Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 06:09 PM

17,476 posts, read 14,724,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There was a point that I didn't like the term "subhumans." That time has long passed. I won't even divulge here what I would have ordered were I "king of America."
One of the only things Hillary ever got right was calling these idiots "super predators".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 07:22 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Stuff like this has been going on for over a decade. And not just in Chicago. Milwaukee, Kansas City, Philadelphia, etc.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:58 PM

I went to see if stuff like this is happening in Atlanta or Charlotte. Nothing. This seems to be a trend in Midwestern cities or East Coast cities.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:01 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff like this has been going on for over a decade. And not just in Chicago. Milwaukee, Kansas City, Philadelphia, etc.
Which makes what's going on today worse.

This reminds me of a community meeting I went to with my mother in San Francisco years ago. Those in attendance were basically from a large apartment complex close to SF State University. The SFPD were there to discuss the increase in crime and what they planned to do about it.

When residents started talking about the crime (car break ins, auto theft, muggings) the police officer in charge said, "Well, you know I too have had my car broken into..." and I'm thinking so what?
We're here to discuss what the SFPD plans to do about the increase in crime in our neighborhood. How about more patrols? I can’t remember what the police said they would do but I do remember leaving the meeting disappointed.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:04 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times
Quote:
I went to see if stuff like this is happening in Atlanta or Charlotte. Nothing. This seems to be a trend in Midwestern cities or East Coast cities.

Street takeovers are very common in California. For awhile, it seemed like it was happening every week. You would typically see them doing donuts in the intersection, and often igniting flammable liquid on the road for added entertainment. Sometimes they would even set themselves on fire in the process, or the cars doing donuts would hit people in the crowd.

I'm sure it happens in Portland and Seattle, but how often I don't know.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Street takeovers are very common in California. For awhile, it seemed like it was happening every week.
I lived in the Atlanta area for a long time. Street takeovers in the city of Atlanta are nearly unheard of. Every time I hear about street takeovers, flash mob violence, etc, I hear about Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and yes, places in California. Even Jackson, MS, with its sky-high murder rate, doesn't seem to be having street takeovers.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I lived in the Atlanta area for a long time. Street takeovers in the city of Atlanta are nearly unheard of. Every time I hear about street takeovers, flash mob violence, etc, I hear about Chicago, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and yes, places in California. Even Jackson, MS, with its sky-high murder rate, doesn't seem to be having street takeovers.

With regards to Chicago, they chose the soft on crime approach. The police will very just flash their lights at the mob, but not engage with them. So the crowd basically knows they can take over the street and the police won't do anything about it in many cases.

Even after the results have demonstrated this approach to be an epic failure, the Chicago politicians and their voters still favor it. That's how you get elected there... By being as far left as possible.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:17 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Because Chicago chose the soft on crime approach. The police will very often send the cars out to flash the lights but not engage the crowd. So the crowd basically knows they can take over the street and the police won't do anything about it in many cases.

Even after the results have demonstrated this approach to be an epic fail, the Chicago politicians still favor it. That's how you get elected there... By being as far left as possible.
Don't assault/rob any taxpayers.... and you can get your twerk on, damage cars and it's all good.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
With regards to Chicago, they chose the soft on crime approach. The police will very just flash their lights at the mob, but not engage with them. So the crowd basically knows they can take over the street and the police won't do anything about it in many cases.

Even after the results have demonstrated this approach to be an epic failure, the Chicago politicians and their voters still favor it. That's how you get elected there... By being as far left as possible.
I have to wonder if this is a Chicago-specific (or urban Midwest) issue. Atlanta is ran by Democrats too. And it's majority Black (or was up until 2020. Now it's more like 48% Black). Some would look at Atlanta, and expect this kind of stuff to happen there. Atlanta hasn't been especially hard on crime as of late. But even with its own issues, teenagers manage not to act like this (such as what we see in Chicago). Maybe I haven't seen it or heard about it yet.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I have to wonder if this is a Chicago-specific (or urban Midwest) issue. Atlanta is ran by Democrats too. And it's majority Black (or was up until 2020. Now it's more like 48% Black). Some would look at Atlanta, and expect this kind of stuff to happen there. Atlanta hasn't been especially hard on crime as of late. But even with its own issues, teenagers manage not to act like this (such as what we see in Chicago). Maybe I haven't seen it or heard about it yet.

Not all democrats are the same, or view things the same. There's quite a bit of difference in attitude and outlook between a blue collar working class type democrat, a full bore Marxist type, and a highly educated upper class snobby elitists liberal type. The type of democrats running a city has a lot to do with the results and outcomes that city will experience.

Democrats who have worked hard for most of what they have are going to favor a confrontational approach to dealing with the mob vs allowing them to ransack and destroy that in which said democrat has worked for. Then there are democrats who have made their money the easy way, often skimming off the top with little in the way of risk. Or perhaps they don't even work at all. When someone hasn't had to put much effort in earning what they have, they won't value it nor will they commit much effort taking care of it. They are going to be less likely to choose the seemingly risky confrontational approach.

I would also say the culture of Chicago is different. There's a lot more young hipster types there who don't have as many positions. They tend to favor experiences over possessions. Chicago is a great place to go if you don't have much stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies