Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 12:04 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's not to "improve race relations," although that's the excuse they give. It's part of a larger effort to destroy the U.S. as we know it.
I don't think it's to destroy America. I think it's about damage control. Things were always bad. Because of that, there were attempts to lessen such gaps. Even with some progress, nothing has truly worked as well as some people hope. The individuals softening standards don't understand that it's doing more harm than good. Race relations have always been bad. They were bad in America from the very moment America began. America was basically set up to have bad race relations. Some things that were tried were needed and have resulted in some progress. However, some other things are doing more harm than good, and not yielding any results. Some people are at a loss at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 12:52 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
I was surprised the other day to see a young attractive girl with thousands of followers on instagram or tiktok with a title "My bag almost popped on the airplane". I clicked on it to see what she was talking about. The video is a young lady with IBS who has a colostomy showing how she had to empty it after her flight from Vegas. Thankfully she blurred out actually emptying the bag and then proceeded to put on a new one. But today's youth are paying her to make these videos through her Patreon and watching them.

I've been in medicine my whole life and actually was the primary caregiver to my grandmother who had colon cancer and a colostomy bag which I took care of as she couldn't bring herself to do it. The attraction to this vlogger is lost on me. I always questioned why Survivor, Amazing Race and MTV, who always had games like the Challenge, videoed contestants eating horrendous things and then throwing up. This is the norm now but I just don't understand the appeal.

Old 02-11-2024, 01:09 PM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The 1970s were a time where there was alot of drugs, lawless behavior, eroding of morality, which had been precipitating for years.
And Disco. Surely Disco belongs at the top of that list.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:55 PM

2,903 posts, read 993,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I was surprised the other day to see a young attractive girl with thousands of followers on instagram or tiktok with a title "My bag almost popped on the airplane". I clicked on it to see what she was talking about. The video is a young lady with IBS who has a colostomy showing how she had to empty it after her flight from Vegas. Thankfully she blurred out actually emptying the bag and then proceeded to put on a new one. But today's youth are paying her to make these videos through her Patreon and watching them.

I've been in medicine my whole life and actually was the primary caregiver to my grandmother who had colon cancer and a colostomy bag which I took care of as she couldn't bring herself to do it. The attraction to this vlogger is lost on me. I always questioned why Survivor, Amazing Race and MTV, who always had games like the Challenge, videoed contestants eating horrendous things and then throwing up. This is the norm now but I just don't understand the appeal.

Normalizing this is something I can totally understand. There's been such stigma surrounding anything to do with colostomy or ileostomy and it's unnecessary. Talking about it allows others who are experiencing the same thing to feel like they're not alone. I'm sure a lot of people learn from what she shares.

I give her credit for being open and honest, personally. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I fail to see how this fits into "lowering of standards in society."

Old 02-11-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
And Disco. Surely Disco belongs at the top of that list.
Why is there such a hatred for disco?

Old 02-11-2024, 03:21 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Watch some of those old live TV shows from the dawn of television. How people spoke. Their vocabularies and general attitudes towards each other. Then compare it to how people speak on TV today.

And consider this TV special from 1960. This is CBS Television, not PBS. It's from The Creative Performer.

What are the odds of something of this quality and intelligence being broadcast by CBS today? In today's era of reality television, unlikely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nx09pigZRI
Try tuning into BBC, Masterpiece Theatre or Sunday Morning. Quality shows are still there.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:24 PM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
Normalizing this is something I can totally understand. There's been such stigma surrounding anything to do with colostomy or ileostomy and it's unnecessary. Talking about it allows others who are experiencing the same thing to feel like they're not alone. I'm sure a lot of people learn from what she shares.

I give her credit for being open and honest, personally. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I fail to see how this fits into "lowering of standards in society."
The fact that people continue to watch her with her daily routine and giving her money through Patreon is to me disturbing. I too give her credit for attacking the stigma but how many stoma bag changes do you need to see. As well as people throwing up on all these shows.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:41 PM

6,670 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I was surprised the other day to see a young attractive girl ...

This is the norm now but I just don't understand the appeal.
The appeal is she is attractive
voyeuristic, vicarious living. It can be unhealthy, of course.

Look at all those 'thots' and e-girls. Just so tacky, doing inane things for views. And on the male side you get the pranksters and 'fake' reaction videos. But they make $$$$.

People go where the money is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And when that senator yelled “ liar” in our State of the Union Address at Obama- all loud in front of the entire planet, my kids gasped. I said, well, that’s that, Decorum is dead and the kraken is lose. The kids ran with it.
Speaking of social media clout chasers, imagine the government will be filled with these kids when they get older, lol. Imagine the kind of language and attitudes they will display in congress, no cap!

Heck , the older 'adult' politicians are already using social media to clap back at each other. And we all know about Trump and the twitter rants. What a vapid mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In many cases, youths have been seeing adults behave badly for decades. If you lived in the ghettos during the 1950s and 60s, you say plenty of adults behaving badly, all the way up to violence.

These days, yes, we allow the raunchiness on TV. It has been getting bad for ages.
Yeah, as it has always been, it is about what family and local environment people are growing up in. You can be the best parent in the world, but sometimes it is tough to compete against the street and peers, the people they actually have to interact with on a day to day basis.

Standards get chipped away one thread at a time. Madonna dancing around with her boobs out with Jesus in front of a burning cross. 2 Live Crew having sex on stage, ..lol. We celebrate tearing down norms and, at the time, each generation feels it is the right thing to do, in the name of being 'progressive'.

It's just what it is. With no standards people just sort of get aimless and apathetic. Best thing to do is try to keep your own morals in tact and navigate the waters, and hope you live a decent life with more good times than bad.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
The appeal is she is attractive
voyeuristic, vicarious living. It can be unhealthy, of course.

Look at all those 'thots' and e-girls. Just so tacky, doing inane things for views. And on the male side you get the pranksters and 'fake' reaction videos. But they make $$$$.

People go where the money is.

Speaking of social media clout chasers, imagine the government will be filled with these kids when they get older, lol. Imagine the kind of language and attitudes they will display in congress, no cap!

Heck , the older 'adult' politicians are already using social media to clap back at each other. And we all know about Trump and the twitter rants. What a vapid mess.

Yeah, as it has always been, it is about what family and local environment people are growing up in. You can be the best parent in the world, but sometimes it is tough to compete against the street and peers, the people they actually have to interact with on a day to day basis.

Standards get chipped away one thread at a time. Madonna dancing around with her boobs out with Jesus in front of a burning cross. 2 Live Crew having sex on stage, ..lol. We celebrate tearing down norms and, at the time, each generation feels it is the right thing to do, in the name of being 'progressive'.

It's just what it is. With no standards people just sort of get aimless and apathetic. Best thing to do is try to keep your own morals in tact and navigate the waters, and hope you live a decent life with more good times than bad.
There is a segment of the population that will watch stuff for the voyeurism and shock value. That woman might be trying to educate people, but there are creepy people out there. People of low standards. And yes, people go where the money is. Peep shows have been around for over a century. There are people who desire perverted stuff. It's just that now, such persons have no shame.

Social media clout chasers understand something. They understand that it's not always about being the best or having good stuff. It's about putting whatever will get the most attention. Shock value.

We already have political figures who aren't too different from the social media clout chasers. One of them served as President. He was born in the 1940s.

I think about what gets attention. The "Cash me outside" girl got famous for being a thuggish girl on Dr. Phil. In the 1990s/early 2000s, we called that being bad. We called that being a trouble maker. If she made an appearance on the Maury Show, she would get taken to boot camp or a visit to the county jail. In 1997, a girl like Danielle Bregoli didn't get a record deal. A girl like her got publicly shamed all through America. She would have been relegated to keeping a low profile.

I never knew Madonna danced on stage with her breasts hanging out. I didn't know she did that with Jesus in front of a burning cross. That's not art. That is blasphemy.

I think we still have standards. Those standards are being ignored. Some people feel that no amount of shaming will enforce those standards. Many people have given up. Individuals engaging in unbecoming behavior have pretty much flipped the bird at polite society. And those who have not, they just won't get it because they're in a totally different society on so many levels.

Old 02-11-2024, 06:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that there’s just been a broad lowering of standards for everything in life from etiquette, to education, to what employers put up with, to how parents parent, etc. No one gives a crap anymore. Americas competitive spirit is dead. This will not end well. This is what happened in Brazil and it turned into a very dangerous poverty stricken country. The lowering of standards will equate to lower quality of life for all of us.

Is it even possible to ever bring back standards now? In a sense maybe a recession would help?
I think those are signs but this forum really shows worse symptoms. Dealing in extremes all the damn time and refusing to accept things because you don't agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies