Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 06:40 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I stopped using food as entertainment years ago. Meaning no fast food, sandwiches, bread, pasta, pizza, snack food, etc. I will on rare occasion go off the reservation. I basically eat what makes my body function. Vegetables, fruits, egg whites, some chicken and fish. Nothing fried and all made by me. I exercise daily at the gym and bike ride.

This is common here. I'm 6', 155 lbs. You just have to change your lifestyle and get out of the food must always taste really, really good mindset. Yes, I still drink alcohol occasionally. That's my guilty pleasure.
The KETO diet works, I was on it pretty religiously about 2 years ago and dropped 20 pounds. Unfortunately I like carbs way too much and haven't been able to stick with it, and have put most of those pounds back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 06:54 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
My own, personal, obesity rate has gone from zero in 1990 to 100% today. Just sayin'
What changed and what do you account for what caused it?

Last edited by mountainrose; 09-03-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-03-2023, 07:08 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I recently saw a documentary on children’s cafeteria food and how damaging and dangerous it has become. A major cause of obesity in children.
They count both catsup and fries as a vegetable.
Sadly, with Many low income kids that’s their main meal of the day so we are starting them off to be fat already at a young age.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:07 AM

50,785 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Basically the study gave some mice bland food, and another were given food flavored with MSG, and they found the mice eating the none bland food ate more. If you strip away all the fancy lingo.

I don't know why we need a study for this. lol. Can you eat more calories of just canned tuna (in water) or burgers + fries + ice cream?
What do calories have to do with MSG? I honestly don’t get the point you’re trying to about the calories anyway.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I recently saw a documentary on children’s cafeteria food and how damaging and dangerous it has become. A major cause of obesity in children.
They count both catsup and fries as a vegetable.
Sadly, with Many low income kids that’s their main meal of the day so we are starting them off to be fat already at a young age.
That’s due to the effectiveness of lobbyists, under Reagan. It was upheld by the Supreme Court just last April that catsup can be called a vegetable.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:13 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What do calories have to do with MSG? I honestly don’t get the point you’re trying to about the calories anyway.
Simple, mice fed food with MSG ate more food, because the food was tastier. Hence, they consumed more calories and became fatter.

It's not unlike you trying to eat 1000 calories of broccoli vs 1000 calories of hamburgers.

Hypothetical experiment:

One set of humans were randomized to eating as much broccoli as they wanted vs as many hamburgers as they wanted. The humans randomized to hamburgers would be more likely to become obese because they'd consume more calories of food thanks to hamburgers being tastier.

MSG makes food tastier, and more palatable. Hence mice fed with it were more likely to eat more. MSG by itself is not bad. It's like adding salt to plain white rice.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I remember when people were mocked for talking about healthy food for kids....but now same people are seemingly calling on govt to fix the problem. Make up your minds people.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Simple, mice fed food with MSG ate more food, because the food was tastier. Hence, they consumed more calories and became fatter.

It's not unlike you trying to eat 1000 calories of broccoli vs 1000 calories of hamburgers.

Hypothetical experiment:

One set of humans were randomized to eating as much broccoli as they wanted vs as many hamburgers as they wanted. The humans randomized to hamburgers would be more likely to become obese because they'd consume more calories of food thanks to hamburgers being tastier.

MSG makes food tastier, and more palatable. Hence mice fed with it were more likely to eat more. MSG by itself is not bad. It's like adding salt to plain white rice.
I don’t think it’s a simple as that. In that study, it affected the release of insulin and body chemistry.

I still don’t get your point about broccoli. Everyone knows empty calories aren’t as filling or satisfying but what’s your point about that? 1000 calories of broccoli would be physically impossible to eat regardless of taste. It’s 31 cups of broccoli. I could easily eat 1000 calories of peanut butter though, because it’s more calorically dense, at 100 calories per tablespoon. But there’s no MSG.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I remember when people were mocked for talking about healthy food for kids....but now same people are seemingly calling on govt to fix the problem. Make up your minds people.
The government controls lunches at public schools, so only can they fix that problem.

I would like to see more veggies and "healthy" foods in school cafeterias, but that won't really fix the obesity epidemic. Lunch is 1 meal out of the day. If the kid is eating crap for the other 2 meals + snacks, it doesn't really do that much. Couple with the fact it's all calories in / out. A slice of pizza + curly fries may have less calories than whole wheat pasta + chicken + veggies even though the later is more nutritious.

Old 09-03-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think it’s a simple as that. In that study, it affected the release of insulin and body chemistry.

I still don’t get your point about broccoli. Everyone knows empty calories aren’t as filling or satisfying but what’s your point about that? 1000 calories of broccoli would be physically impossible to eat regardless of taste. It’s 31 cups of broccoli. I could easily eat 1000 calories of peanut butter though, because it’s more calorically dense, at 100 calories per tablespoon. But there’s no MSG.
Insulin only raises if you eat more carbohydrates than your body needs for energy. It then enters the blood and necessitates insulin to take it out of the blood and put it into cells.

The reason MSG increased insulin levels was because the mice ate more food at any given setting. Eating just pure MSG will not raise your insulin levels, but then I don't know anyone who would want to do that.

My point is tastier food promotes eating more. MSG makes food tastier, and makes you eat more of it. My broccoli vs burger experiment is a bit extreme. But take a bowl of plain white rice, try and eat it. Then add salt, you will eat more of it in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies