Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It seems like common sense for a country to protect its own border, before extending aid to other countries. Our Congress clearly has their priority wrong.

I still need to look up who in the house and senate voted for the aid.
You can do both. Its a false connection.

However, the Republicans had a chance to prove that the Democrats cared more about letting illegals and all sorts of criminals into the country than in the fate of Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan. And they chose not to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

However, the Republicans had a chance to prove that the Democrats cared more about letting illegals and all sorts of criminals into the country than in the fate of Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan. And they chose not to do it.
How is it a false connection?

We currently are NOT securing our border. Yet we are sending billions of dollars to other countries to protect their border.

I don't think putting up a bill that funds other countries, should come before we secure our own border.

Old Today, 12:26 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Um no, the Democrats proved that they cared more about illegals than American citizens and the security of our own border by refusing to sign the House bill passed last year by the Republicans which was a much better bill than the crappy Senate one.

Old Today, 01:21 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
This is it in a nutshell. They have to majority in both houses to get what they are asking for. If that happens they are golden. If it does not we will continue on our current path. I will be the first to say the bill they nixed was far from perfect. It was really a bill to streamline the current border issue. We really need a complete overhaul of our immigration system. Having said this the bill that was nixed is better than what we have now. Like you stated a half of a loaf of bread is better than nothing at all. If Trump was in office right now they would have passed the same exact bill they nixed and would have called it a victory. My question is what happens if they don't get the majority in both houses. Will we get any bill passed or will we continue to say what til the next election.
I believe they need 2/3's in both houses, without support from both parties nothing will happen. Republicans in the house seem to have no interest in compromise and now some senators have joined in trashing Lankford and Britt's bill. Even Katie Britt is trashing the senate bill she put forward, this is all political. Even if the house bill passed it wasn't a perfect cure.

Old Today, 01:27 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I believe they need 2/3's in both houses, without support from both parties nothing will happen. Republicans in the house seem to have no interest in compromise and now some senators have joined in trashing Lankford and Britt's bill. Even Katie Britt is trashing the senate bill she put forward, this is all political. Even if the house bill passed it wasn't a perfect cure.
"a perfect cure"?

There is no such thing, and I don't know why you would even begin to think there could be.

But HR2 is much better than the trash bill that they had tried to pass.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
"a perfect cure"?

There is no such thing, and I don't know why you would even begin to think there could be.

But HR2 is much better than the trash bill that they had tried to pass.
Just made another attempt.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The U.S. House Saturday failed to pass a border security bill that Republican leadership intended as an incentive for conservatives to support a foreign aid package for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

The border bill, turned down on a 215-199 vote, was brought to the floor under a fast-track procedure known as suspension of the rules that requires a two-thirds majority for passage. The conservatives it was meant to appeal to slammed it as a “show vote.”During Friday’s floor debate, Democrats argued that the bill, H.R. 3602, was a rehash of H.R. 2, a bill House Republicans passed last year that would reinstate Trump-era immigration policies such as the construction of the border wall. Both bills would also require asylum seekers to remain in Mexico.

The bill is nearly identical to H.R. 2, but removes the mandate for employers to verify a worker’s immigration status and employment eligibility, and includes about $9 billion in grant programs for border states.

“Let’s take a step in the direction of fixing it and pass this legislation,” Jordan said of the southern border.
https://sourcenm.com/2024/04/22/u-s-...%20in%20Mexico.

Old Today, 01:39 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
The GOP establishment is easily bullied by the Democrats. They caved, as is usual. Only the House conservative caucus fights back but they are too few in number to control the House, so they get steamrolled by the establishment. The GOP establishment may have wanted more border security, but they are soft on that enforcement and it doesn't bother them in the least to see it violated. Only the conservative caucus is actually bothered by it.

That is the government we have today. We have passesd a tipping point on America's decline toward collapse, so what does it matter anyway, except that collapse will come sooner than later. It is still coming.

I also wonder how many politicians are just straight up blackmailed into voting certain ways. Our intelligence is rogue and probably has blackmail evidence on every member of Congress. Their only choice is to vote as order, or resign so as to be relaced with another who will vote as ordered.

I am not saying the above is true, I am just asking the question.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I thought DJT didn't want Congress to act on protecting the border? Has that been forgotten already?

Trump brags about efforts to stymie border talks: ‘Please blame it on me’

Are you intentionally spreading lies or are you just duped into believing lies?

The law did NOT protect the border in any way, shape or form. That is a bad-faced lie.

“As the leader of our party, there is zero chance I will support this horrible open borders betrayal of America,” Trump told his supporters on Saturday. “I’ll fight it all the way. A lot of the senators are trying to say, respectfully, they’re blaming it on me. I say, that’s okay. Please blame it on me. Please.”

“As I explained to him [Biden] in a letter late last year, and have specifically reiterated to him on multiple occasions since, he can and must take executive action immediately to reverse the catastrophe he has created,” Johnson said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...er-bill-fails/

Old Today, 02:17 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
From your link:

Yeas:

Republican - 210

Democratic - 5

Nays:

Republican - 0

Democratic - 199

Not voting:

Republican - 8

Democratic - 9

Democrats showing that they don't want to protect the border and are using the border as a wedge issue, right?

Old Today, 02:27 PM

4,512 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Why does some massive, corrupt spending bill need to get passed just so the government will agree to uphold existing laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies