Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2023, 03:13 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Memo to Conspiracists - The SCIENCE is settled.
The very definition of science is that it is NEVER settled as technology and knowledge keeps improving, so don't force your Fascist controls on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 04:02 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Memo to Conspiracists - The SCIENCE is settled.

What a new study says about the effectiveness of masks against COVID-19
Yeah, and COVID-19 didn’t come out the that bio research Lab in Wuhan, China.

Not a conspiracist since I have no issue with wearing a mask. I just have an issue with lies coated with a layer of “science.” The SAME science that “now” claims that biological can get pregnant AND breast feed too.

Sorry, “I” don’t blindly follow science or religion without questioning it.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:09 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The very definition of science is that it is NEVER settled as technology and knowledge keeps improving, so don't force your Fascist controls on me.

That 'It's science!' argument is only important if the the 'science' supports your viewpoint. Both sides play that card.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:25 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Science is never settled - if that were the case there wouldn't be research. We would have never found how some drugs are helpful to other conditions or that drugs we once thought were life saving were causing horrific side effects.

Old 11-04-2023, 04:39 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
What I see is the division you attempt to create.Seems to me the one getting their "undies in a bundle" is the one leaving the topic of masks to dwell on those of faith. For what reason, who knows. I'm not concerned if you mask up with a respirator. Why are you concerned with the faith of others. Who is ridiculing whom? Irony indeed.
From a brief look at your old posts, you don't care if people mask up. i.e., you are rational. Though, the real "attempted division" was created by another "masks don't work" thread. And the most vocal people on the anti-mask camp (IMO) are the most religious which mandates faith. All the while they are touting 'science'. lol Many of the most vocal posters chose to believe in one of those 4000 'Gods'. That's the irony I was mentioning. Obviously, we can agree that 3,999 of the 4,000 Gods must be man-made. Or do we have multiple Gods?

My point was to be consistent. We could be talking about someone who is pro-choice and is against the death penalty. Or a PETA member who wears leather shoes. Or, ____, or _________. In this case, we are talking about someone who attempts to interject mask "science" while they pick a God of their liking and sign off on it via "faith". Simply be consistent. I think it is relevant. Yet, you are offended. Simply put, if masks do or do not work. Prove it with science. If your God is real, prove it with science and be constant.

I'm constant. I don't know if there is a God (I doubt it). Hence, I am agnostic. And since there is mushy science on both sides of the mask argument, I'm taking an educated guess. There are smart people on both sides of the debate who have a sold argument.

Old 11-04-2023, 05:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Masks don't work. I has been proven.

IF masks worked, people wear them improperly most of the time, which would destroy effectiveness IF THEY EVEN WORKED.

Add the terrible housekeeping/maintenance. Shoving them in pockets and purses for reuse over and over and over without cleaning. Reusing disposable masks repeatedly. Touching surfaces and then adjusting the mask over and over, contaminating it.

So in essence.

Masks don't work.

People use them wrong anyway.

People don't take care of them right anyway.

Combining the 3 leads to near zero effectiveness. Big Medicine has already been caught in a long succession of bald faced lies, but THIS TIME they are telling the truth. Yes. Right. Sure.
But it makes lefty feel good, so that means something, so mask up! The science is settled! And if you don't your a selfish person and don't care about others.
And same thing with the vax. It's not for you, it's for others, so take your boosters!

Old 11-04-2023, 05:42 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,168,640 times
Not this again.

Most can't, even wash their hands properly - let alone wear a mask, that's hanging off their snout, or is filthy.

Old 11-04-2023, 05:52 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Yeah, and COVID-19 didn’t come out the that bio research Lab in Wuhan, China.

Not a conspiracist since I have no issue with wearing a mask. I just have an issue with lies coated with a layer of “science.” The SAME science that “now” claims that biological can get pregnant AND breast feed too.

Sorry, “I” don’t blindly follow science or religion without questioning it.
"Utah public health expert says"

Is all some need, 1 person says something they agree with and to them it is "gospel"!

Old 11-04-2023, 06:06 AM

10,489 posts, read 4,048,994 times
I can understand wearing masks if you are potentially sick and you are going to the doctors (where other people who have compromised immune systems are) or if you are dealing with food or going to be talking to people in close quarters, but not just for going to grocery store or exercising in a park. I watched in disbelief when I was at the beach one morning to watch the sun rise and this moron comes onto the beach all by himself wearing a mask and he even went into the water with the mask on. Some things are just plain dumb.

And like I said, unless you spray all the stuff you bring home from the grocery store or from the mailbox with lysol, you are still transmitting diseases and viruses and no mask is going to stop that.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:22 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
To be fair some science is settled, there are things that are objectively true and scientifically proven.

This isn't one of them. We have so much to learn about medicine, we are just plodding along, must keep an open mind, keep researching and learning. Politics has no place in medical science, or in science at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies