Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 08:28 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Perhaps but Arizona cheated with paper ballots by having coincidental ballot issues in heavily republican districts. Plus black people are too stupid to get IDs and if you disagree you're a racist.
They used many strategies to steal an election I forget all of them. You could have people who don't count overseeing the whole process and if there is any shenanigans there should be harsh criminal penalties for those people. I think they made a documentary ten Thousands mules but I did not watch it I was watching really lat at night on the 2020 election and trump was winning so many states by a lot and then around 3 or 4 in the morning it all flipped the other way. They took days and stopped counting in various states making it suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 08:29 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We did it before voting machines existed, and we had the results the same night.

Nobody can (with a straight face) tell me that with years to prepare, a million votes can't be counted on election night in a city with the resources that Houston has. That's a bad joke, a bad excuse or just a straight up lie.

And what's the process for them to "be checked"? Why can't we "check" them the first time and avoid all the controversy?
The Houston area(Harris County) in 2020 had 1.4 million voters and an average of 85 races. That means there would be a total of 1,400,000*85 votes to count. That's 119,000,000 separate votes. Counting those by hand would require 100,000 people to complete counting in a reasonable amount of time, and that's if everything is perfect. Gillespie County GOP hand counted the GOP primary this year. About 8,000 votes. It took them all night to finish, and they then discovered numerous errors that had to be corrected. There were errors in legibility, transposing numbers, and other issues that arise when humans are involved.

Voting machines have been used in the US for well over 100 years. When I was in elementary school in the mid-1960's in Denver, there were huge machines with a bunch of levers. The voter would enter the machine and push a lever to close the curtain. They then set the levers to vote for their choices. Once they were done, another lever was pushed to increment the counters in the machine and the curtain opened.

When I started voting in 1978(I turned 18 a few weeks after the 1976 election), the ballot was a punch card. Those were fed through scanners to count the vote, and were used until the 2000 Florida issues revealed issues with them and we started using machines.

The Harris County votes work as I described earlier. You vote on a tablet, and a paper ballot is printed with your choices. You feed that paper into a scanner and the ballots are counted and dropped into a secure box underneath the scanner. To check that counts are correct, the paper ballots can be rescanned on a different scanner, or they can be counted for one race by hand. Counting all races by hand would be too time consuming.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How will that happen? Does that mean you want the world to know how you voted?
I want to know who I voted for. The world can see who I voted for, it’s in my front lawn.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:40 AM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I do not know of any place in the US where a voter can see how they voted once the ballot has been cast. As I said before, that is on purpose and by law. If you can find your vote in the total, you can prove to the guy that paid you to vote a certain way that you actually did so.

Some states are allowing ballot selfies, but that doesn't prove how you voted, as the ballot can be changed before being counted.
And you’re expecting me to trust the outcome? Ain’t happening. Remember these are the same people that told us we were all gonna die of covid. The same people that specifically exempted themselves from Obamacare, want me to go on. Our leaders are weak and largely useless.

These people are not acting in our interests, I would hesitate to let them park my car.

Last edited by stank1964; 03-23-2024 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-23-2024, 10:21 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We did it before voting machines existed, and we had the results the same night.
Voting machines have been around for decades. Fewer voters, faster vote counts. Anyway, off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 instances in a county I once lived in where results were not available for a few days - voting machine issues, mostly, but weather once was a factor when the ballots got wet on a rainy election night as they were transported to the county seat. They had to be counted by hand because they couldn't go through the machines. That took at least a week, if I remember correctly, in a county of only 250,000 people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why don't you go on down to the county courthouse and learn how voting is handled?
Everyone should do this. I'm speechless at the ignorance some folks have of the voting process, policies, procedures, and checks and balances. Every voter should volunteer to work at the board of elections at least one night in their lives. It's an eye opening experience. For that matter, every voter should be a member of the League of Women Voters, and if there's not one in your county, start one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
They used many strategies to steal an election I forget all of them.
That's because it didn't happen.
Quote:
You could have people who don't count overseeing the whole process
That already does happen.
Quote:
I think they made a documentary ten Thousands mules but I did not watch it
Classic.
Quote:
They took days
Would you rather have an accurate count, or a swift count? You choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
And you’re expecting me to trust the outcome? Ain’t happening.
That's on you. Anyone who refuses to educate themselves about the voting process and its checks and balances is making their own bed, and they need to lie in it or do something about it (like educate themselves). Ignorance is not bliss, no matter what the GOP and Breitbart tell you.

Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM

103 posts, read 38,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

For that matter, every voter should be a member of the League of Women Voters, and if there's not one in your county, start one.
Why? Is my wife's vote more precious than mine?

Old 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Some of the charts from the article...

I am in no way a Biden supporter, nor a supporter of the Democratic Party. I’m a right-of- center independent. But none of this proves elections are rigged. The changing vote totals on election night have been explained countless times. The in person votes tend to be counted first, mail in votes take longer to count and come in later. This changes who is leading, since the Republicans encourage their voters to only vote on Election Day in person, and discourage mail in voting. This is ironic because I’m old enough to remember the days when absentee ballots ( mail in votes ) were overwhelmingly Republican.

I think weeks and weeks of early voting is ridiculous. I think voters should present ID to vote. I think ballot harvesting should be illegal. But if Republicans ever want to win elections, they need to utilize all legal tools at their disposal and recognize that methods of voting have changed. Quit complaining about the results when you lose.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:31 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinT View Post
Why? Is my wife's vote more precious than mine?
I was a member for years. Any man can also be a member. LWV came out of the suffragette movement. Remember back when women were not allowed to vote in most states. They are a non partisan group who studies issues and educates the public about voting and ballot issues.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:37 AM

1,866 posts, read 647,271 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Voter ID required. Paper ballots. Electronic counters. Printed receipt for voters. No internet. Hand count to verify electronic counter.

Can anyone argue with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Okay, so what is a voter ID and how in the world is that used to ensure that only valid votes are allowed, one vote per valid voter?
A 'voter ID' is a form of legally accepted identification method, such as passport and driver's license, and is used to access a ballot.

When I was active duty and overseas, I erred on a ballot and legally speaking, I committed ballot fraud. The voting officer laughed and explained that my error is common, even though legally a 'fraud', because we move often and many people erred about their current duty stations vs legal home addresses. So I was allowed to re-do my ballot.

Ballot frauds can never be eliminated. But with voter ID, ballot frauds can be reduced to being statistically insignificant, meaning cannot affect the election. Voter ID is exclusionary, meaning if you cannot establish your bona fide, you cannot participate in an election. There is nothing immoral about demanding you to prove who you are to do something. We do that daily. Your ATM PIN is a sort of ID to access your financial assets via one method. If you walk into the bank, they can use your ATM PIN or your driver's license to allow access to your money. If a man with a toolbox knocks on your door, you would want an ID to prove he is from the service company that you called earlier. So there is nothing wrong with legally requiring a government approved ID to vote.

Critics of voter ID laws use statistically small number of people from a previous generation that somehow were unable to have an ID. That is a valid point and those people deserves our sympathy. But, would any of them allow a stranger carrying a toolbox to just enter their home? We know the answer -- No. So now we have a contradiction. A person who has no valid ID demanding IDs from others but also demand a personal exception from showing an ID to vote.

Voter ID is morally correct and MUST be implemented. Although frauds can never be %100 eliminated, voter ID laws does reduces the opportunities for frauds and that is what the Left hates.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:58 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
A few years ago my mom and dad returned home here to Louisiana after living up north in Maryland for many years. When they went to register to vote here they were told that they were still on the voter rolls in Maryland even after not living there for a year and a half and that Maryland had to remove them before they can vote in Louisiana.

Local elections comissions are supposed to "purge" the voter rolls yearly to remove people who no longer live there or people who have passed away. My family believes their names were left there even after leaving Maryland (where they voted Republican despite their vote not counting just like Democrat votes don't matter in Louisiana for any statewide office) so their names can be used for voter fraud such as mail fraud. This is also how dead people are voting, and how as Dinesh D'Souza points out in his 3000 Mules movie how people who have been in a nursing home, who can hardly walk, are "voting".

I dont' think its mere incompetence that my mom and dad's names were not removed from the Maryland voter rolls. They can be efficient in regulations when they WANT to be, such as runnign an undercover operation during the Chinese kung flu to go after a hairstylist working illegally from her home in violation of shutdown orders (but flash mobs, criminal gangs, etc are allowed to run wild with no consequences and rioters and looters go unpunished and uninvesgiated). Elections in Maryland and other northern liberal states are not secure. Maryland doesn't require photo ID to vote, and even if it did it wouldn't matter because they also allow illegal aliens and other foreign citizens to get drivers licenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies