Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:34 AM

59,225 posts, read 27,416,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Thank you for mentioning the cycle of American workers being less and less able to afford anything other than the cheaper items made abroad. Another thing to consider is that if you are willing to pay more for goods, often times you’ll find superior quality from other countries. Too many times the things that are still made in America are made with inferior materials to try and make the cost somewhat competitive, or the company will take advantage of having a recognizable name to try and justify a price.
"often times you’ll find superior quality from other countries. Too many times the things that are still made in America are made with inferior materials to try and make the cost somewhat competitive, or the company will take advantage of having a recognizable name to try and justify a price"

You make claims, you have to back them up.

And just the opposite.

Look at how the "pillow guy" has been trashed just becalms he is a Christian and a repub even though he has superior products.

Want more?

Always private

All regions
Safe search: moderate
Any time

Shopping for list of quality products made in Ameroca

Always Pan 2.0 From Our Place In Lavender | Nonst…$110.00$150.00

Our Place

Foundation Support 3/4 Length Orthotics$44.95

American Quality H…

Eco-Friendly Foaming Hand Soap Duo Slate / 10 / C…$44.00

Blueland

American Standard TU105.507 Studio S Shower Only Tri…$325.65

Build

Biolage Color Last Conditioner | Color Safe Conditioner |…$42.00

Amazon.com

American Made Grills 24" Outdoor Rated Dual Zon…$2,755.00

BBQGuys

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (16 GB) - Now With A Large…$149.99

Amazon.com

Biolage Volume Bloom Conditioner | Volumizing Condit…$42.00

Amazon.com

American Made Grills 6.6C Deluxe Outdoor Rated …$3,595.00

BBQGuys

ALURAM Coconut Water Based Daily Conditioner For…$20.00

Amazon.com

American Made Grills 6.6C Deluxe Outdoor Rated Si…$3,360.00

BBQGuys

Freshscent 0.5 Oz Bar Soap [100 Pack] Hotel Travel Size, …$17.95

Amazon.com

True Classic Tees Men's Black Comfort Chino Pants Size 36$59.99

True Classic

American Made Grills 15" Outdoor Rated Wine Cool…$1,805.00

BBQGuys

American Made Grills 15" Outdoor Rated Fridge W/ S…$1,805.00

BBQGuys

Amazon Kindle - The Lightest And Most Compact Ki…$99.99

Amazon.com

AHAVA Dead Sea Water Mineral Body Lotion - Daily Moi…$74.00

Amazon.com

Glytone Daily Body Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 15 -…$62.00

Amazon.com

More Products

More Products

Are these ads helpful?YesNo
  1. bullhidebelts.com
    Report Ad

Leather Belts Made In The USA | All Proudly Made In America
<li data-layout="ad" class="EcE0RD8NCNGe61Kp815G">Quality Belts, Premium Cell Holsters, Exotic Wallets, & More! All Proudly Made In America. We Offer High-Quality Handmade Leather Goods Made From Real Full-Grain Leather.

<li data-layout="organic" class="wLL07_0Xnd1QZpzpfR4W">https://madeintheusamatters.com

Made in the USA Matters | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...

American Made Garden Boots & Shoes for Men, Women, and Children When it comes to garden footwear, nothing beats the quality and craftsmanship of gardening shoes made in the USA. These American-made garden shoes and boots are durable, comfortable, and support jobs for American workers.

• Product Spotlights

Product Spotlights - Made in the USA Matters | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...
  • Purely Patriotic

Americana Cookware & Bakeware Made in the USA As I was creating lists for American made cookware and bakeware, tableware, kitchen utensils, and grilling tools, I came across a few things that were especially patriotic and couldn't resist making a list of Americana cookware made in the USA. It isn't Continue Reading
  • About

I needed to record my list of made in the USA brands and products and then share my list, my resources, and my joy when I successfully found another American made product. I officially abandoned the mommy blog that I wasn't that excited about anyway, my personal crafting time, let my garden grow too many weeds, and reorganized my desk.
  • Automotive

Automotive - Made in the USA Matters | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...
  • Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories

Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories - Made in the USA Matters | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...
  • Farm & Ranch

Farm & Ranch - Made in the USA Matters | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...
<li data-layout="images" class="L6fj2A3X2mfJl5kE8caF">

<li data-layout="images" class="L6fj2A3X2mfJl5kE8caF">Images for list of quality products made in Ameroca

More Images

<li data-layout="organic" class="wLL07_0Xnd1QZpzpfR4W">https://madeintheusamatters.com › american-made-products

Products Made in the USA | The GREAT American Made Brands & Products ...

Jun 29, 2022Our mission at MADEINTHEUSAMATTERS.COM is to connect American consumers with brands and products MADE IN THE USA. Our searchable, browsable, directory of goods manufactured in the United States is categorized to help you find USA-made products quickly and easily because there are 50 Reasons it Matters to BUY AMERICAN.

<li data-layout="organic" class="wLL07_0Xnd1QZpzpfR4W">https://clark.com › shopping-retail › american-made-in-the-usa

Here Are 100+ Brands That Are Made in the USA - Clark.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:43 AM

59,225 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We don't agree on much, but this is 100% correct.

There's another factor amplifying what you describe here: The dwindling talent pool. If you put 100 young people in entry level positions, you'll find 40 underachievers, 40 pretty food ones, 15 very good ones, 4 masters and 1 rock star. (I made those numbers up, it's the idea.) If you send 90 of the entry level positions to Bangalore, your chances of finding those rare local talents drops accordingly.
"The dwindling talent pool."

Way too many push their kids to go to college where they do NOT belong.

Old Today, 08:23 AM

5,036 posts, read 7,240,634 times
EPA regulations had a hand in the outsourcing debacle. Why manufacture in a country with strict environmental laws when a company can set up in a country that doesn't have any? Heaven help us if America ever has to step up to a manufacturing level of even half of what it was during WW2.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-war/war-production

Old Today, 09:00 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Yesterday, I had an argument with a couple of co-workers on why companies like Motorola outsourced their manufacturing jobs from the US to abroad, as well as why companies also keep hiring foreigners over Americans.

My argument is because the companies want the cheaper labor and in this day and age, the American worker needs a good salary to make ends meet. Companies can either hire foreigners on an H1B1 work visa where they also get government assistance with housing and food so they don't have to work for as high a wage, and the companies who moved out of the country did it due to cheaper labor costs, cheaper taxes and regulations.

The 2 co-workers, one from Vietnam, the other from Guatemala, say that the companies are doing this because foreign workers work harder and more efficient than their American born counterparts, and that also the labor unions also hurt the American worker. The guy from Guatemala says that he was working for a machine shop in another company when it decided to close up shop and move it's plants to Spain, where the workers are more efficient. I looked into this and the reports I seen says it's because the cost of living, taxes and regulations are 200 percent less than the US, but the guy keeps saying it doesn't matter when the American worker is mostly lazy and doesn't care about what they do. He says it's why service jobs are taking a hit too since people don't care about the customer anymore and are more into socializing on their phones or office romance.

So, are companies choosing non-American workers due to the cheaper labor, or because the workmanship is far superior?
Cheaper labor

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Today, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
EPA regulations had a hand in the outsourcing debacle. Why manufacture in a country with strict environmental laws when a company can set up in a country that doesn't have any? Heaven help us if America ever has to step up to a manufacturing level of even half of what it was during WW2.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-war/war-production
You're right, we really need more Superfund sites in the nation

I don't know about you, but I can actually drink and bathe in my tap water

Old Today, 09:24 AM

5,036 posts, read 7,240,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're right, we really need more Superfund sites in the nation

I don't know about you, but I can actually drink and bathe in my tap water

So it's all right for other countries to ruin their environment so we can get our cheap junk? Got it.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

15,514 posts, read 7,546,110 times
The main reasons for jobs going overseas are labor costs and internet connectivity that is essentially free.

A new hire accounting graduate in the US is paid about $70k plus benefits in the oil industry. The same new hire in South America, Hungary, Asia, etc will make $12k per year and benefits are lower. Why would you hire many Americans given the cost differential?

Old Today, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So it's all right for other countries to ruin their environment so we can get our cheap junk? Got it.
It's not ok, but those countries should be implementing the same standards that the US has when it comes to environmental protection.

Old Today, 11:13 AM

34,087 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Quote:
Its none of our business if they choose to do so, unless they border our land and pollute it also. Last I checked, only two nations share a border with ours.

If Asia wants to trade commerce for pollution, that is their decision.

Old Today, 12:14 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The dwindling talent pool."

Way too many push their kids to go to college where they do NOT belong.
I'm afraid you may have misunderstood me. I'm not talking about college, but about entry-level jobs. They've mostly moved away, the idea being that simpler tasks can be done off-shore. Which is to a large extent true. But entry-level positions don't just benefit companies because of the work done, they allow companies to find and groom talent. Fewer entry level positions means a smaller pool to identify from.

There's a reason IT departments in the corporate world are loaded up with people from India now. They were given that first job, and they sank or swum. Right now, the prize is a Green Card. But eventually, they'll decide it's more fun to be a rich Indian in India than middle-class in the US, and the IT fortunes will be made over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies