregnancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did you ever consider they can’t afford to take off work and stay in a hotel a thousand miles from their home aside from the medical costs.
Those statistics are from BEFORE Dobbs, not after.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:33 AM

6,002 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Quite a lot of Republicans are against abortion, so claiming that all of them are not anti-abortion is not correct.
Pardon my grammatical error. I meant to say "Not all Republicans are anti-abortion."

Old 06-25-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I wish we cared more about gun violence killing our kids.
Let's look at the numbers. Per year in the US, age 19 and under...

Killed by guns: 4,357
Killed by convenience abortion: 914,000

210 times as many are killed by convenience abortion (I just don't want a baby) than guns.

AND Black women have a 5.2 times higher abortion rate than white women, so there's a Black genocide going on here, as well.

Old 06-25-2023, 06:51 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
My daughter had a D&C done a few months ago to remove a dead 10 week old fetus. Wouldn't a D&C cost the same whether the fetus is dead or alive? This is an abortion? More money! That is for a medical reason? Less Money? In her case an autopsy was done to determine cause of death. That would certainly cost more money than a D&C for an abortion. Fetus had Trisomy. Chromosomal defects carried on the egg, or sperm. She had multiple very early miscarriages previously. Both she and her husband had health insurance through their jobs which paid for it.

Her doctor advised sterilization. Only going to happen again and again. Use "multiple forms of BC" until menopause?

Old 06-25-2023, 06:52 AM

6,002 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
There have been time limits for cash welfare assistance since the 90s. In some states the limit is a year or two. The women are not getting 18 years of welfare assistance and haven't been for many years now.
Oh, so a kid who has reached the age of 7 or 8 no longer needs food to eat, clothes to wear, or a roof over his head? You might want to read the following information link:

https://www.wealthysinglemommy.com/g...nt-assistance/

"Government help for single mothers with low or no income: 18 assistance programs
By Emma Johnson
|
Updated Jun. 20, 2023
(originally published Jan. 19, 2022)

According to the latest U.S. Census Bureau data, women are the head of household in 80% of all single-parent families. Within those families, 29% of single moms are unemployed.

If you’re currently out of work and struggling, the government can provide financial assistance and essential items for you and your children. These programs are being cited as a great success in reducing child poverty by 59% over the past three decades, including helping many single moms work.

Keep reading to review our comprehensive list of government help for single mothers with no income.

Cash assistance
Food assistance
Housing assistance
Child care assistance
Government assistance for family caregivers

For each of these reputable government welfare programs, we’ve broken down the qualifications to receive assistance and provided links to apply."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies