Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 04:49 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,711,590 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I thought all adults knew exactly what do to do in all situations, and that I, too, would gain this wisdom upon becoming an adult.

I have long since learned we're all just muddling through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 05:31 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Has there been 1 liberal on here who admitted they were wrong?
I dunno. Has there?

Old 02-29-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Bush Jr.

That is when I decided never to vote either side of a dung sandwich ever again.

The liberals in Seattle, who were holding signs and protesting loudly about 'No Blood For Oil' were actually right. I was wrong. It was blood for oil. That's all it was.

Oh, and on a personal note, when I was a kid, I never thought I would make it to the age of 30. That was during the Cold War and the threat of nuclear war. Well, I did, and I sat there in disbelief on my 30th birthday. "I can't believe I made it." That's what I kept saying, the whole day.
Me too… didnt think I’d make it to 50, but for very different reasons. I turned 50 last week.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:01 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I was wrong about Liberal thinking. I thought they thought, reasoned, & learned just like everyone else, but had different opinions on issues, life experiences, & educational backgrounds.

I was wrong.

Their brains do not function the same as everyone else's. They don't reason in the same way...using mostly logic, past experiences, & teachings....

Their own emotions are at the core of how they process information. It's the filter in how they see the World, & how they make decisions. Their own self-actualization, preservation, awareness, and worth, are also emotionaly-based.
This used to be the conventional wisdom - that liberals were more emotional ("bleeding heart") and conservatives were more pragmatic. But I find that today's republicans are as much or more emotion-driven. They routinely express hatred, fear, disgust and ridicule of others to justify their political positions. Immigrants are filthy criminals, transsexuals are deviant freaks and democrats are marxists bent on destroying America.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm the opposite. For most of my life, I considered myself an anti-Zionist. I scoffed my way through Birthright while reading exclusively anti-Israel scholarly works and promptly went to Palestine at the end of my trip. In recent years, I realized I wasn't reading enough of a well-rounded look at the region and I stopped seeing "Zionist" as a dirty word.

A few things still hold true for me: Netanyahu is a criminal who deserves to be taken out back and shot, the settlers in the West Bank should be removed - dragged out by their ears while a crowd yells "shame!" ideally - with no recompense, and people who are not Jewish but make being a Zionist part of their identity are no friends to the Jews.

Since October 7, I realized that I was wrong about antisemitism on the left. I had always experienced antisemitism from the right and most of my political spaces are primarily Jewish so I was insulated. Since October, it's become clear to me how antiZionism (which is different than criticism of Israel) is rooted in antisemitism.
I never had any firm thoughts on Zionism, having never studied it. Except I was in the broad general agreement that a Jewish state should exist. When I was young, my mother tried to enroll me in Jewish sunday school. But I hated it, and stopped going after a few times. Pretty much throughout my younger life, I just wanted to fit in with my American friends, and any hint of difference I tried to downplay.

It was only in college that I began taking interest. I took Israeli citizenship (and Hungarian citizenship, also through my mother) during this time. Made many trips. But still, I had only a cursory knowledge of the region, and unsurprisingly it was all the Israeli side as I wasn't motivated to do any research (I had other priorities). Like you, I went to "Palestine" (West Bank in my case, never went to Gaza). But without the proper research and the fact people tend to be none confrontational and don't discuss politics, I cannot say I got much out of that experience except observing the numerous checkpoints and feeling a tad bit "weird" about that.

Anyways, since doing a deep dive into the matter, it has changed my entire perspective. Oct 7 shocked me enough out of my slumber. At first I wanted to understand why those people (Hamas/Palestinians) could do something so barbaric, which led to me down this rabbit hole (not to mention that most of the horrific stories around Oct 7 turned out to be fabrications of someone's twisted imagination).

Old 03-01-2024, 09:04 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I dunno. Has there?
In post #98 I talked about how I stated that no way would Trump ever become President. Obviously I was wrong.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:09 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Doubtful. They will never admit they were wrong about allowing men to self-identify as women, which is a biological construct, yet drawing the line at people of color self-identifying as a different race, which is a social construct.

Apparently the human body makes mistakes when it comes to sex, but not race.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:19 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Pretty much everything...

Old 03-02-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I dunno. Has there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
In post #98 I talked about how I stated that no way would Trump ever become President. Obviously I was wrong.
Yep. xray731 just hasn't bothered to look. I posted about a few things that I have been wrong about, none of them really very political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Doubtful. They will never admit they were wrong about allowing men to self-identify as women, which is a biological construct, yet drawing the line at people of color self-identifying as a different race, which is a social construct.

Apparently the human body makes mistakes when it comes to sex, but not race.
Look harder.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:50 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
I didn't believe Biden was this mentally compromised. Boy was I wrong. Its amazing he has made it this far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies