Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,068,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Yes I still believe that this has nothing to do with man made climate change. Not sure how you believe that it proves that it does??
It has more to do with urban zoning regulations.

It is the reason Colorado Springs burned, it is the reason Talent burned, it is the reason Santa Rosa burned, it is the reason Paradise burned, and it is the reason Maui burned.

There are issues with the environmentalists determined to burn down the National Forests and Parks, but this has little to do with them or climate change.

Once that fire crossed over the line into the urban core, it was no longer a wildfire, it was a urban fire.

The only difference was the source of the flames when they hit the urban area.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:31 PM

8,163 posts, read 3,709,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Natural cycle of the Earth. It’s gone through hot and cold cycles for millions/billions of years. There was a global flood a few thousand years ago. Was that caused by cars and airplanes too?
It's too fast. So natural it is not

Old 08-10-2023, 07:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 2,885,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
It's too fast. So natural it is not
How do you know it's too fast? We only have temperature data going back to the 1880's.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:40 PM

956 posts, read 512,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fueled by a drought, hurricane Dora and the warmest year on record.

Anyone still believe this has nothing to do with man-made climate change. I would list all the worldwide disasters and records this year, but it would fill up a few pages. Fires in Nova Scotia and Scotland droughts and floods around the world like we have never seen before.
It has got to do with all the coal burning plants in China they are building all the time.

it has nothing to do with all the SUV drivers and gas stations and airplanes and gas stoves, furnaces, water heaters and etc..

Get rid of coal now and use natural gas and oil forever!!

I have no issues with climate activists as long as they take their hostility towards coal and leave ICE vehicles and airplanes as well as gas yard tools and appliances out of it.

The climate cultists are the ones who target those things as well as gas stations and oil and natural gas leases. Not who target coal. The ones targeting coal are just activists.

The reality is coal burning is by far the most responsible for all CO2 emissions. Gas ICE vehicles, gas appliances and gas yard tools are very small and the fact that there is a focus on them just proves its about control not about bettering the planet.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:43 PM

771 posts, read 301,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fueled by a drought, hurricane Dora and the warmest year on record.

Anyone still believe this has nothing to do with man-made climate change. I would list all the worldwide disasters and records this year, but it would fill up a few pages. Fires in Nova Scotia and Scotland droughts and floods around the world like we have never seen before.
I dont think we can rule out the space lasers causing the fires yet.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:46 PM

567 posts, read 301,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My wife and I were in Maui in May, and noted how dry it was.

What a horrible disaster.

I gave money to one of the relief efforts. Do so yourself, instead of placing blame.
We visited Hawaii last year and I was shocked at how dry parts of it were, although we didn’t go to Maui. It is a shame such a beautiful place was destroyed in a matter of hours.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:49 PM

30,684 posts, read 18,313,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
My wife and I were in Maui in May, and noted how dry it was.

What a horrible disaster.

I gave money to one of the relief efforts. Do so yourself, instead of placing blame.
Hawaii's dry season is from April - October, so you came at the beginning of it. Parts of the islands will always be wetter than others, even during the dry season. Like on Oahu, the windward side is always wetter than the leeward side; many of the rain clouds that pass through the area are broken up by the mountain ranges separating the two sides.

Interestingly, as much as we don't welcome hurricanes here in Hawaii (as goes for everywhere, I'd wager), had Hurricane Dora actually made landfall on Maui (or was just significantly closer), the extent of the damage wouldn't have been as bad due to the rain, etc.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:52 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,061,181 times
60 to 80 mph wind gusts from Hurricane Dora that was 600 miles south of Big Island. Most likely wind blew down a power pole sparking a fire that was wind whip through the town. Front street was lined with 200 year old wooden buildings. The newer building probably 100 years. All right next to one another. The destruction is about 2 to 3 miles in width and 1/2 mile wide or more in spots. Historic Lahaina town is no more along with leaving thousands without a home, many without livelihoods. Gas stations, groceries stores gone. Blame this one on Hurricane Dora and her deadly winds.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:56 PM

16,573 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdad99 View Post
We visited Hawaii last year and I was shocked at how dry parts of it were, although we didn’t go to Maui. It is a shame such a beautiful place was destroyed in a matter of hours.
The trade winds come in from the west-northwest and carry ocean moisture with them. But the Hawaiian islands have mountains in the middle of them, and when the winds hit the mountains, the moisture gets wrung out like a sponge. That's why the windward sides of all the Hawaiian islands are lush and tropical (lots of rain) and the leeward sides are dry (not much rain). That's why Hana (on Maui's windward side) gets 72 inches of rain per year while Lahaina (on the leeward side) gets only about 15 inches.

Tourists like the lush tropical look, but they don't like rain; so trees and grass are planted on the leeward sides to make them look more like what the tourists are expecting. But they're still dry, and if there's any kind of drought, easily flammable.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 1,615,252 times
On a more positive note, more assistance is being sent to Maui. Firefighting agencies from across the US have offered assistance. California has also dispatched search and rescue teams.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangel...ildfires-rage/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies