Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 06:21 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
To be fair, looking at the articles the California proposal relates to DACA recipients and the Illinois proposal relates to legal residents that are non-citizens. I think lumping DACA recipients in with the pool of illegal immigration we have seen over the last few years is a little disingenuous. There is a qualitative difference, at least in my mind.
Read the HB3751 “individuals who are not citizens, but are legally authorized to work in the US under federal law”

That means anybody arriving to the US with a work visa. A lot of employers in the US file petitions for foreign workers via USCIS and Department of Labor to come work in the US if they are unable to find American workers to fill the position. In another world, a law enforcement in IL or CA can petition some dudes from China or Europe or Mexico to work as a cop in the US with a work visa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 06:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Read the HB3751 “individuals who are not citizens, but are legally authorized to work in the US under federal law”

That means anybody arriving to the US with a work visa. A lot of employers in the US file petitions for foreign workers via USCIS and Department of Labor to come work in the US if they are unable to find American workers to fill the position. In another world, a law enforcement in IL or CA can petition some dudes from China or Europe or Mexico to work as a cop in the US with a work visa
I've been involved in some H1B visa applications for previous employers so I am somewhat familiar with the process, which is not an easy one. My point simply was that much is made on the forum that immigrants are fine "if they come the right way" versus those that sneak across the border. So we can argue about the things that need to be fixed in the broken immigration system - there are many, My point was this distinction is not made in many of these threads. I don't see a problem with a city hiring a DACA recipient who has been here since s/he was 1 year old for police work. I think that is qualitatively different than hiring someone who snuck across the border 6 months ago to be a police officer.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I've been involved in some H1B visa applications for previous employers so I am somewhat familiar with the process, which is not an easy one. My point simply was that much is made on the forum that immigrants are fine "if they come the right way" versus those that sneak across the border. So we can argue about the things that need to be fixed in the broken immigration system - there are many, My point was this distinction is not made in many of these threads. I don't see a problem with a city hiring a DACA recipient who has been here since s/he was 1 year old for police work. I think that is qualitatively different than hiring someone who snuck across the border 6 months ago to be a police officer.
I work for CBP for 15 years. I am quite familiar with H1B and other work visa classifications

What concern me here isn’t the citizenship status, but the residency status. DACA does not have citizenship status, but they have residency status since they were children. It means they are loyal (at least I hope they are) or somewhat loyal to their adopted country

Some dudes who flew straight across the ocean from China or Europe via work visa to the U.S. does not have any loyalty to the U.S. because they do not have residency status here

Old 04-03-2024, 06:35 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
MS 13 police officers. I can't wait.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:44 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
Quote:
I work for CBP for 15 years. I am quite familiar with H1B and other work visa classifications

What concern me here isn’t the citizenship status, but the residency status. DACA does not have citizenship status, but they have residency status since they were children. It means they are loyal (at least I hope they are) or somewhat loyal to their adopted country

Some dudes who flew straight across the ocean from China or Europe via work visa to the U.S. does not have any loyalty to the U.S. because they do not have residency status here
And that's fair, but I think it is farfetched to think that police departments would want to go through the H1B process for officers. It would be a circular problem since they would have to show that the individuals were already qualified for the position. In the case of a doctor, medicine works the same way in one country and another. But laws are different, so even if the potential H1B applicant is a police officer in his/her home country, it would be difficult for someone to demonstrate that the applicant is qualified. To that point, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to see the H1B process used for police officers for exactly that reason.

But that isn't what the OP was discussing. The OP was about DACA recipients and immigrants that are legal residents. I know the Democrats are trying to change the definition of legally present, but I think that is also a separate issue.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:31 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:

You do know green card holders work for the US government right ?? And if you ever took a post overseas, you would see how many more work for the US Government.

Steps to Work In the USA. To work in USA, the first and foremost requirement is to obtain a permit to live and work in the USA. You must have a valid work visa or a green card so that the opportunities in the American job market become available to you.Mar 24, 2024

Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals may be appointed to competitive service Federal jobs. In rare cases, agencies may hire certain non-citizens when there are no qualified U.S. citizens available, unless the appointment is prohibited by statute.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
LAPD is going to get an even worse rep than they already have if they allow this.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Another way to defund the police, since they could pay them less. How will the police unions react? I know they won't pay less, but hundreds of people will think this. My question about police unions is different. Will they welcome them with open arms or rise to stop this? Their lives depend on trusting their fellow cop.

Last edited by Creekcat; 04-03-2024 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
You do know green card holders work for the US government right ?? And if you ever took a post overseas, you would see how many more work for the US Government.

Steps to Work In the USA. To work in USA, the first and foremost requirement is to obtain a permit to live and work in the USA. You must have a valid work visa or a green card so that the opportunities in the American job market become available to you.Mar 24, 2024

Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals may be appointed to competitive service Federal jobs. In rare cases, agencies may hire certain non-citizens when there are no qualified U.S. citizens available, unless the appointment is prohibited by statute.
I didn’t say anything about green card. Have I?

The HB3751 did not mention anything about green card. It states “individuals who are not citizens, but are legally authorized to work in the US under federal law”

Also, which part of the US government are you talking about? I know for certain that green card holders are not allowed to work in federal law enforcement

Old 04-03-2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
And that's fair, but I think it is farfetched to think that police departments would want to go through the H1B process for officers. It would be a circular problem since they would have to show that the individuals were already qualified for the position. In the case of a doctor, medicine works the same way in one country and another. But laws are different, so even if the potential H1B applicant is a police officer in his/her home country, it would be difficult for someone to demonstrate that the applicant is qualified. To that point, I agree with you. I wouldn't want to see the H1B process used for police officers for exactly that reason.

But that isn't what the OP was discussing. The OP was about DACA recipients and immigrants that are legal residents. I know the Democrats are trying to change the definition of legally present, but I think that is also a separate issue.
It doesn't matter if the individual/foreigner is qualified to work as a LEO in the United States. You don't find it strange that a foreigner, who has no ties to the US, can come here on a work visa to work as law enforcement officer who can take away your freedom or even your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies