Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 11:16 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They are closed on Sunday. That's hardly "pushing their religious views"

The woke though do push their views and demand compliance.
Play the pronoun game with the alphabet people or get fired from your job.

They do, though, at least Hobby Lobby. https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-vote-trump-15

"As the Supreme Court case was proceeding, outcry arose over a new elective high school course in Mustang, Oklahoma, that used a textbook created by the Museum of the Bible and endorsed by the Hobby Lobby president, Steve Green.
Green had intended for the course to be a way to "expose more children to the Bible by using it to teach archaeology, history, and the arts," The Associated Press reported. However, questions and concerns arose over possible intentions to proselytize students."

"On September 7, consumers called for a boycott of Hobby Lobby in response to a viral photo depicting a display of decorative letters at a Hobby Lobby arranged to read "USA Vote Trump."

As far as Chick Fil A, they don't seem to get too involved, but it was the Right they come under fire from when they came out with a diversity statement. So it sounds like it was the Right "demanding compliance", then.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chick...b045ce24852bf4

"Fast food franchise Chick-fil-A is under fire for being “woke” after conservatives caught wind of a seemingly innocuous statement about diversity that the company made months ago.

What appeared to be a tepid corporate nod to diversity, equity and inclusion provoked massive outrage this week with right-wingers opposed to any social justice efforts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 11:21 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm hearing more and more companies are slowly and quietly backing off some of their ESG initiatives.

My company used to have DEI office, I think it's now called cultural awareness, same type of stuff but toned down a bit.
No company that wants to have a future will back off of ESG because those things are important to the generations that followed the baby boomers, and thus, their future consumers. They may not be as vocal about it, but rest assured it will be part of corporate governance going forward.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:22 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Ben & Jerry's are fully owned and managed by Unilever, who can hire and fire at will and who control the purse strings in relation to advertising and marketing etc.

Unilever are an Anglo-Dutch company with their headquarters in London and not the US, and their new CEO is a German and not an American.

Ben & Jerry's have been deafeningly silent in terms of recent events in the ME, have stopped with the migrant nonsense, the LGBTQ+ support, as well as other woke issues, and all Unilever brands seem to be sticking to actually producing and selling actual products rather than becoming involved in needless controversy.

Parts of Europe are not as receptive in terms of woke culture, and even the politics of Europe is changing, with many planning significant changes in areas such as immigration etc.
They are still posting periodic woke stuff on their social media pages.

Regardless, like I said Ben & Jerry's will never stop being woke. The moment they get rid of their activism section on their website is the day they will stop being woke.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:58 AM

1,871 posts, read 648,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
We’ll see what happens. I won’t buy Ben & Jerrys and haven’t bought it for a long time. The brand is such a turn-off and homemade ice cream is easy to make and tastes a lot better.

My partner bought a pint the other week because it was on sale. He offered some of the ice cream to me and I was like “hell no, I don’t eat Communist ice cream.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I’m curious. Can you explain your use of “Communist” in this context, please?
Here is my take on that...the highlighted...

It is less about communism as an ideological point of discussion than it is about making fun. Given the failure of communism, calling someone or something 'communist' is akin to 'flat Earth' believer. We know both are still around. We just mock both ideas and be kind to the believers.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:13 PM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Companies are just looking for any way to sell you more crap, that is what all this is about. If by next week the country has a massive pushback against woke and pronouns then you will see every commercial and ad look like a commercial for the A-Team, Marines, or Joe Blow 6-pack in blue jeans and mullet. These advertisers and companies could care less about woke or anti-woke so long as you are buying at inflated prices in-store.

Since most of the complaints about "woke" ads are produced by huge corporations with multiple brands under them, they don't mind playing both sides either. Brand A is woke, Brand B is not woke, and the company owns both.

What is interesting to me is how well advertising works in the USA, commercials and ads are a National pastime. We are all conditioned to love and listen to ads as if it's some sort of religious scripture from on high coming in to deliver us the marching orders for the day. And if our sensibilities and personal bias are not affirmed in those ads we get in a tissy, even the fake "Tuff-Guy Words don't hurt" Republican party and the "include everyone except everyone I don't like " Democrats.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:23 PM

1,434 posts, read 665,723 times
Too late. There are so many delicious ice-cream choices out there.
I don't miss them even a little bit.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:23 PM

1,688 posts, read 611,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Imagine being so insecure that one can't respect another's stance, policies, or charitable contributions. Sad.

How can ice cream be "communist"?

Are you even familiar with either company?

And this effects you ... how, exactly?
In regards to chick-fil-a and hobby lobby- what specific commercials or advertisements have you seen from either that push Christianity? I haven’t seen any from either company.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:34 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
While that is true....

Ben and Jerry are both Ultra WOKE, white, wealthy, hippy types in Vermont though. If I were to guess, they probably had a BLM sign in their yards... LOL!

And no one who is living a black life has ever laid eyes on that sign.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:00 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
We’ll see what happens. I won’t buy Ben & Jerrys and haven’t bought it for a long time. The brand is such a turn-off and homemade ice cream is easy to make and tastes a lot better.

My partner bought a pint the other week because it was on sale. He offered some of the ice cream to me and I was like “hell no, I don’t eat Communist ice cream.”
Communist ice cream.

Now that's funny! And it's also sad but true.

The best ice cream in my area is Tillamook. I don't know if they are communist or not (after all, I believe they are up there in the heart of communist held territory, Oregon). I haven't dared look because it is really, really good and I'd be sad to give it the middle finger like I do other "communist" products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
In regards to chick-fil-a and hobby lobby- what specific commercials or advertisements have you seen from either that push Christianity? I haven’t seen any from either company.
The commercials of Chick-fil-a that I've seen are, if anything, a bit on the pro homosexual/trans/diversity side of things. It's not overt. But they sort of have that vibe. Not that I really care as long as they are not being woke, blatant, in-your-face peacock activists about it.

Old 11-13-2023, 01:01 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
The only potential flavor for communist ice cream would be plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies