Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 05:10 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,411,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Coven View Post
Do you have a lot of inner cities in your mega-MAGA part of West Virginia?
I have lived many other places. Cops don't tend to be politically correct when the cameras are off. They patrol war zone like areas you don't think they ever vent? I don't judge it, it is what it is.it is sort of like soldiers that use racial slurs about the side they fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 05:13 PM

2,045 posts, read 793,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Cops are another group of people that use the n word in my experience. Especially in the inner city.
Well, considering what they have to deal with, I understand. Doesn't make it right, but I get it.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Well, considering what they have to deal with, I understand. Doesn't make it right, but I get it.
So do I. It's how we got the words nips, gooks and chinks. Not accepted now but at the time you wouldn't question a soldier using any of those. You can still actually call a German a kraut and nobody cares.

No cop goes home to his wife and explains to her that another black gentleman pulled a gun and then ran off after firing shots.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:32 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,142 times
More slaves need to slit their slave masters' throats. RISE!!! RISE!!!

Old 07-20-2023, 05:42 PM

15,879 posts, read 21,481,434 times
I grew up in a sundown town. My parents had no idea and moved my Jewish but interfaith family (kids raised Jewish, father was not) to the community because it was cheap and they could get a lot of land for my dad's gardening and landscaping projects. Just a few years prior to my move, there were signs on some roads entering the community saying "N******, don't let the sun set on your back in Forsyth County." Oprah very famously visited the community during one of her early seasons of her talk show, and then revisited in her last season. I recognized some of my neighbors on TV watching it as an adult.

So, yeah, growing up in the 90s up through my high school graduation in 2006, I heard the n-word frequently from my classmates, their parents at sleepovers, and other adults in my life (not my family). It wasn't aimed at Black people, but then again, there were no black people. Friends at school whose parents had fled the Iranian Revolution were regularly called "sand n-words" after 9/11. And my family had a cross burned on our lawn in the early 90s, and I experienced a lot of overt discrimination and threats of violence in my young adulthood.

Now, 2006 was 15 years ago and a lot has changed, thankfully. Some of the most overtly racist, homophobic kids I went to high school with went to UGA or Georgia Tech, were suddenly confronted with people not like them, and pulled a complete about-face. But there are still people who I grew up with who never left and are deeply threatened by the increase in diversity from the 90%+ white population of our childhood. I wouldn't know if they use the n-word now.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I grew up in a sundown town. My parents had no idea and moved my Jewish but interfaith family (kids raised Jewish, father was not) to the community because it was cheap and they could get a lot of land for my dad's gardening and landscaping projects. Just a few years prior to my move, there were signs on some roads entering the community saying "N******, don't let the sun set on your back in Forsyth County." Oprah very famously visited the community during one of her early seasons of her talk show, and then revisited in her last season. I recognized some of my neighbors on TV watching it as an adult.

So, yeah, growing up in the 90s up through my high school graduation in 2006, I heard the n-word frequently from my classmates, their parents at sleepovers, and other adults in my life (not my family). It wasn't aimed at Black people, but then again, there were no black people. Friends at school whose parents had fled the Iranian Revolution were regularly called "sand n-words" after 9/11. And my family had a cross burned on our lawn in the early 90s, and I experienced a lot of overt discrimination and threats of violence in my young adulthood.

Now, 2006 was 15 years ago and a lot has changed, thankfully. Some of the most overtly racist, homophobic kids I went to high school with went to UGA or Georgia Tech, were suddenly confronted with people not like them, and pulled a complete about-face. But there are still people who I grew up with who never left and are deeply threatened by the increase in diversity from the 90%+ white population of our childhood. I wouldn't know if they use the n-word now.
They still exist. Typically they yearn for a return to the 50s before they had to face change. The numbers are becoming fewer as they die off.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:50 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,475,142 times
I heard the terms ******, jewed, ***, and other terms frequently and with a casualness when growing up in the 90s and 00s. I think we can put the slurs and gross racism/stereotypes behind us but wokeness is another monster. Wokeness is an entirely identity based value system with perpetual oppressors and victims with no foundation in traditional morality and classical liberalism.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:51 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I haven't been called it. I don't use the term at all. I don't get why other black folk use it.

I also don't watch movies (at least since the 90s) - so there's that also.
I have been called that word. And not just by some White people. I've been called the "N" word by some Hispanic people too.

The last time I was in a movie theatre, it was in 2015. It was the movie Creed.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:01 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The only time I hear the N-word is when I am forced to listen to rap music. So what does that tell you?
That you haven't been around alot of people who use that word. However, I have been called that word. And alot of times when I got called that word, it wasn't in the ghetto "rap music" manner. It was in a "we don't like Black people" kind of way.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:26 PM

16,157 posts, read 6,899,694 times
No one would ever pick bad leaves for a good salad unless of course you are use to eating bad salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies