Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:37 PM

73,065 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is just one demographic that dominates this stuff and it is an exceptionally small group doing an exceptionally vast amount of damage all out of proportion to their population numbers.

I can't think of a solution except that we have to go ballistic on criminals, build many more prisons, and warehouse many more of them for longer periods of time. Unless we can give them legal labotomies so they aren't capable of violence, I don't have a solution except to lock them up for longer. Left free on the streets, it is a trail of carnage and a river of blood.

The ideal solution is for these communities to be self-cleaning with raising future generations of children but is not actually possible because several generations of mothers have never been taught what to do and there are no fathers in the home anyway.

It is sad. It only gets worse from here.
Well, I'll just tell you this. It's always been this way. When Blacks were basically segregated and excluded from the rest of society, no one cared what kind of crime Black people were committing against other Black people. As long as the crime stayed on the Black side of town and no White people (especially White women) were involved, no one cared. In fact, some judges used to view it as "That's one less Black person we have to deal with". That is how Black on Black murder was viewed.

Why do I bring this up? Because Black murder rates have been quite high for a long time, as far back as the 1900s. If there was any time to have solutions to solve such issues, back then would have been the time. Not during the 1960s when riots broke out all over America.

By the time we went ballistic on criminals (in the 1970s and 1980s), it was too late. The only thing going ballistic on all criminals did was put alot of people in prison. It dropped the murder rate, for the time being. However, the Black murder rate still remained high. There is a certain subsegment of the population that is angry, nihilistic, and doesn't value life. Not even the death penalty has been able to scare some killers straight. Some killers don't care if they live or die, and do not care who they kill. Some individuals have murdered their own family members.

The way I see it, the time to have done something about this was the 1900s, the 1910s, the 1920s. By the time the 1960s came, it was too late. Black scholars were studying this stuff and sounding alarm bells. Look up Dr. E. Franklin Frazier. Look up Dr. W.E.B. Dubois. This was during the early to mid 20th century. When riots broke out in the 1960s, that tells me something. Anything that was being done, it was too little too late. Too many problems had been allowed to fester. Plenty of hatred and prejudice towards Blacks. But furthermore, an indifference.

I notice the time to care comes along when many feel the rest of society is being affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 05:52 AM

78,492 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I'll just tell you this. It's always been this way. When Blacks were basically segregated and excluded from the rest of society, no one cared what kind of crime Black people were committing against other Black people. As long as the crime stayed on the Black side of town and no White people (especially White women) were involved, no one cared.
It's still like that, or at least is\was in Chicago which I'm familiar with.

When there are a lot of murders in a year or high profile shootings then they roll out a peace march or a gathering of community leaders, blame guns and then wash their hands of the situation.

Meanwhile it's rarely white people or people in nicer neighborhoods getting shot. Mostly younger black and brown males involved in gangs.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:05 AM

29,531 posts, read 14,684,728 times
Quote:
That was in your town. There are some small cities (populations between 10,000 and 30,000) with high murder rates in states like Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia.

Selma, AL (population 17,023) has seen murder rates as high as 40 murders per 100,000 within the last 5 years. In 2016, Selma had a murder rate of 41 murders per 100,000.
And I'm willing to bet, the majority of small towns across our country do not have the violence like those you've mentioned.

There are suburbs that border some of the highly violent cities that have virtually no violence.

We all know where much of our problems are, the question is, how to we fix them ?

I noticed you never answered some of my questions in another thread , I think it was from the shooting in St. Louis.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And I'm willing to bet, the majority of small towns across our country do not have the violence like those you've mentioned.

There are suburbs that border some of the highly violent cities that have virtually no violence.

We all know where much of our problems are, the question is, how to we fix them ?

I noticed you never answered some of my questions in another thread , I think it was from the shooting in St. Louis.
I'm not talking about the majority of small towns across the country. My point is that this is not limited to the big cities.

To be honest,there are times that I wonder if said problems could ever get fixed without some sort of revolutionary force. I wonder if it is too little too late and we're just doing damage control at this point. I don't have many good answers that don't involve some sort of dictatorship (and I'm against dictatorships. I never suggest solutions that I wouldn't want to live with).

Old 04-26-2024, 11:52 AM

78,492 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the majority of small towns across the country. My point is that this is not limited to the big cities.

To be honest,there are times that I wonder if said problems could ever get fixed without some sort of revolutionary force. I wonder if it is too little too late and we're just doing damage control at this point. I don't have many good answers that don't involve some sort of dictatorship (and I'm against dictatorships. I never suggest solutions that I wouldn't want to live with).
I think we can definitely agree that it's not always a big city problem.

Sounds like Selma has some sort of gang war going on there lately....maybe some new group muscling in.

That said, there are small towns that have flare ups but when you get to the big cities that are really distressed like Philly and Chicago (in some parts), they reliably crank out a volume of murders and mass shootings.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's still like that, or at least is\was in Chicago which I'm familiar with.

When there are a lot of murders in a year or high profile shootings then they roll out a peace march or a gathering of community leaders, blame guns and then wash their hands of the situation.

Meanwhile it's rarely white people or people in nicer neighborhoods getting shot. Mostly younger black and brown males involved in gangs.
I've heard about that. The mentality is to basically let the violence stay in the bad areas. It's easier to do that than make sure ALL of Chicago is safe for everyone. The tourist areas and affluent areas get kept safe while poorer Black neighborhoods (and some impoverished Hispanic areas) get treated as sacrifice areas.

This mentality has existed for over 100+ years. Memphis was like this and Birmingham too. Black on Black violence took place at high levels as far back as the Jim Crow era. The attitude was that since no White people were involved, such incidents were not punished severely. Some of the judges saw it as "One less Black person to deal with". I think this set a pattern that lasts to this day.

Old 04-26-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:

It rare in smaller cities, and even more so in rural towns. It's a nightly occurrence in a large portion of our big cities though.

Old 04-26-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I've heard about that. The mentality is to basically let the violence stay in the bad areas. It's easier to do that than make sure ALL of Chicago is safe for everyone. The tourist areas and affluent areas get kept safe while poorer Black neighborhoods (and some impoverished Hispanic areas) get treated as sacrifice areas.

This mentality has existed for over 100+ years. Memphis was like this and Birmingham too. Black on Black violence took place at high levels as far back as the Jim Crow era. The attitude was that since no White people were involved, such incidents were not punished severely. Some of the judges saw it as "One less Black person to deal with". I think this set a pattern that lasts to this day.
And this has been proven to be a horrible plan. Thousands of innocents killed, hundreds of billions of dollars invested to help these impoverished areas, and here we are, decades later with the same issues.

And the more the rest of the country progresses, and see's violence trending down, the more it's going to highlight these areas and the decades of failed policies, responsible.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:47 PM

5,033 posts, read 7,236,747 times
Quote:

I'm not sure were you're your going...are you saying capital cases aren't being prosecuted because the crime is black on black? I don't think that's true at all. IF they're not being prosecuted, it's because of terrible liberal DAs (and City Councils) doing what the electorate want them to do. Birmingham is 68% black, Memphis is 61% black, the DAs are elected by the people who live there.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:05 AM

24,666 posts, read 9,487,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is just one demographic that dominates this stuff and it is an exceptionally small group doing an exceptionally vast amount of damage all out of proportion to their population numbers.

I can't think of a solution except that we have to go ballistic on criminals, build many more prisons, and warehouse many more of them for longer periods of time. Unless we can give them legal labotomies so they aren't capable of violence, I don't have a solution except to lock them up for longer. Left free on the streets, it is a trail of carnage and a river of blood.
First paragraph is spot on.

Second paragraph is more complex. First you need to bring back stop and frisk. Criminals can’t shoot up their neighborhood if you don’t give them a chance to shoot up their neighborhood. This will decrease the murder and gun violence.

Then we reform the welfare. Instead of rewarding families for kicking out the father, we need to start incentivizing the father to stay in the household. This will decrease the behavioral issues and risk for these kids choosing the thug life.

Will it end gun violence? No. Will it decrease it to a proportional level? Yes. You can’t arrest the problem, criminals procreate far more than you could ever hope to lock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies