Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it OK to prosecute women for out of state abortions?
Yes 12 5.02%
No 227 94.98%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 03:52 PM

461 posts, read 314,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They don't have to comply, they can choose not to sell it in California. California isn't forcing anything on any state, they're simply saying "if the sows weren't allowed to move freely in humane conditions, we don't want to buy your pork".

I think the better analogy in this case was the poster who asked if non-legal states could prosecute citizens who go to legal states to smoke pot.
Basically the same thing. Using a product or service that's illegal in the home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:55 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,476,466 times
No way in hell

Old 07-21-2023, 04:32 PM

89,330 posts, read 45,076,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
The procedure isn't crossing state lines, and neither is the way the pork is raised.
However, the results of the raising and the survivor of the abortion procedure, (the egg donor), are crossing state lines.

If California can dictate that their citizens can't buy specific pork, why can't Tennessee dictate that their citizens can't access a type of procedure that normally isn't needed to save a life, but instead takes a life?

So, more like oranges and tangerines. the product is different, but the law wouldn't see that much difference in the application of the logic behind it.
Allowing one state to dictate how another state operates, is a straight-line correlation especially when you consider that you are dealing with a citizen of the first state and that the state the citizen resides in does have in effect the duty to provide for the safety of that citizen.

Plus, if california can dictate how its citizens eat, why can't Tennessee dictate about the protection of its children?

Personally, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't like it when the laws aren't applied equally to all parties. What one state can do, another state can also do.
That's not what California is doing. They're dictating that such pork cannot be sold in California. They're not dictating what other states can do nor what their residents can buy in another state and bring back into California for their own personal use/consumption.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:34 PM

89,330 posts, read 45,076,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Basically the same thing. Using a product or service that's illegal in the home state.
The product itself is not illegal. It's just illegal to sell it in California.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not what California is doing. They're dictating that such pork cannot be sold in California. They're not dictating what other states can do nor what their residents can buy in another state and bring back into California for their own personal use/consumption.
And Tennessee is just saying abortions cannot be performed in Tennessee. And by dictating how pork should be produced in another state in order to sell in california, california is in fact dictating standards that other states have to adhere to in order to provide pork to consumers in california.

The standards are fine for driving producers out of business in california if that's what they want to do, but producers in Iowa or any other state should have free access to california markets and allow the consumer to decide if they want to purchase that product or not, but they don't have that option and that should be an infringement on the commerce clause between the states, but apparently the courts see differently.

Since it's fine for california to dictate agriculture in other states, why can't Tennessee also dictate medical procedures in other states too?
Equal protection under the law right?

Old 07-21-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The product itself is not illegal. It's just illegal to sell it in California.
But it is illegal in many states like Wyoming where stoners cross over into Colorado all the time, return stoned and have car wrecks or get picked up for driving under the influence. It does have an impact that Wyoming has to deal with and pay for the consequences of someone breaking the state's law by crossing into another state to partake of an illegal substance, then bringing the problem back to Wyoming to deal with.

And actually, during prohibition, it wasn't illegal to drink alcohol, but it was illegal to sell or produce it.

My, how times have changed huh?

Old 07-21-2023, 05:47 PM

15,594 posts, read 7,634,633 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's not going to happen and no sane person ever suggested it would. The OP just made up a ridiculously absurd "what if" scenario. There's an EXTREMELY obvious lack of jurisdiction issue.

That said, and as I've already posted, there ARE legitimate reasons WHY law enforcement agencies need to continue to be able to subpoena abortion records, with two very prominent issues being human trafficking and child rape.
If the records are needed, then the officials in one state can ask for assistance for the other state to obtain the records.

The radical forced birthers WILL seek out women who had abortions in other states and they WILL prosecute them until a court tells them to stop. In the meantime, lives are ruined, and money wasted on defending bogus charges.

If I am a district attorney, I can charge you with a crime with no basis for doing so. You will still spend $10,000 or more getting the case dismissed.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:51 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,675,551 times
Where is the HELL NO option? F fascism!

Old 07-21-2023, 05:58 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,675,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I voted no.

I didn't vote no because I believe abortion is a good thing. I voted no because, legally, prosecuting "state skippers" is not at all a good thing to do--it sets up a dangerous scenario. If a woman wants to murder her unborn son or daughter that badly, then it's going to be done one way or another anyway. It would be the same as telling an Aztec priest that he could not perform a child sacrifice on Altar A. He simply goes to Altar B to do it or into the woods somewhere if he is a zealot believer. Religious rituals are very hard to discourage for the "faithful." They will be performed by true believers, regardless of the legal aspect.
Utter nonsense. Total utter nonsense. This is your brain on fascist propaganda.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:54 AM

3,003 posts, read 3,555,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Where is the HELL NO option? F fascism!
Well I know, that means F Joe Biden's joke of a justice department. You're not a hypocrite are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies