Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:00 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Is “whitewashed” a racist term?
How about when you get your teeth “whitened”?
Or “white water” rafting?
“White lightening”
“White hot”
“White noise”
Shall I continue?
No. Words nor inanimate objects can be racist. Racism requires some cognitive ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 11:32 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is that the same as shanghai?
Never heard of blackbird in that context.

How is slavery racist?
No, it is not. People were Shanghaied to work as crew on a ship.

Did you read the link? Your not having heard of it does not mean it did not happen.

Do you really have to ask your last question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
My previous point was that one can probably find some negative connotation with a significant part of our vocabulary, so the whole exercise seems rather non-productive.
I agree. I was addressing the statement that blackbird could not have a negative connotation. With regard to slavery, it does.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:11 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, it is not. People were Shanghaied to work as crew on a ship.

Did you read the link? Your not having heard of it does not mean it did not happen.

Do you really have to ask your last question?
Wow, really hit a nerve.
Shanghaid also evolved to mean people being kidnapped or tricked to work against their will for little or no compensation on a ship or foreign land.

Yes I did read the link.

Blackbirding is the coercion of people through deception or kidnapping to work as slaves or poorly paid labourers in countries distant from their native land.

Does it matter if they were forced to work on a ship or on a sugar plantation?
Common themes; coercion, kidnapped, trickery, deception, force, poorly paid.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
I think you missed the part about words that have negative connotations. Hence why "blackballed" would certainly make this list, but "blackbird" would not.
"Blackbird"(or any word) remains off the list only as long as someone doesn't say that it has negative connotations. And someone's definition of negative connotations can change at any time. With Blackbird, they just haven't gotten around to it as you can find many references to it and slavery.

Quote:
That said, I'm a firm believer that this fixation on the history of words is nonsensical, since:

A) if you go back far enough, you could probably exclude half the words in the english language due to some type of "undesirable" origination
I'd probably say closer to 75%.

Quote:
B) why is it that some words can be "warped" to mean something new in today's view, can't we just treat these other words in the same way, after all, how many folks today even know what the actual history of the word "cakewalk", to the vast majority of folks, it just simply means something that's easy.
Look at who is doing this and why they are doing it and you will have your answer. They want to control the language. Once they control language other types of control become easier.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:01 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
"Blackbird"(or any word) remains off the list only as long as someone doesn't say that it has negative connotations. And someone's definition of negative connotations can change at any time. With Blackbird, they just haven't gotten around to it as you can find many references to it and slavery.

I'd probably say closer to 75%.

Look at who is doing this and why they are doing it and you will have your answer. They want to control the language. Once they control language other types of control become easier.
The lunacy of the Woke is boundless. Soon enough we'll likely hear an argument from some DEI PhD holder that all languages originating in Europe are both settler-colonialist and embodied Whiteness, and as a consequence should be phased out of usage in deference to the proliferation of native tribal languages and Arabic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies