Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 04:29 PM

20,134 posts, read 20,929,615 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if it’s cause-effect, generational, tiktok, or whatever, but as someone who was in the entertainment business for many years I’ve definitely noticed the quality of servers has greatly diminished. I find the attentive, bubbly and friendly server to be few and far between these days. They have this attitude like they can’t be bothered and the look on their face screams it’s killing them inside to force what little friendliness out of them.
I’ll tip extremely generously for a good server, the mutts get the bare minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 04:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 859,898 times
some of the tipped people make pretty good wages, couple hundred for couple hours

Old 05-04-2024, 05:00 PM

9,185 posts, read 6,361,905 times
Meh! Restaurant food is always more expensive than grocery store food. I've structured my life to depend on the grocery / distribution end of the food supply chain rather than the service end making restaurants completely irrelevant to me.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:08 PM

6,176 posts, read 3,388,775 times
It’s a very simple equation for me.

I like to eat out, and would like to do so many times each and every week.

But I don’t think it’s a good value when you add everything up, and the tip is part of the overall cost.

When I am in the US, I rarely eat out. Not because I don’t like the service, because I don’t think the overall experience is worth the price.

So what does the government do to help struggling restaurants? They make it even more expensive for the perspective customer. No thanks

Old 05-04-2024, 06:06 PM

78,576 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Restaurants across the country continue to close and they always use the excuse, "Nobody wants to work - we can't find workers!" Why do many on the right say, "Nobody wants to work!" When they are the ones who always say, "Can't support yourself on a waiter job forever, you have to move on up!"

Restaurants that are closing is their fault - they either have very low pay or treat their workers like dirt. The concept of everyone having to prop them up during Covid with takeout was ridiculous but I guess understandable ("We're family!"). Now they are pulling that "Nobody wants to work" BS.

Restaurants in non-tipping countries don't seem to have a problem paying their workers a living wage.

The American restaurant industry has built itself on saving money with subsidizing wages with tips and the bubble is bursting.
Shouldn't they learn to code?

The message for the last generation whose jobs got offshored seemed to be that bettering oneself and getting further education was the key. Now it's a demand that you be paid well, and that everyone has to change for you.

Unlike you, I'm not unsympathetic to certain types of people, but times change and life can be hard some times.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:10 PM

14,366 posts, read 11,763,754 times
I am so tired of all the complaining about tipping and server wages. I would rather tip 20% than have the food prices go up 20% to pay the servers a "living wage," whatever that means. At least I know the tip, which I leave in cash, is going directly to the server.

It is also the case that I live in California where servers don't make the federal minimum to begin with. In fact, few servers anywhere do.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:35 AM

59,274 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:
Restaurants across the country continue to close and they always use the excuse, "Nobody wants to work - we can't find workers!" Why do many on the right say, "Nobody wants to work!" When they are the ones who always say, "Can't support yourself on a waiter job forever, you have to move on up!"

Restaurants that are closing is their fault - they either have very low pay or treat their workers like dirt. The concept of everyone having to prop them up during Covid with takeout was ridiculous but I guess understandable ("We're family!"). Now they are pulling that "Nobody wants to work" BS.

Restaurants in non-tipping countries don't seem to have a problem paying their workers a living wage.

The American restaurant industry has built itself on saving money with subsidizing wages with tips and the bubble is bursting.
Open your OWN Restaurant and do what you want!

"put up or shut up", as they say!

"Restaurants across the country continue to close"

HMM, we are getting more and more opening all the time.

"Restaurants that are closing is their fault - they either have very low pay or treat their workers like dirt"

I notice you did NOT include bad tasting food, limited menu, bad location,prices to hirgh, etc., etc., etc,

How many of those that closed did you PERSONALLY talk to about why they closed?

I think you are pulling your claims out of your arse!

It is my OPINION that those that are closing are in places that have changed over the years and the decent citizens are moving out along with everybody else.

Just for the record, how many have you had?

Old 05-05-2024, 08:44 AM

59,274 posts, read 27,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
We have plenty of restaurants around here that claim "can't find workers." I'd attach a sign at one if it helped you understand, but it's true nonetheless. HOWEVER - plenty of OTHER restaurants around here have PLENTY of employees.

So I see your point - kinda - but it's related to the truth everywhere - if you "provide" a hostile place to work, with few perks, bad treatment, and low pay, while alternative employment is available in the same region - then it will indeed appear to you that "no one wants to work." The caveat is unstated..." ..... For YOU." And that is sometimes true.

Maybe you pay the same but treat folks awful. Maybe you pay less and have greater expectations. Maybe your menu is low-priced - so the tips are low too - so even if you're a great guy, and I'm a server - I'd rather work where tips are good. And so on. Many, many reasons why "no one wants to work" - but my fave restaurants are fully staffed, and that is nation-wide. I travel a ton - and no "good" restaurant is understaffed anymore.

Re: restaurants somewhere else. Apples and Oranges. Service in those countries is farrrr less....attentive. A restaurant there can probably get by with 4 servers instead of 12. They serve at their own pace - not that of the clients. Menu? Drinks? Food? Tab? Change? At their convenience. Not yours. Not judging. Just saying - this is how they can pay staff more. They have way less staff, because folks eat waaaaaaaaaay slower.
"if you "provide" a hostile place to work," Like all the crime now happening in may of our cities.

Who would want to work there?

Old 05-05-2024, 09:11 AM

37,502 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Entry level restaurant work is not supposed to be a career to support a family.
Who cares?

In my area, anyone who holds a Minimum Wage job can afford an apartment. Apartments go for one-quarter of Minimum Wage [including heat and utilities].

Old 05-05-2024, 09:18 AM

24,713 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Then the burger flippers of this country are free to move there.

I used to flip burgers, and it was a great job to motivate me to better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies