Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:55 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

"Associated Builders and Contractors today released the following statement ahead of congressional Democrats’ reintroduction of the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, which is set for Feb. 28. Among its many harmful provisions, the PRO Act would violate workers’ free choice and privacy rights, force unions on employees who have voted against such representation, cost millions of American jobs and threaten vital supply chains.

“The PRO Act is nothing more than an attempt to strip workers of their privacy, freedom and choice,” said Kristen Swearingen, ABC vice president of legislative & political affairs. “Congress must reject this legislation and protect the rights of workers and employers across the country. Democrats in Congress are attempting to increase union membership at the expense of employees’ rights to privacy, employers’ constitutional right to free speech and opportunities for small businesses.
"

https://www.abc.org/News-Media/News-...-and-employers

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-.../house-bill/20

A good video with Mike Rowe about it.

https://youtu.be/XflGzv9_eUQ?si=KRNR1ufISv3sqXEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 07:34 AM

22 posts, read 4,093 times
It is my belief that we desperately need more unionization among workers, so I'm in favor of it.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:47 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Here is a fairly reasonable list of what the Pro act does.

Obviously labor unions are for it and business interests are against it.

My take
1) Allows secondary strikes
2) Reverse the SCOTUS decision that allowed employees to not pay dues inside a union shop
3) Prevent forced anti-union meetings by employers.
4) Increase penalties for violations NLRB
5) Changes some 'independent contractors' to employees using the definition of 'outside the normal business of the employer' is very broad. This one looks like a swipe against Uber etc.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:58 AM

7,920 posts, read 3,462,774 times
If they had to use less propagandistic names for these acts the "Protecting the Right to Organize Act" would be the "Enforcing the Obligation to Organize Act".

Old 03-25-2024, 08:07 AM

6,799 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm-1995 View Post
It is my belief that we desperately need more unionization among workers, so I'm in favor of it.
I worked in a union environment (public employees union) earlier in my career and now I’m not in a union environment which is a much better fit for me. Why do you think I should be forced to join a union?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:20 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Being in the construction trades and a Union member for 40+ years, I'm quite familiar with ABC and their anti-Union/anti-worker biases so anything they say is suspect. That said, I learned early on a lot of the Union demands are totally unreasonable and in the long run are bad for workers and the economy. You push a contractor hard enough, they'll just go non-Union and be done with it.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:31 AM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjm-1995 View Post
Ceasar Chavez, big labor organizer from 50 years back had a farm labor union out west.

It's lost 90% of it's membership, gee....it's a mystery whom is being hired instead of them.

Sorry but HR20 and similar things are mostly smoke and mirror attempts, reality is millions and millions of cheap laborers let in the country. I mean seriously, it's not a mystery why.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
If they had to use less propagandistic names for these acts the "Protecting the Right to Organize Act" would be the "Enforcing the Obligation to Organize Act".
No, that is the name a business interest would call it. Most acts get propaganda names from either side.

A neutral name would be something along the very boring lines of.
2024 adjustments to union organization and activities act.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:55 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
No, that is the name a business interest would call it. Most acts get propaganda names from either side.

A neutral name would be something along the very boring lines of.
2024 adjustments to union organization and activities act.
Good boring name there, and I would offer the intellectually honest name as:

"2024 language update Act because people figured out where the cracks were in the earlier Act."

Old 03-25-2024, 03:46 PM

7,319 posts, read 3,804,222 times
Tech companies have abused independent contractors for decades. The contractors basically have the same constraints as employees but none of the benefits.

They do not work at the location of their choosing or make their own schedule -- They come into the office and work the same hours as employees.
They do not use their own equipment -- They use company hardware.
They are required to attend company meetings at the time specified by the company.

IOW, they are employees. They should be hired as employees and receive the same benefits as employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies