Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 01:22 PM

4,656 posts, read 3,866,421 times

Advertisements

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted the Swiss Army Champ model - it had everything! I'm surprised to read this story, although with all the dumb regulations needed due to stupid people, I understand at times and other times it's ridiculous. I guess this would make it easier to carry for people who actually do use the other tool functions of the "knife" like for cyclists, or on the job or on the plane.

The maker of the Swiss Army Knife is working on a new version of the classic multi-tool, which won’t have a blade.

“We are in the early stages of developing pocket tools without blades,” a spokesperson for Swiss firm Victorinox told CNN in a statement Tuesday, adding that they will compliment the existing range of multi-tools rather than replacing them.

“With innovation at the core of our brand, we are constantly listening to our consumers and their needs; and acknowledge that there is an appetite for the functionality, versatility, and craftsmanship the Swiss Army Knife is known for in more specialized fields and situations,” said the spokesperson.

The new Swiss Army Knife will be missing a key feature
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/busin...ntl/index.html

Old 05-07-2024, 01:24 PM

29,906 posts, read 14,954,725 times
Wait, what ? Pocket knives are bad now ?

Old 05-07-2024, 01:24 PM

51,531 posts, read 37,195,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted the Swiss Army Champ model - it had everything! I'm surprised to read this story, although with all the dumb regulations needed due to stupid people, I understand at times and other times it's ridiculous. I guess this would make it easier to carry for people who actually do use the other tool functions of the "knife" like for cyclists, or on the job or on the plane.

The maker of the Swiss Army Knife is working on a new version of the classic multi-tool, which won’t have a blade.

“We are in the early stages of developing pocket tools without blades,” a spokesperson for Swiss firm Victorinox told CNN in a statement Tuesday, adding that they will compliment the existing range of multi-tools rather than replacing them.

“With innovation at the core of our brand, we are constantly listening to our consumers and their needs; and acknowledge that there is an appetite for the functionality, versatility, and craftsmanship the Swiss Army Knife is known for in more specialized fields and situations,” said the spokesperson.

The new Swiss Army Knife will be missing a key feature
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/07/busin...ntl/index.html
The article says it’s for sales in countries with strict laws regarding knives, such as England and some Asian countries. They aren’t going to stop making the one with the knife though:

“…adding that they will compliment the existing range of multi-tools rather than replacing them.“

I don’t see the controversy. It sounds like they’re making it to expand their market to countries where it wasn’t easy to sell the model with the knife.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:28 PM

53,563 posts, read 35,279,208 times
bladeless pocket knives

Old 05-07-2024, 01:33 PM

7,674 posts, read 3,759,613 times
knives can be very dangerous. They are not toys you know. I am all for regulating said pocket knives and banning them federally. There is no need to carry a knife on you anyway. speaking of knives, I think they should also be banned in food service applications, unless someone is highly qualified to operate a knife. many prisons and mental health facilities have already banned knives in the conventional sense and use ones made out of biodegradable cardboard, which helps prevent any unauthorized or dangerous use.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:36 PM

79,264 posts, read 61,361,367 times
You'll poke your eye out kid....ho ho ho....

Old 05-07-2024, 01:39 PM

8,439 posts, read 4,630,369 times
"early stages of development".

Unscrew one end and remove the blade. Put a spacer in and re-screw it down.

End of development.

Oh, step 3: sell to woke countries.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:47 PM

31,407 posts, read 22,390,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Ladders, are the new pocket knives! 500,000 injuries a year and 300 confirmed deaths (probably much more).

https://www.lednorhome.com/the-most-...ard-equipment/

Old 05-07-2024, 01:52 PM

16,870 posts, read 8,827,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I am surprised the government and sheelpe who elected them aren't outlawing butter knives.

Since I was a kid, I always had a pocketknife as it comes in handy for so many things. Anyone who fishes knows that.
Getting a Swiss Army knife as a gift was great, because you had so many useful tools in one small knife. Eventually I got a Leatherman Tool which had the retractable pliers along with other useful tools, and yes it had a blade about the size of my little finger.

For anyone to think such a knife is a weapon much live in a bubble, and have never needed to cut anything, including fruit for themselves.

Old 05-07-2024, 01:54 PM

29,906 posts, read 14,954,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Ladders, are the new pocket knives! 500,000 injuries a year and 300 confirmed deaths (probably much more).

https://www.lednorhome.com/the-most-...ard-equipment/
Were those just regular ladders or assault ladders ? Know one needs an assault ladder, they should be banned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies