Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 04:56 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
These woke people could see racism in a doorknob.

The doorknob may have been invented by a white dude...

Actually it looks like the first patent for the doorknob in America went to Osborn Dorsey, an African American inventor. How wrong I was!

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...orknob-in-1878

Last edited by andywire; 03-27-2024 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 05:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I can see it now. The Sistine Chapel repainted with BLM slogans over a Palestinian flag.

We can just ask Gemini to show us the Sistine Chapel fresco and I'm sure it will do it for us Black non-binary God reaching out and touching piercings with a Hispanic non-binary trans "Adam" sitting in a wheel chair and with Justin Trudeau faced cherubs flittering about.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:09 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
We can just ask Gemini to show us the Sistine Chapel fresco and I'm sure it will do it for us Black non-binary God reaching out and touching piercings with a Hispanic non-binary trans "Adam" sitting in a wheel chair and with Justin Trudeau faced cherubs flittering about.
That is just wrong.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:14 AM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I see a lot of abhorent art publicly displayed. In my ideal world, that garbage would not exist but I would never advocate destroying it or removing it. The First Amendment guarantees offensive free expression, which art qualifies under. I have a right to be offended but I have no right to trample on the other guy's right to display it.

Too many brainwashed people today think that experiencing offense is a license to tramp on other people's rights.
I agree that some art isn't for me but I also agree it's not up to me to trample all over their right to display it. I'm not sure the Sistine Chapel qualifies but I get your point!

I don't necessarily think these folks today are brainwashed so much as they think they've found their voice and therefore you, too, should feel the same. It's self-absorption at its worst. It's gotten worse to be sure but I'm also older, a little wiser, and have a lot more perspective than I did when I was young. I can only hope things get better but I'm not sure at this point.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:06 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They can. I think of a reverse of the old saying "When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail."

In today's victim culture, it's "When you're a nail everything looks like a hammer."
Leftism really is a cancer. I see students buy into the notion that they are victims because they belong to such and such group and the rest of the world is out to get then. They then try less, because why try hard when everyone is out to get you and then they fail, which is blamed on being oppressed rather than lack of effort.

So much talent gets wasted by the cult of victimhood.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:21 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
The Sh$t these people come up with
Just the toxic, filthy underbelly of progressive academia.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:27 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The doorknob may have been invented by a white dude...

Actually it looks like the first patent for the doorknob in America went to Osborn Dorsey, an African American inventor. How wrong I was!

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...orknob-in-1878
He perfected it but according lock and key maker Schlage "....In the late 1500s and beyond, we start seeing individual rooms, but only in palaces and the most stately homes. For example, when Louis XIV reigned France and built the Palace of Versailles, highly decorative and delicate door knobs were created both for the king and his courtiers. The purpose was more about displaying and opulence than achieving security, however....."

Old 03-30-2024, 11:44 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I guess it was a slow news day? Where do these idiots come from and how do their crazy takes catch on?

What I don't understand is how anyone with a dose of common sense can apply the standards of today with something from hundreds of years ago?

Ultimately we are all lucky that the painting is on the ceiling and well out of reach for the Fools that would spray paint on it to protest something stupid.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:50 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Oh yeah?

Nice to know. I still worship Michelangelo.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:17 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I don't think his paintings could possible be racist since the majority during his time were white people and most had little knowledge of other races.
The only racism would be the difference between the well to do and the surf class. Most wars at that time was fought between whites of different tribes and rebelling classes. ...

Not to mention there was no slave trade in Italy in the 1500's. Slave trading began in the 1500's but not there. In fact it wasn't even Italy then, just a bunch of independent city-states:
Quote:
None of those city states had the navies or ships necessary to conduct a cross Atlantic slave trade... None of the Italian city states collected slaves in Africa under any Italian flag and then transported them across the Atlantic for sale - Marco Biagini
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies