Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 09:17 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If that were in the US they would demand it be taken down and put in some back room.

We got rid of statues, flags, paintings, renamed streets....and they still aren't happy.
I can see it now. The Sistine Chapel repainted with BLM slogans over a Palestinian flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 09:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Well techincally, the holy bible is full of racism and sexism. So there is that! .

Has she checked out any Islamic art works lately?
The Islamic world love a bit of criticism, perhaps she should start with Mohammed.

TBH - people like Robin DeAngeloare just attention grabbing idiots, with sociology degrees and nonsense doctorates, ad are just part of a money making left wing industry that continually spouts out such claims.

I doubt the Italians would agree, and I really don't think she should be criticising other nations art or labelling their great historic artists as racists.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:07 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Woke University of Washington professor who authored White Fragility, Robin DeAngelo, claims Michelangelo's famous painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is a perfect example of racism and sexism.

She claims if you look at the part of the painting where God creates "David" (she didn't apparently realize it is of God creating Adam and David is his sculpture) that it shows white privilege, racism, and sexism.

Doesn't every, yes, every culture have origin stories depicting their first people looking like them?

https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/...76048406036978
Wokies only option is self destruction. If everything is against you, peopel, words, movies, symbols inanimate objects, art, names of lakes and birds, depression is your only hope/

Old 03-27-2024, 10:54 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Woke University of Washington professor who authored White Fragility, Robin DeAngelo, claims Michelangelo's famous painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is a perfect example of racism and sexism.

She claims if you look at the part of the painting where God creates "David" (she didn't apparently realize it is of God creating Adam and David is his sculpture) that it shows white privilege, racism, and sexism.

Doesn't every, yes, every culture have origin stories depicting their first people looking like them?
I don't think his paintings could possible be racist since the majority during his time were white people and most had little knowledge of other races.
The only racism would be the difference between the well to do and the surf class. Most wars at that time was fought between whites of different tribes and rebelling classes.

Sexism....of course in the time of Michelangelo, and before and after, women had very limited access to the male dominated world.
The Bible ever allowed sexism and left women to be second class citizens which in some parts of the world still exist today.
Michelangelo had no knowledge what it was like at the turn of BCE to AD when he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel except what was hand down, which anyone knows was distorted over time.
The person Christ like most of the Bible was made up by men with a lot of time on their hands. The facts stories written by Paul (who didn't know a man called Jesus) and Josephus who was born on the same year as Jesus death, about a Christ both were written nearly 50 years after his supposed death. Remember the new testament was written in Greek who had only the knowledge handed down year to year, person to person and the narrative was controlled by the church elders. And the Bible as we know it today didn't come to being until around 320 AD.
Take a visit to the Louvre in Paris or any art museum in Europe and see all the difference faces of Jesus in the thousands of paintings depicting him.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:01 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
These woke people could see racism in a doorknob.
...and overplay their hand...every time

Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 AM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
Of course they could, just look at what they've said is racist already. Band-aids, STEM, cauliflower, coffee, education, hard work, timeliness, thumbs-up, the Constitution, private property, national sovereignty, etc. There is nothing beyond accusation for the Woke priesthood and their systemically deranged congregants.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:30 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
They can. I think of a reverse of the old saying "When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail."

In today's victim culture, it's "When you're a nail everything looks like a hammer."

Old 03-27-2024, 03:47 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Woke professors criticize everything about Christianty. Not a peep from them about bigger problems with Islam? Throw homosexuals off the roof to their death. Surgically remove women's clitoris so they can't enjoy orgasm. Stone wives today for divorce or complaining their husband cheated on them.

Not a peep. Hypocrites. They know what their doing.
Woke, before it became the bad word it is today, used to mean "being aware". It's really sad it's become what it has. To your point, I don't think "they" do know what they're doing. There's no perspective. I don't even know why this person took the time to write about Michelangelo - I wonder if she's ever been to the Sistine Chapel.

I got a dirty look from my niece because I said, as we were passing some bronze statues in an artsy area, that while I don't have to agree with the Confederates, why did we have to destroy so much art? If a large group of people who inhabit a town with a historically bad reminder of how things were are upset, we don't have to trash the art. There are things called museums - where we can teach history and appreciate the artistry and craft behind the statue (or whatever it might be).

I apply this to the art displayed at the Sistine Chapel - if you don't agree with the "message", can you not appreciate the art? I think I agree with the hammer/nail scenario - our extremists are really going for broke.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:48 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
What a sad life to live to see racism in everything.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:34 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Woke, before it became the bad word it is today, used to mean "being aware". It's really sad it's become what it has. To your point, I don't think "they" do know what they're doing. There's no perspective. I don't even know why this person took the time to write about Michelangelo - I wonder if she's ever been to the Sistine Chapel.

I got a dirty look from my niece because I said, as we were passing some bronze statues in an artsy area, that while I don't have to agree with the Confederates, why did we have to destroy so much art? If a large group of people who inhabit a town with a historically bad reminder of how things were are upset, we don't have to trash the art. There are things called museums - where we can teach history and appreciate the artistry and craft behind the statue (or whatever it might be).

I apply this to the art displayed at the Sistine Chapel - if you don't agree with the "message", can you not appreciate the art? I think I agree with the hammer/nail scenario - our extremists are really going for broke.
I see a lot of abhorent art publicly displayed. In my ideal world, that garbage would not exist but I would never advocate destroying it or removing it. The First Amendment guarantees offensive free expression, which art qualifies under. I have a right to be offended but I have no right to trample on the other guy's right to display it.

Too many brainwashed people today think that experiencing offense is a license to tramp on other people's rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies