Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 PM

47,023 posts, read 26,080,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You don't have to know them personally. The people who took them seriously were the people who gave into them to give women the right to vote, and the right to credit and property in their own names, and the opportunity to try for any career they wanted, including defending the country on the front lines. It doesn't really matter if the people you know never took them seriously.
But weren't they much happier when the men dealt with all that and they didn't have to worry their little pretty heads with such matters?

Old 08-02-2023, 12:39 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,268,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Is EVERY woman interested in watching this movie, or what are you trying to tell me here?
Every one of them I know who have seen it so far have come out of the theater encouraging the rest to see it, as have most of the men.

They struck a pretty universal nerve with this flick.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Barbie, OTOH, found a niche out of the starting gate.
In retrospect, it almost seems obvious that the female 18-45 demographic has been a bit underserved in the "intelligent comedy" genre.

Good on Gerwig for sussing that out, and on WB for backing it. (And for Mattel, who have been pretty good sports about the entire thing.)

Old 08-02-2023, 12:41 PM

567 posts, read 301,489 times
Russia is at war & they are angry about a movie where the main characters are based on dolls. Don’t they have bigger issues? Anyone who wants the Barbie movie to be banned is just a miserable person, IMO.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:42 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,627,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's how every book-burner and censorship advocate starts: Concern.

Apparently Russians can't be trusted to decide for themselves what books to read and what movies to watch. They really do yearn for a return to the good old USSR days, don't they?

SOME do, but mostly not for the reasons of "book burning," the way it's happening in Ukraine now.

I think we live in the interesting times ( to say the least) when the notion of what's right and "what's wrong," what "freedom" is, and how much the "rights" of one group of people can be imposed upon the other ones under the guise of "freedom" is put to the test.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:43 PM

24,716 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What I don't understand about the Barbie movie is that it wasn't that long ago that feminists everywhere denouncing her for body and unrealistic goals she was setting for young girls but now everyone is celebrating this movie?
I haven't watched the movie, yet.

But my understanding is that there's so many "diverse barbies" including a "black barbie as president" that there was nothing for the woke and feminists to riot and loot over. Also Margot Robbie is in her 30s, so that's another checkmark for the feminists who would've complained if she was too young.

Also, the director was female.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:47 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,268,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never understood the mentality. 16 year old Jimmy can see those movies and parents are fine. But God Forbid Jimmy sees a stray boob! Then it's a sign of moral decay.
TBH, we toss in a stray boob occasionally, just to watch crowd reaction and make sure the audience hasn’t fallen asleep. If Jimmy is older than ten and hasn’t figured out little girls aren’t just clean little boys that smell good and taken an interest in learning more about the subject, he’s a really late bloomer, in my experience with a son and grandsons.

Any parent who denies that is fooling themself.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I haven't watched the movie, yet.

But my understanding is that there's so many "diverse barbies" including a "black barbie as president" that there was nothing for the woke and feminists to riot and loot over. Also Margot Robbie is in her 30s, so that's another checkmark for the feminists who would've complained if she was too young.

Also, the director was female.
Or perhaps - crazy notion - there's a difference between actual feminism and the parody version often held up on boards like this?

Old 08-02-2023, 12:56 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,627,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
Russia is at war & they are angry about a movie where the main characters are based on dolls. Don’t they have bigger issues? Anyone who wants the Barbie movie to be banned is just a miserable person, IMO.

Well actually it's a CULTURAL issue that was already simmering in Russia for quite some time.

I saw few years ago Russian parents questioning Barbie dolls ( as many other cultural things imported to Russia from US after the nineties,) and what kind of *values,* what kind of ideas it teaches their daughters.

Some of them were literally advising to wash off the original painting on the faces of Barbie dolls and to repaint them with "normal children's faces," instead of the sexualized Barbie's appearance overall.

They wanted their children ( girls including) to remain children, instead of sending them these vague "adult" signals in the form of 22-29- whatever measures of the Barbie doll.

So it has to be noted that during this war, at least part of the Russian society is reviewing their cultural appropriations that came from abroad, the way it changed Russian society, and questioning how wise was it, and what should be changed again as the result of many realizations that came during this war.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:56 PM

19,438 posts, read 15,286,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This is what happened, essentially. This is America Ferrara's monologue from the movie.
Like men don't have to go through the same type of dichotomies: You have to be strong but still be sensitive. Be sensitive, but don't cry cuz that's weak. Be tough and stand up for her, but don't go overboard and be a goon. You have to do the "girly" stuff she wants to do on the weekend; you can't relax and watch sports because that makes you an empty-headed, beer-swilling a-hole. If you're brainy, you're a "nerd"; if you're good at sports, you're a dumb jock. She gets equal pay, but you still have to buy dinner. And on and on... Give me a break. I wish everyone would stop whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies