Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:06 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Full retirement age for me is 70 but early is age 62 and regular Social Security age for me is 66 and 4 months. So if I were on SSDI I could collect extra SS money until age 66 and 4 months not until age 65? well they are cutting a little doing that. I did not know that.

That's your full retirement age. FRA is usually referring to when one can collect the full Social Security benefit without taking a deduction for collecting early. In your case that FRA is 66 and 4.

Quote:
When I called to apply for Social Security the man on the phone offered me to get disability SSDI and said if I choose to then he would call back at a later date. I am a percentage disabled but I do not get paid to be disabled. Yes you are correct it is much harder now as was before but now even harder to get. I think they offer it to put off paying it.
SSDI has always been difficult to collect. And there have always been those who scam the system. I can name several people in both of those categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:10 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
I forgot about that SSI is the supplemental. But I don't understand or even know why have both
Two different programs with different eligibility requirements.

SSDI eligibility is having a disability AND sufficient work credits.

SSI eligibility is age (65+) OR blindness (any age) OR disability (any age) and limited/no income and resources.

My brother (very disabled and never worked) received SSI. I was his power of attorney and had to handle all the government stuff and yearly redetermination and verifications.

This thread is regarding SSI.

Old Today, 01:06 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
SSDI is disability that any citizen can get if approved, even babies. From what I've heard it is often very hard to get and can often take years to be approved and people are typically denied several times and have to go through appeals before they're finally approved. I guess SSA is usually waiting for the person to die first.
SSDI is disability for those who worked enough credits. Babies would get SSI. SSI is for those who were not able to work enough to get the needed credits.

Old Today, 01:41 PM

23,468 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
SSDI is disability for those who worked enough credits. Babies would get SSI. SSI is for those who were not able to work enough to get the needed credits.
Yes, you're right. I was going by memory on some of what I'd posted about what my lawyer friend had said, and it's been decades since then. Most likely she was talking about SSI and I just forgot. But I do know a few that had to go on SSDI, and it seemed to take years for every one of them to be approved. One had tried for 5-6 years for SSDI before finally being approved, and he died about 5 months later from the aftereffects of the serious auto injuries he'd sustained, injuries that had caused him to file in the first place.

Old Today, 01:53 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
I forgot about that SSI is the supplemental. But I don't understand or even know why have both
Just so you know those who qualify can get both Medicare and Medicaid.

Old Today, 02:12 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
SSI (the topic of this thread) and SSDI are two different programs. A disabled relative of mine collects SSDI and the requirements and limitations have little to do with SSI which is a supplemental income program.
I am on SSDI and was offered SSI. It would have added $500 to my monthly income. I was then told that whatever SSI paid would be deducted from my SSDI. Since SSI would mess with my taxes and not net anything and anything that messes with SSDI is not good. I rejected it. Besides, SSI is a form of welfare and SSDI is me getting my paid in social security early, I prefer that. I don't think I'll be around all that much longer so it's best to get some SS while I can.

Old Today, 02:20 PM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Yes, you're right. I was going by memory on some of what I'd posted about what my lawyer friend had said, and it's been decades since then. Most likely she was talking about SSI and I just forgot. But I do know a few that had to go on SSDI, and it seemed to take years for every one of them to be approved. One had tried for 5-6 years for SSDI before finally being approved, and he died about 5 months later from the aftereffects of the serious auto injuries he'd sustained, injuries that had caused him to file in the first place.
It took me about 8 months to be approved. It happened on the first go around but I had plenty of doctor documentation so it was inevitable that it would be approved. I also hired a lawyer because it is so convoluted, and any wrong turn can set you back for years or permanently. Would I hire a lawyer now? No, I know the ins and outs. But he only charged 20% of the back pay (they pay you all the way back to when you officially were unable to work) so it was worth it.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

23,468 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It took me about 8 months to be approved. It happened on the first go around but I had plenty of doctor documentation so it was inevitable that it would be approved. I also hired a lawyer because it is so convoluted, and any wrong turn can set you back for years or permanently. Would I hire a lawyer now? No, I know the ins and outs. But he only charged 20% of the back pay (they pay you all the way back to when you officially were unable to work) so it was worth it.
You were lucky then. The friend of mine who'd died shortly after finally being approved had tons of documentation and a lawyer. He had had a good long-time job in the construction field, but had to stop due to his injuries. He'd tried to go back to work after the accident but every time he put his head down lower than his heart he'd pass out and his heart stopped a couple of those times, and they'd have to call the paramedics to revive him. His wife had a low pay job and she couldn't afford to support both of them on that pay, so she'd filed too (she only had one hand). She got on a couple of years faster than he did (and then did some side jobs to supplement it). I don't understand how she'd gotten it faster than he did since he was truly a physical mess. Most likely the odds of being approved depend on the luck of the draw, case worker/judge.

Old Today, 02:56 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
I was on SSI for many years and they kicked me off even though my medical problems were worse than when I was first put on. Every vocational expert has ruled out all jobs but I am denied any income.

Old Today, 03:10 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I am pretty familiar with Disability rules and reporting, including SSI. This is not the boondoggle many think it is. If you read it carefully it mostly changes the reporting requirements of SSI recipients which are very stringent as SSI is a Welfare program for the Disabled and poor aged. Now the first reaction is "damn it's welfare, why make it easier" but this is actually a policy that helps the SSA more than recipients. Anyone familiar with the Social Security Administration current state know that they are woefully under staff with a high turnover and are taken months to do even simple tasks and just try calling them and waiting hours for somebody to pick up the phone. The lesser reporting standards mean Workers will be less burdened by beauracracy and actually get more work done. Now i am concerned with the "expansion" phrasing since thats usually code to giving it to more people who may not currently qualify based on disability or poor/aged status.

For example of some ridiculous reporting requirements, if somebody on SSI gets 20 dollars from a relative for their Birthday they are required to report that to SSA which will count it as income which has to be evaluated to determine if an overpayment has occurred and if so an adjustment made to pay back that overpayment. And remember this all has to be done on a phone with hours wait times. Leaving someone on SSI to either break the rules and not reporting it or following the rules and causing increased work loads(and aggravation) for twenty bucks, likely costing the Government many times that just to process the reported 20 dollars. Oh and another waste to time, technically if you go out to lunch with somebody and they buy you a burger it's counted as In Kind Support which you must report and processed by somebody at SSA and would mean your next SSI payment could be adjusted for receiving that In Kind Support. All that paperwork for a burger.
SSI allows you to have a cash balance not to exceed $2,000. Every year you are required to submit redetermination papers and one section pertains to finances. You have to report balances in any financial accounts you have, and if deductions or other financial changes have been made since last reporting, you must submit documentation (ie if you bought shoes and pants paying from your bank account you must submit receipts as well as bank balances showing deductions for items purchased and current bank balance). You do not have to report clothing gifts, birthday presents, lunch or dinner paid for by others or similar. You do have to report any cash gifts which you deposited into your bank account which would be matched with bank statements (deposit slip and updated bank statement).

All financial information goes on the redetermination paperwork and is submitted once a year. There was never a need for me to phone them (and I watched the bank balances carefully to make sure they never came close to the 2K limit). I was power of attorney and did not want to screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies