Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:46 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

These "ancient" diseases are coming back due to illegal immigration, defrosting permafrost, air travel all over the world and the stupidity of not being vaccinated!

This article needs attention

Do Americans get vaccinated for leprosy ? Or malaria ?
Is that due to "stupidity"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 08:04 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
The fact of the matter is the government suppression of very well qualified doctors who were calling for caution with the Covid vaccine (and were proven to be correct on a number of issues) has lead to people not trusting very well understood and very important vaccines.

The problem of distrust that we have isnt a result of disinformation. It's a result of people not trusting a government who pushed bad information and suppressed scientists who didnt go along with the party line.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:06 PM

31,011 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Yep, anyone that didn't tow the line that the vaccine had zero side effects, and that Dr. Fauchi was beyond reproach was deemed to spread fake information

Old 03-26-2024, 09:26 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Do Americans get vaccinated for leprosy ? Or malaria ?
Is that due to "stupidity"?
No, that's due to the lack of actual vaccines for those diseases. I've had malaria. It's not fun. And that was despite taking malaria prevention pills.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:35 AM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No, that's due to the lack of actual vaccines for those diseases. I've had malaria. It's not fun. And that was despite taking malaria prevention pills.
There is a vaccine for leprosy and there is a vaccine for malaria.

These "ancient" illnesses that the OP talks about are here in the US again.
But it's certainly not due to "anti-vaxxers"

The elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about are bringing these diseases into the country.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:38 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There is a vaccine for leprosy and there is a vaccine for malaria.

These "ancient" illnesses that the OP talks about are here in the US again.
But it's certainly not due to "anti-vaxxers"

The elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about are bringing these diseases into the country.
The R21 vaccine for malaria is the first approved vaccine for malaria and that came out in 2022, and is approved for kids.

Leprosy doesn't have a specific vaccine, it's that BCG vaccine (used for TB).

Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Government needs to mind their own business.
Defend our border. Stick to doing what the constitution actually says your supposed to do.
And all you lefty’s need to stop pandering the government to suit your nanny Karen needs.
You’ve given away too much control over the years. Please stop.
Intelligent Americans can make informed decisions. The rest deserve to be Darwined.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:44 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion...un=g2189574d0r

— Combating vaccine falsehoods and other inaccurate claims protects public health

This is a serious medical problem (I won't even go into the highly charged COVID vaccines) but when an eradicated disease comes back we are in deep dodo

What's next polio, smallpox etc?

So many anti-vaxers have no clue as to the ramifications of their actions. Measles is not a benign illness. It can lead to life threatening situations

We all know how bad smallpox was. AS for polio, growing up in the 40s and 50s, I lost a lot of friends to polio and sadly visited a friend living in an iron lung (unfortunately, I lost contact with him when we moved to Cincinnati.)

These "ancient" diseases are coming back due to illegal immigration, defrosting permafrost, air travel all over the world and the stupidity of not being vaccinated!

There is TONS of false and inaccurate medical information online.

I tell patients to read such information with a skeptical eye and only look at .org sites.
Still, nearly all patients lack the ability to understand the methods and statistics of medical studies, let alone the study design, and thus are unable to draw accurate conclusions from a given study.

Only trust as well articles from MAJOR JOURNALS, which at least have a decent editorial board. There are tons of junk journals that will print garbage.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:46 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:

— Combating vaccine falsehoods and other inaccurate claims protects public health

This is a serious medical problem (I won't even go into the highly charged COVID vaccines) but when an eradicated disease comes back we are in deep dodo

So many anti-vaxers have no clue as to the ramifications of their actions. Measles is not a benign illness. It can lead to life threatening situations

We all know how bad smallpox was. AS for polio, growing up in the 40s and 50s, I lost a lot of friends to polio and sadly visited a friend living in an iron lung (unfortunately, I lost contact with him when we moved to Cincinnati.)

Beware of the Streisand Effect. If the government censors what it considers to be misinformation, then the moment they make a mistake and censor legitimate info about potential side-effects* , it will go viral, and damage their credibility. Always consider the risk of a measure backfiring before you propose it.

* It's only a matter of "when", not "if". They don't have the time or the resources to properly investigate every claim that is made, so they will declare something false simply because it has not been confirmed to their liking, or perhaps even due to being flagged by an algorithm.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:00 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,697,754 times
Quote:

Whats next? Every infomerical for weight loss, hair replacement, testosterone, etc. should be banned??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies