Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 02:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If the city was doing their job of arresting the graffiti makers and fining them and forcing them to clean up their messes via community service then they would be able to complain. But they don't even arrest the people who commit thefts much less arrest and fine vandals. They lost all that revenue from fining criminals and are trying to make it up by fining the innocent citizens who have no control over this.
So, put up a camera at least, cops can't be everywhere 24/7, why not help them out

Haha

Even a fake camera can be a deterrent

Cops cant be everywhere at once

Help them out

Haha

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 02:36 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
My aunt lived in a slummy area (it was nice once but got bad because of certain policies and auntie was stubborn), my family would care for her property when she got too old. She got a notice about weeds, warning about a fine. There were not weeds, it was grass, mowed grass poking through the fence a tiny amount. We had to remove the grass totally from the perimeter so it would never contact the chain link fence because the horror. In the slum, where there are vermin, druggies, graffitti, trash, etc. They really went after home owners for every little thing, and the renters and squatters got to do whatever they want.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:38 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
If the city was doing their job of arresting the graffiti makers and fining them
How do you know the city hasn't done this? Or maybe the city should post cops at every property to ensure that vandals aren't afoot.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:43 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wait a minute here ... The property owner here is the one violating city codes; the city of Oakland is only enforcing them.

Shouldn't this property owner be following the law?
Why is his age an issue?
Shouldn't he be pulling himself up by his own bootstraps and maintaining his own property?

Devil's advocate points to ponder. Code enforcement can be a pain, and sometimes the codes enforced seem illogical or downright stupid or superfluous, but it's a necessary measure that protects all property owners' investments. Usually code enforcement is easy to appeal to, as long as you don't get your panties in a knot about it. Code enforcement staff has a job to do, just like the rest of us.
Do you suppose he did the graffiti himself?

Old 03-27-2024, 03:09 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Of course blame the victim...never mind the criminals that are actually doing the graffiti.

Perhaps instead of "Code Enforcement" they should focus on "Law Enforcement".
Exactly

Old 03-27-2024, 03:11 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So, put up a camera at least, cops can't be everywhere 24/7, why not help them out

Haha

Even a fake camera can be a deterrent

Cops cant be everywhere at once

Help them out

Haha
Sure, cameras help crime as attested by the thousands of criminals committing crimes on camera that go unpunished everyday.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:14 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
How do you know the city hasn't done this? Or maybe the city should post cops at every property to ensure that vandals aren't afoot.
I don't care. I'm just saying fining a property owner for not cleaning up graffiti when the city is not doing their job of preventing it is ridiculous, particularly when the man is 102 years old. It's outrageous.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:18 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl81 View Post
wait a minute here ... The property owner here is the one violating city codes; the city of oakland is only enforcing them.

Shouldn't this property owner be following the law?
Why is his age an issue?
Shouldn't he be pulling himself up by his own bootstraps and maintaining his own property?

Devil's advocate points to ponder. Code enforcement can be a pain, and sometimes the codes enforced seem illogical or downright stupid or superfluous, but it's a necessary measure that protects all property owners' investments. Usually code enforcement is easy to appeal to, as long as you don't get your panties in a knot about it. Code enforcement staff has a job to do, just like the rest of us.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:59 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Oakland communists going after people they know will pay.

Now go after the gang bangers who never, ever pay for their helicopter rides to the trauma center to treat gunshot wounds.

Multiple times.

Old 03-27-2024, 06:00 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Perhaps you misunderstood or just didn't bother to read the article. We aren't talking about some guy having a car on his lawn, or just dumping a bunch of beer bottles all over his porch. He had someone ILLEGALLY vandalize his property with graffiti and now he is the one in trouble. This guy is 102(almost 103) years old, in a wheelchair, and before he was wheelchair bound did go out and clean up the graffiti. So I don't think I would classify this guy as lazy.

MOST cities have programs where people convicted of graffiti are also required to perform "Community Service" and clean it up. But apparently not in Oakland. Not sure if cost is an issue, but have you seen the cost for a gallon of paint? A halfway decent exterior paint will run you $40-$60/gallon and we have no idea how much graffiti this guy has to cover.
Not true if it's on private property you are responsible to clean it up how I know because neighbor hood services gave my neighbor a ticket for graffiti on his wall. I was given a ticket once because someone dumped an old couch behind a house lived in 30 years ago had an alley since I was the corner lot it was easy to dump junk behind the house in the alley. I was also responsible for 3 feet behind my fence for weeds growing in the alley per city code.

Life isn't fair but we all have to keep neighborhoods clean perfect world is the police catch people spray painting graffiti not a prefect world police have little time to investigate home burglaries not going to investigate graffiti. 1980's police used to do something about it this is 2024 not the case anymore. I understand he is 100 years old his family who is younger should be taking care of the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies