Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 07:22 AM

674 posts, read 338,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Doesn't matter. Those rappers going to the right won't get more Black people to go to the right. Stacey Dash is supposedly a right winger. She's persona non grata in the Black American population. Candace Owen is a Black right winger, and young. She's not having much influence on Black Americans.
Neither one of them ever had much influence in the Black sphere anyway.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:36 AM

18,471 posts, read 7,113,524 times
Quote:
Well, if nothing else, I don't like it when some people here on city-data start grasping at straws. To some, a Black man not being to the left = "Look, a Black right-winger" or "look, a Black Republican". I get tired of that crap. It's as if said persons act like they know Black people better than Blacks know themselves.

Both parties want to separate people into two camps.

That way they keep you fighting each other instead of seeing how bad the government is as a whole.

Everything is always the other sides fault, when in reality, it just two sides of the same coin.

That being said, I hate it when one side assumes they "own" the black vote, or that people should base their political ideology on the color of their skin.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:13 AM

28,696 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
I would be disingenuous to ignore the growing anti-male strain within the Democratic Party. I'm starting to see it. However, it is very difficult for me to consider going to the Republican side. The radicals on the left have basically run amok with radical feminism.
Yes. Be sure to distinguish, however, between Radical Feminism and Liberal Feminism. Those are two specific things. The other specific thing, Black Feminism is an offshoot of Radical Feminism that objects to the inherent elitism of Radical Feminism.

Quote:
Nothing has done more damage between Black men and Black women like 3rd wave feminism. This "I don't need a man" mindset has caused damage that welfare never could. So many people will look at Black Americans from the outside and say "welfare did this, cut of welfare and Black people will get better". I say no to this. White people can get welfare just as easily as Black people. In fact, at one time it was much easier for Whites to get welfare than Blacks. This didn't stop Black Americans from having higher rates of divorce, single parent homes, and fractured households relative to the American population at large. And I'm talking in relative terms.
The specific welfare program pointed to as the primary culprit is Aid to Families of Dependent Children (AFDC). That program went into effect in 1939 during the Great Depression. It provided an income to white mothers to keep them in the home and out of the workforce where they would have been in competition with white men for scarce Depression-era employment. Their unemployed husbands were permitted to remain in the home while white mothers collected AFDC.

I say "white mothers" because AFDC was denied to black mothers...because black mothers were already considered part of the workforce. Black mothers gained access to AFDC in the early 60s (prior to the Johnson Administration), and the "no man in the house" rule was instituted at the same time in some states. However, that rule only affected black families in some states and was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1969.

What we had as we entered the 60s was a black family structure that had been initially destroyed by over two hundred years of slavery (there was no such thing as black men being "protectors and providers" or black women being "wives and mothers" of their own homes while enslaved), and oppressed by Jim Crow laws that overtly worked to maintain that situation.

Yet, going into the 60s, black people were still striving for the notion of the family structure...it was still the zeitgeist of black people, as difficult as it was to manifest it as a firm reality.

Quote:
No one ever asks about the impact that 3rd wave feminism played in the further rise of broken homes within the Black population. It all gets blamed on welfare. Relatively high welfare dependency is a symptom, not a cause. No one ever asks why some women picked welfare over having a man in the home. No one has ever considered that Black MEN have higher rates of unemployment than Black women. Black women are more likely to work than women of any other race. Black men are more likely to be UNEMPLOYED than men of any other race. For this reason, I can't blame welfare for the problems we're seeing.
Because slavery and Jim Crow had kept most black wives in the workforce, the Radical Feminist (note the capitalization) concept that "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" made sense to black wives in the early 60s and 70s in a way that it did not make sense to white wives (most of whom were not even considering entering the workplace until the shrinking economy forced them in the 70s).

Radical Feminism has been the final nail in the coffin of the black family.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:01 AM

27,663 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
And we're seeing grasping at straws on this thread too. Actually, on city-data, no one's voting habits are complained about more, discussed more,than those of Blacks.
There is no other group in American society that votes as monolithically for one political party as blacks vote for Democrats.

It's more like a dictatorship of one political party than a democracy.

It doesn't seem normal.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:23 AM

5,998 posts, read 2,253,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Ice Cube still holds clout within the Black community. Will be interesting if Cube comes out in support of Trump in 2024.

Scrolling through Twitter a couple of weeks ago, I came across a clip of rightwing commentator Tucker Carlson interviewing a face I never thought I’d see on his platform: Ice Cube.

As in **** Tha Police Ice Cube.

“What planet am I on right now?” I found myself thinking.

In a two-part segment, Ice Cube and Carlson commiserated about cancel culture and cast doubt on the safety of the Covid vaccine. “It was six months, kind of a rush job and I didn’t feel safe,” Ice Cube said about his widely-publicized resistance to the Covid shot. He also claimed that he’s been banned from appearing on the talkshows The View and Oprah because he is too much of an “independent thinker”.

It seems Ice Cube has become quite the conservative media darling lately, sitting down with not just Carlson, but Joe Rogan and Piers Morgan as well. He’s joining a long list of rappers – Kanye West, Da Baby, Kodak Black, Lil Pump – who have all put themselves in dangerous proximity to conservative politicians even as rightwing populism threatens to destroy their communities...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ative-ice-cube
I guess this sounds like aligning with the right but it is not, this caution around new therapies and rapidly created medical treatments goes back for decades for good reason. Black voters have views that do not align with the "Liberal view" and sound more libertarian in origin while also holding other views that sound further Left than Liberals, this is very common.

His view was expressed by many in the black community and is a fairly common statement in Black communities. You may not hear it often unless you live and talk to black folk, especially black men because most media ignores what black Men are saying in communities and prefers to report on violence and black celebrities. When some say they feel like Black celebrities are everywhere or violence is in most black communities it makes sense as that is what is reported on constantly.

What black folk think is not reported on in mainstream media outside of "who is racist this week".

There is a trend of Black men turning away from Democrats but do not confuse them moving to Republicans versus moving from political parties altogether.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:54 AM

12,407 posts, read 8,192,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is no other group in American society that votes as monolithically for one political party as blacks vote for Democrats.

It's more like a dictatorship of one political party than a democracy.

It doesn't seem normal.
American decendents of slavery faced more official and informal societal wide bigotry than other minority groups. Now you might argue that the present political parties don't reflect what was done but folks who lived through Jim Crow still teach the following generations

Old 08-14-2023, 11:09 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,681,781 times
Black employment rate was highest during the slavery era. That's a fact.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:18 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Black employment rate was highest during the slavery era. That's a fact.
Of course, that employment was under duress.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:23 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,411,272 times
Charles Payne brought Kodak Black on his show awhile ago to talk about Bitcoin if I remember. He was so retarded and incoherent you could see Payne trying to hide his embarrassment. Rappers are intellectually about on par with NFL/NBA players. It's kind of like you feel when the dumbest guy on the internet suddenly takes your side.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:37 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Neither one of them ever had much influence in the Black sphere anyway.
That's what I've noticed. The Black persons who are the most likely to be right-wingers (or parrot right-wing talking points) are the ones who don't have much influence in the Black sphere. They are the ones who don't spend alot of time around Black people. Stacey Dash said bad things about Black men, and identified as "White" despite obviously being Black (look up her mugshot). She only recanted when her grifting opportunities dried up and her life was a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies