Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 01:32 PM

43,241 posts, read 18,385,032 times

Advertisements

They are putting themselves out of business...slowly.

I was in a restaurant recently for breakfast and they wanted $5 for a small glass of chocolate milk.
I passed and just drank water.

My Chinese restaurant jacked all their prices up 30%.....and the portions shrunk so I haven't been back.

I realize it's not just wages but inflation and higher taxes only add to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 01:40 PM

8,274 posts, read 3,519,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Uh, no.

Covid was 4 years ago, and that was when the govt was paying people to stay home so restaurants, like most businesses, had trouble finding workers. Not anymore.

Do you watch the news much?

Restaurants aren't complaining about not finding workers anymore. They complaining about the astronomical increase in their operating costs, specifically food costs, insurance, rent and especially labor. $20 per hour minimum in CA now.

For businesses like restaurants that operate on thin margins, around 3%, the increased costs are what is killing them.
They still claim that no one wants to work.

It's such a joy (not) to be buying something and having the manager checking me out (because there are no cashiers) and commenting that no one wants to work when she was one of the ones who denied me employment for years. It takes every ounce of my being not to punch the liars in the face. They stand there lying about me and insulting me at the same time while I am a customer. I hate their souls.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 29,497,078 times
I can tell you this: I'm highly qualified for a server job and I cannot get hired. I don't understand it so there's that..

Old 05-04-2024, 01:52 PM

43,241 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I can tell you this: I'm highly qualified for a server job and I cannot get hired. I don't understand it so there's that..
The immigrants are getting all the jobs.
That was all over the news at the beginning of this year.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 812,210 times
Would you go to a restaurant where the prices were 20 to 25% higher than other restaurants but had a strict no tipping policy?

Old 05-04-2024, 03:16 PM

17,288 posts, read 15,491,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Would you go to a restaurant where the prices were 20 to 25% higher than other restaurants but had a strict no tipping policy?
Yes. In a heartbeat.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Ichiran Ramen in NYC is a fine example of this.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:18 PM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Entry level restaurant work is not supposed to be a career to support a family. It is a stepping stone or second job. Stop with the "living wage" lie and nonsense and take some economics and finance courses.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:23 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Restaurants across the country continue to close and they always use the excuse, "Nobody wants to work - we can't find workers!" Why do many on the right say, "Nobody wants to work!" When they are the ones who always say, "Can't support yourself on a waiter job forever, you have to move on up!"

Restaurants that are closing is their fault - they either have very low pay or treat their workers like dirt. The concept of everyone having to prop them up during Covid with takeout was ridiculous but I guess understandable ("We're family!"). Now they are pulling that "Nobody wants to work" BS.

Restaurants in non-tipping countries don't seem to have a problem paying their workers a living wage.

The American restaurant industry has built itself on saving money with subsidizing wages with tips and the bubble is bursting.
I've never liked tipping because we are indeed subsidizing their wages that way instead of their employers paying them more. I'd rather pay more for a meal than to have to do the above.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:28 PM

1,713 posts, read 812,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I've never liked tipping because we are indeed subsidizing their wages that way instead of their employers paying them more. I'd rather pay more for a meal than to have to do the above.
So why don't more restaurants do this?

This way you do have to pay tax on the increased price of the meal whereas the tip is tax (on you) free.

Old 05-04-2024, 04:22 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,769,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Restaurants across the country continue to close and they always use the excuse, "Nobody wants to work - we can't find workers!" Why do many on the right say, "Nobody wants to work!" When they are the ones who always say, "Can't support yourself on a waiter job forever, you have to move on up!"

Restaurants that are closing is their fault - they either have very low pay or treat their workers like dirt. The concept of everyone having to prop them up during Covid with takeout was ridiculous but I guess understandable ("We're family!"). Now they are pulling that "Nobody wants to work" BS.

Restaurants in non-tipping countries don't seem to have a problem paying their workers a living wage.

The American restaurant industry has built itself on saving money with subsidizing wages with tips and the bubble is bursting.
You do understand that the wage problem is not created by employers. It is created by a government, the only government on the planet, they can just print money out of thin air and drive up inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies