Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

52,371 posts, read 52,836,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I have no idea why you would want to broadcast and advertise your personal business. But whatever floats your boat. I'm assuming the reasoning is to get some sort of brownie points from a certain segment of the populace. Most people don't give a damn one way or the other, though. You'd probably get more attention and awe if you wore an "I drive a Lamborghini" tee shirt.
I think young people regardless of sexual orientation and in the modern age with social media and influencers has sort of brought out the narcissism in people. Everyone wants to be special, hence this insane push to be part of an identity group. Add in victimhood idolization we see now and so many want to be part of the oppressed class, as that has cachet these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,704,630 times
Quote:
I have no idea why you would want to broadcast and advertise your personal business. But whatever floats your boat. I'm assuming the reasoning is to get some sort of brownie points from a certain segment of the populace. Most people don't give a damn one way or the other, though. You'd probably get more attention and awe if you wore an "I drive a Lamborghini" tee shirt.
Lol. Or actually drive a Lamborghini

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

11,785 posts, read 6,149,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think young people regardless of sexual orientation and in the modern age with social media and influencers has sort of brought out the narcissism in people. Everyone wants to be special, hence this insane push to be part of an identity group. Add in victimhood idolization we see now and so many want to be part of the oppressed class, as that has cachet these days.
I agree with the above but I also think there is a push for us all to be Balkanized into separate tribes.

Instead of "E Pluribus Unum" where we primarily feel connected to our fellow Americans as was historically the case, today people want to embrace their close-knit subculture over their status as Americans. People are being encouraged to identify with their chosen subculture over seeing their common bond with other Americans.

So it is not longer "I am an American and I happen to be gay", it is "I am a lesbian". The tribe is more important than our common bond.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

29,626 posts, read 16,611,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I’m arguing that the experience described here, that somehow gay people are under constant attack and physical violence (and in need of Democrat politicians to protect them and retail stores to coddle them), is not characteristic of the experience most gay people.
What do you mean "retail" stores to Coddle them" ????

We sell merch for everything, we are capitalist and believe in consumerism.

As for the personal experience of each person, its just that. No one claims you experience every single "ism" every single day. You are being purposefully obtuse.

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yes, mine too, from the gay folks I've known. Again, things aren't perfect but gays largely seem ok.
What does that have to do with selling merch ?

No one said said people don't live on regardless, LOL

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

10,260 posts, read 6,350,240 times
Quote:
March 17th I wear my Green Erin Go Braugh shirt. See a lot of others wearing the Green and green aisles in all the stores. Can't have that. Be AMERICAN!

Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

17,367 posts, read 12,321,062 times
LGBT community had a couple hundred years of largely keeping their identities hidden in this country. Didn’t work out so well for them. Stonewall and the Pride movement showed they had to be loud to get fair treatment.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

6,876 posts, read 9,409,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What do you mean "retail" stores to Coddle them" ????

We sell merch for everything, we are capitalist and believe in consumerism.

As for the personal experience of each person, its just that. No one claims you experience every single "ism" every single day. You are being purposefully obtuse.
Some folks are upset because of Target’s decision to carry this merchandise in a limited number of stores this year instead of every store. These are the people that look for acceptance everywhere and want to see themselves represented everywhere. So they apparently need to be coddled by retail stores in order to feel good about themselves.

I’ve never understood this representation thing, in terms of “ZOMG I MUST SEE T-SHIRTS WITH CRUDE SAYINGS ABOUT BEING GAY IN ORDER TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF AND REPRESENTED.”

Same for crap like “the first gay transportation secretary” — as though somehow Pete Buttigieg should be motivating to me, or make me feel good?

Anyway, I know folks tend to thrive on this stuff, and they are usually the the types that I mentioned above.

And I still think it’s funny that Target decided to not put this merchandise front and center in every store, even though last year I believe the CEO tried to make Target out to be the victim, because apparently employees were threatened (never saw any proof of that).

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Some folks are upset because of Target’s decision to carry this merchandise in a limited number of stores this year instead of every store. These are the people that look for acceptance everywhere and want to see themselves represented everywhere. So they apparently need to be coddled by retail stores in order to feel good about themselves.

I’ve never understood this representation thing, in terms of “ZOMG I MUST SEE T-SHIRTS WITH CRUDE SAYINGS ABOUT BEING GAY IN ORDER TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF AND REPRESENTED.”

Same for crap like “the first gay transportation secretary” — as though somehow Pete Buttigieg should be motivating to me, or make me feel good?

Anyway, I know folks tend to thrive on this stuff, and they are usually the the types that I mentioned above.

And I still think it’s funny that Target decided to not put this merchandise front and center in every store, even though last year I believe the CEO tried to make Target out to be the victim, because apparently employees were threatened (never saw any proof of that).
Nothing you mentioned is people saying they need to be coddled. Customers ask for companies to carry merchandise all the time, retail companies even send out customer surveys in the hopes that customers tell them what they want more of.

I think yall are taking this far more out of proportion than the people you claim to dislike. As a southerner, I know for a fact my target didn't even start carrying pride merch until 2019. My point in saying that is that the environment to even carry pride merch outside of major cities is a VERY new thing. So these arguments people like you are making exist in the smallest of vacuums.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

10,569 posts, read 4,092,325 times
I was in Spencers today looking for a birthday gift, and it's like the whole store got taken over by the Pride parade. And oh, it was empty as hell too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies