Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 10:26 AM

6,997 posts, read 2,715,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
True.

But top tier schools put kids in the realm of the elite of this world - it's a prime networking opportunity for life that cannot be matched by, let's say, Illinois State University.
True, but true elites are not going to waste their time with a "David Hogg". He may get into the party, but won't be invited to dance.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:27 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Yeah this changes nothing, really.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/statu...894400/photo/1

Old 06-29-2023, 10:27 AM

4,157 posts, read 4,178,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Ivy League will now become the Asian League schools as blacks, hispanics and yes, whites too, all come up short on meritorious admission. Whites will still be accepted though as legacy admissions as will the children of black persons who were admitted and graduated and became successful under affirmative action.
Isn’t this a wake up call? Asian culture value education.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:29 AM

6,826 posts, read 14,043,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
We're not even on the same page of this discussion.

I never said they become white.

What I've said is that the boost one gets from a top tier university is huge.

I find his post very confusing. He seems to be saying a minority with a degree from a ivy league school makes him white

Old 06-29-2023, 10:31 AM

8,246 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Glad to hear the Supreme Court just ended systemic racism in America!
They will probably still do it and just be more stealth about it.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:31 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Dig it, my niece scored remarkably high on the LSAT (I think 168), but she is a white female, and she grew up in a wealthy zip code. Yet, she was accepted. My guess is many applicants got a similar score.

So, what was her edge?

1. She's straight - but belonged to a high school club involved in gay rights.

2. Did volunteer work two summers for Nancy Pelosi

3. After graduating UCB she went to work for the ACLU.

She's of course smart but not like her brother whose test scores were off the chart (but was never accepted into any of the Ivy league universities he applied for.)

My guess is those involved in the decision making LOVED her non-academic background.

So, when it came to other White women (and let's face it that's who she was competing against.) my niece was tough to beat.
What is interesting and not talked about much is I have Medical students that had to go similar routes to get into their State Medical schools because GPAs and test scores are so close between applicants its hard to differentiate yourself anymore with just "Merit".

I literally have Medical students rounding with my group that had published papers before entering medical school. That was Genius level Doogie Howser stuff 15-20 years ago and now it's becoming more and more frequent. Again I am talking about entering a State Medical school not even Ivy League. This is also something I hear the College of Nursing complain about as well lately, they have so many students applying before their 3rd-year undergrad applicants with near-perfect GPAs, volunteer time, research time, on and on that the old processes of looking at merit are not working anymore, it still leaves you with over 200 people for 30-40 slots each year.

The students that have to work or have something in their life outside of school that requires attention are getting pushed out even at the state level, I cannot imagine what it looks like at the Ivy League level.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:32 AM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times
The value of an Ivy League school isn't so much the learning/classes, although those are certainly good, it's really access to the best professors and the other (brilliant) students. Those connections can be close and life-long, leading to amazing opportunities for future collaboration that otherwise wouldn't be possible.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:34 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Dig it, my niece scored remarkably high on the LSAT (I think 168) and was accepted into the Havard Law Dept. However, she is a white, and she grew up in a wealthy zip code. Now, I'm sure many applicants got a top score on the LSAT so what was her edge?

1. She's straight - but belonged to a high school club involved in gay rights.

2. Did volunteer work two summers for Nancy Pelosi

3. After graduating UCB she went to work for the ACLU.

She's of course smart but not like her brother whose test scores were off the chart (but was never accepted into any of the Ivy league universities he applied for.)

My guess is those involved in the decision making LOVED her non-academic background.

So, when it came to other White women (and let's face it that's who she was competing against.) my niece was tough to beat.
lol.

My kid's own application package for undergrad was similarly sculpted - not in the overt way as your niece though. Major props to her though.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:36 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
True, but true elites are not going to waste their time with a "David Hogg". He may get into the party, but won't be invited to dance.
I get what you're saying but JD Vance & Ron DeSantis would probably beg to differ.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:37 AM

588 posts, read 225,547 times
Republicans once again have to step in and end racist practices brought forth by the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.