Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 09:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,078,128 times

Advertisements

That means skinny people will die faster from starvation when they're on a government mandated bug diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 09:19 AM

43,277 posts, read 18,419,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's on your school board. Michelle Obama did not specifically say put bad food in the schools. The fact that school boards didn't know how to put healthy food in and make it good is not on the federal government. And you're missing the point again. Tribal politics. When the government tried to change how kids eat at school people screamed about it. And no it wasn't because the food tastes about it was because nobody was going to tell them what to eat
It was her new healthy food program.

Really...unless Michelle personally handled the food you hold no blame over her.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:19 AM

24,037 posts, read 15,144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Those lunches were disgusting...absolutely disgusting.
More food got thrown out under Michelle Obama's new lunch menu than I have ever seen before.

Who cuts a banana in half and lets it sit for 6 hours before giving it to a kid ?
Yes...the lunch program couldn't even give kids a full banana ?

I stopped buying lunch myself when I saw that slop.
We made s sack lunch for my kid for almost his entire school career because the food served in the cafeteria was so bad.

If the little kids got 1/2 a banana that was tossed that's on the local school lunch room. Was it the menu or the preparation?

IMO, parents are remiss in what they teach their kids about food. Not a lot of lean protein, fresh veggies and fruits. McDonald's it is.

My school dietician said many kids had never seen a pear. They thought it was a misshapen apple.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:34 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,875,322 times
People eat out too much, eat too many food like products, too many ultra processed meals, corn syrup, have to drive everywhere.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:46 AM

3,366 posts, read 2,157,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We made s sack lunch for my kid for almost his entire school career because the food served in the cafeteria was so bad.

If the little kids got 1/2 a banana that was tossed that's on the local school lunch room. Was it the menu or the preparation?

IMO, parents are remiss in what they teach their kids about food. Not a lot of lean protein, fresh veggies and fruits. McDonald's it is.

My school dietician said many kids had never seen a pear. They thought it was a misshapen apple.
Caloric density also matters in relation to cost-effectiveness. A medium french fries from McDonald's contains 350 calories and costs $1. A cup of mixed fruit contains less than 1/3 of the calories of the french fries and costs 3 times more than the french fries. The french fries are of course less healthy, but it's unsurprising that (lower-income & single, in particular) parents preference fuller bellies. But yes, you're correct in general that what people have learned (and thus teach kids) about food is appalling. Government has some responsibility there too, as the inception of the food pyramid was a dietary catastrophe in its directing people to subsist primarily on bad carbs.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:58 AM

43,277 posts, read 18,419,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

The food got delivered in the morning from Aramark all prepared.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:01 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,520,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Caloric density also matters in relation to cost-effectiveness. A medium french fries from McDonald's contains 350 calories and costs $1. A cup of mixed fruit contains less than 1/3 of the calories of the french fries and costs 3 times more than the french fries. The french fries are of course less healthy, but it's unsurprising that (lower-income & single, in particular) parents preference fuller bellies. But yes, you're correct in general that what people have learned (and thus teach kids) about food is appalling. Government has some responsibility there too, as the inception of the food pyramid was a dietary catastrophe in its directing people to subsist primarily on bad carbs.
Of you can go to the grocery store, buy fruit in bulk, and then could eat 300 calories of fruit for roughly $1-2. Bananas for sure.

But anyways, poverty has nothing to do with it. No one would get fat from eating 1 fries from McDonalds, even if they ate it every meal, every day. It's when they add a milk shake, large soda, and double-whooper. Those people are not in poverty. They have enough money to throw away on junk but palatable foods.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:11 AM

50,988 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The food got delivered in the morning from Aramark all prepared.
They delivered bananas already unpeeled? That’s what you’re insisting is true?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:48 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,380,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Pretty sure locking people up in their homes for two years helped!
Where do you live that you were locked up on your home for two years?

Old 09-04-2023, 12:12 PM

11,686 posts, read 6,115,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Newborns (neonatal) who consume more food become obese earlier, and are more likely to become obese as adults. I can go through line by line if you want, but all that study basically said is adding msg to food caused mice to eat more food, and more likely to become obese, and develop metabolic disorders. Stripped of its fancy language, it's basically a duh study.

And yes, you can do the same thing with salt. And studies show salty foods promote obesity. https://www.nature.com/articles/nrneph.2018.23

The thing is, MSG is even tastier than salt. So give a human plain white rice, they may eat 500 calories in 1 sitting (my guess). Add salt, they could eat 1,000 calories. Add MSG, and now 1,300 calories.
I am conspiratorial about the re-addition of MSG into our food currently, when it was considered something we avoided like the plague 40 years ago. Everyone in my social circle knew to avoid MSG and it was not commonly found in food. The poster child for MSG 40 years ago was just Chinese restaurant food, not much of anything else.

Today, our food is filled with MSG, soybean oil, and high-fructose corn syrup. All very harmful as well as promoting weight gain.

It is intentionally being done on purpose to keep us chronically ill, and a "two-fer" is that it reduces cost for food producers. GW Bush's FDA completely sold us out. Before Baby Bush, these things were not commonly found in most of our food, by which I mean 95% of food sold did not have these things, not even processed food. Toxins approved for use in our food supply really accerated under GW Bush, selling us out to his corporate robber-baron friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies