Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 09:36 PM

8,542 posts, read 4,779,870 times

Advertisements

Well, how many more lefties admitted they were lefties after we stopped thinking of them as some weirdly evil beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2023, 09:37 PM

13,489 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.medpagetoday.com/surgery...ail-definition
Breast and chest procedures most common, followed by genital reconstruction.

The number of younger patients astound me.

This is why transitioning is increasing
That averages out to approx 920 patients between the ages of 12-18 per year for the four years.

18 is technically an adult, and really the study should be quantifying that because I would presume the numbers having surgery rise sharply at 18, and the numbers of surgeries between 12 and 17 are much less.

920 people per year is a minuscule percentage.

“In 2021, there were about 26.2 million children between the ages of 12 and 17 years old living in the United States.”

I can’t find the amount of 18 year olds to add to that.

(I’m not making a value judgement regarding surgery, but for perspective, 920 of 26 million is 0.00354%.)

Old 08-25-2023, 10:50 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,247,000 times
I'm a young Gen X, have a 15 yr old daughter who has a few 'weird' friends into this stuff. From what I observe, this whole 'trans' thing some of these teens are doing is simply their generation's form of rebellion, trying to pіss off their parents.

What 'trans' means #1 is to virtue signal 'tolerance'. So now that they've fended off the pro rabble-rousers, #2 and most importantly, it's time to express your individuality. Boys figure out how to wear a few women's clothing articles yet stay within dress code (just like that androgynous '80s stuff, or how theater dudes did it in the '90s). And girls cut their hair short, wear t-shirts of old grunge bands and go hairy like the '70s. They all think they are so funny & amusing. They say on their social medias they are all "non-binary"--- why? Because they deal with random perverts with usernames like HornyDaddy. This tactic is absolutely brilliant BTW.

I notice the kids doing this are typically upper middle class+, 100% nerds playing armchair philosopher. But if you observe them you can tell that 99% of these weirdos are straight. They rebel and troll old people who think they need to "save the children".

The reality is the miniscule # of kids who have genuine biological problems will now suffer more. And you can't blame this one on the teens because they are still children. These loudmouth adults (who were so obviously 'touched' as kids) kept pushing their politicians to help save the kids. They actually don't know their own kids and they are too stupid to see what's really going on, so they came up with a solution that did nothing but caused more problems.

Mark my words: This is a whole lot of rebellious nothing that will fade out once the next fad rolls in.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:36 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
At what age should one have complete agency over one's own body?
18 in my opinion. They can start drugs before that with parental consent in my opinion. It doesnt seem like a hard compromise to make with folks. Honestly most of the "issues" people scream about I think we could all come to some sort of agreement.

Trans in sports should be in a custom section of their own. Along with anyone who uses caffeine, or any other drug that changes performance. No ones happy, but its finally fair.

All bathrooms should be single bathrooms. Seriously nothing good happens in multi person bathrooms. Were freaking animals.

Stop treating other Americans like they're something beneath you. Were all Americans. Lets not lose our way here.

Look for politicians that want to make reasonable solutions, extremists suck.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:24 AM

9,488 posts, read 5,269,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
at what age should one have complete agency over one's own body?
21....imo

Old 08-26-2023, 06:33 AM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Because these gender altering mutilation surgeries are allowed in the first place, it then turns into a negotiation on the age of consent and I’m sorry it’s a proven fact you cannot negotiate with these sick lefties because they always want more. They’ll be transing fetuses in the womb before you know it.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:36 AM

26,569 posts, read 15,136,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh the horrors of someone having the ability to make decisions about their own body.
Would you support a 16 year old minor girl saying she wasn't feminine enough and needed gender affirming care of all of the following:

1, boob implants

2, estrogen injections

3, hip implants

4, botox in her face

5, nose job

?

You can't actually change your sex. They'll be more depressed when they mutilate their bodies as children and realize that they're still not truly the sex they thought they wanted by adulthood.

At least have an age of consent.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:37 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,650,273 times
That this clearly destructive "therapy" is being accepted at the levels it is, should be very troubling to most.

People who think this is good for the patients who receive these surgeries and all the other related "treatments", well, I do not really know how they come to that conclusion.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:41 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh the horrors of someone having the ability to make decisions about their own body.
For someone age 12-18 struggling with mental illness, you better be really really sure that this permanent solution will help and that they haven't latched on to a hot topic.

If they're 18 or over, fine...whatever.

Surely, somewhere along a continuum of age from 18 down to 0 you are going to get squeemish about letting someone make a huge decision like this before their brain develops?

Old 08-26-2023, 06:45 AM

78,581 posts, read 60,772,556 times
I have to say that I'm having a real problem that we talk about another social issue which is "grooming" like a 30 year old rock star having a 17 yo girlfriend (or younger) but then we turn around on this topic and people are arguing that 12yo's should be able to decide for themselves about major irreversible surgery?

Just seems to be a major disconnect in terms of when people think that someone can make their own choices and varying it by topic du juor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies