Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 08:36 AM

89,300 posts, read 45,022,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As it should. I mean if the government is going to pay women to breed, they need to pay them well. Actually they need a raise. If FF workers deserve $20 dollars/hour the women providing future worker bees and voters should be making way more than that.
Not everyone works. And the highest unemployment rates are among the demographic groups most likely to be enrolled in public assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 08:39 AM

16,686 posts, read 8,686,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I cannot address this - because it’s delusional- and more American names ???? Just can’t …
Simple
People coming to America started to change their names, and also name their children American Anglicized names, to help to assimilate into our culture.
Thus, Seamus became James, Guiseppe became Joseph, etc.
Black folks named their children typical American names for the longest time as well. You will not find many names in the history books like Trayvon or Shaniqua which is trying to be Afro-centric, which is the opposite of assimilation.
Understand it now?

Old 05-08-2024, 09:32 AM

24,744 posts, read 9,544,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As it should. I mean if the government is going to pay women to breed, they need to pay them well. Actually they need a raise. If FF workers deserve $20 dollars/hour the women providing future worker bees and voters should be making way more than that.
This must be sarcasm. Poor single mothers already use welfare as a way off life

Paying them more is only going to create more single mothers. And more future criminals.

Why bother working? Just get pregnant 5 times, with no father around, and enjoy your passive income via US taxpayers as your kids become future menaces of society and repeat the process.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:00 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Simple
People coming to America started to change their names, and also name their children American Anglicized names, to help to assimilate into our culture.
Thus, Seamus became James, Guiseppe became Joseph, etc.
Black folks named their children typical American names for the longest time as well. You will not find many names in the history books like Trayvon or Shaniqua which is trying to be Afro-centric, which is the opposite of assimilation.
Understand it now?
People changed their names so they could be better understood. Many cut them short. Europeans, Germans, Italians etc. -it had to make sense with the English language of the time. Slaves had African names. They were “assigned” American or English names by the master. Families were separated, they had no choice in the matter. Slaves did not speak English until much later. And yes , many now trying to name their children what might have been a common African name to try to retrieve what was taken from them.

Subject. After Emancipation, many former slaves adopted new names and surnames. They did so either to take on a surname for the first time, or to replace a name or surname given to them by a former master.
The slave master who owned us put his last name on us to denote that we were his property. So when you see a negro today who’s named Johnson, if you go back in his history you will find that his grandfather, or one of his forefathers, was owned by a white man who was named Johnson
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_name

Old 05-08-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you fail to read that public assistance benefits stacking yields more than working a low-wage job? It's the kids that increase the amount of the benefits so yes, the government is paying poor women to breed.
Well now - there is little recourse if get pregnant, unfortunately, the numbers will rise. This is what they wanted.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:24 AM

89,300 posts, read 45,022,208 times
Quote:
Well now - there is little recourse if get pregnant, unfortunately, the numbers will rise. This is what they wanted.
So don't pay people to breed. ONE assistance program for a brief period of time just to help out? OK. But no stacking public assistance benefits that equate to a $45,000/year job.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:24 AM

16,686 posts, read 8,686,842 times
Quote:
People changed their names so they could be better understood. Many cut them short. Europeans, Germans, Italians etc. -it had to make sense with the English language of the time. Slaves had African names. They were “assigned” American or English names by the master. Families were separated, they had no choice in the matter. Slaves did not speak English until much later. And yes , many now trying to name their children what might have been a common African name to try to retrieve what was taken from them.

Subject. After Emancipation, many former slaves adopted new names and surnames. They did so either to take on a surname for the first time, or to replace a name or surname given to them by a former master.
The slave master who owned us put his last name on us to denote that we were his property. So when you see a negro today who’s named Johnson, if you go back in his history you will find that his grandfather, or one of his forefathers, was owned by a white man who was named Johnson
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_name
First of all, never quote/link Wiki as it is the tool of the lazy/ignorant and is trash/unreliable. You diminish your credibility when you do.

As to your "choice" comment, I am not going back to the days of slavery, however when blacks were naming their children and they didn't know what their last names were, many adopted the last names of former presidents.
They could also change their last name as many Jews have done back in the day.
Regardless, most blacks were giving their kids normal American 1st names be it John, Jim, Joe, Mary, etc.
It has only been in more recent times that there has been a push to go with names that sound afro-centric.
Again, that is the opposite of assimilation, just as incorrectly describing themselves as Hyphenated-Americans.
That was considered an insult to call someone a hyphenated-American as it implied they were not as American as a native-born person. It also implied an allegiance to whatever country/ethnic name was inserted before American.

Also, many an actual African have said many of these black Americans have no clue, as the names they are choosing are not anything they have ever heard of in Africa.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, never quote/link Wiki as it is the tool of the lazy/ignorant and is trash/unreliable. You diminish your credibility when you do.

As to your "choice" comment, I am not going back to the days of slavery, however when blacks were naming their children and they didn't know what their last names were, many adopted the last names of former presidents.
They could also change their last name as many Jews have done back in the day.
Regardless, most blacks were giving their kids normal American 1st names be it John, Jim, Joe, Mary, etc.
It has only been in more recent times that there has been a push to go with names that sound afro-centric.
Again, that is the opposite of assimilation, just as incorrectly describing themselves as Hyphenated-Americans.
That was considered an insult to call someone a hyphenated-American as it implied they were not as American as a native-born person. It also implied an allegiance to whatever country/ethnic name was inserted before American.

Also, many an actual African have said many of these black Americans have no clue, as the names they are choosing are not anything they have ever heard of in Africa.
There’s plenty of other accounts of slaves and their names . Wiki was the last one with the easier quote to copy. The facts are, once emancipated, they used any name of choosing.
Assimilation is partial to some no matter how many generations are born state side. As far as the welfare system- in our lifetime, education and proper schooling was not afforded to everyone. Even today - the internet is not available everywhere
Having kids before can afford them is a life long problem if you don’t have a support system and avenues to continue study and training for jobs. With out it, it’s just a cycle.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:59 AM

36,672 posts, read 30,985,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This must be sarcasm. Poor single mothers already use welfare as a way off life

Paying them more is only going to create more single mothers. And more future criminals.

Why bother working? Just get pregnant 5 times, with no father around, and enjoy your passive income via US taxpayers as your kids become future menaces of society and repeat the process.
Yes of course it is sarcasm.
So what came first the chicken or the egg?
Was welfare established due to poverty created by single parenthood (this includes being widowed, divorced or abandoned) or did the establishment of welfare cause poverty and single parenthood?

I have never been on welfare but I became a single parent when my kids were under six. Soon after I lost my job. I decided to go back to school. I worked 2 part-time jobs but we were still poor. I didnt get much sleep and missed out on time with my kids. My kids missed out on having a father. It is not a good life. I cant imagine many women would intentionally have 5 kids for the sole purpose of a few food stamps, a crappy housing project apartment, and a few hundred dollars a month in cash.

But I certainly see your point. Looking back I wonder if I should have signed up for welfare. I most probably would have come out the same or better financially without having to lose so much sleep working nights and weekends and I could have spent more time being with my kids, more rested and more attentive. Quality parenting time vs. $$$. Which supports a better outcome for children. Being present with them or being able to afford opportunities for their future?

Old 05-08-2024, 07:26 PM

15,572 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So don't pay people to breed. ONE assistance program for a brief period of time just to help out? OK. But no stacking public assistance benefits that equate to a $45,000/year job.
That doesn't happen, especially in states like Texas that treat the poor like garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies