Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,995,037 times

Advertisements

I think it's probably going to help stabilize Baghdad if the troops are actually left in the neighborhoods to keep purged militants out, instead of clearing them out as in the past just to have them move back in and cause more trouble...But.. I think the problems in Iraq are far more unresolvable than what America can handle. The Shiites and Sunnis hate each other and the Sunnis are the ones who had power under Saddam. There's some retaliation going on.
I think the problem lies in how we fight wars. America wins quickly when we go in with superior firepower, air power and use our resources wisely. We conquered Afghanistan when we decided to invade which even the Soviet Union which borders Afghanistan couldn't do - and it's a landlocked country halfway around the world. We conquered Iraq in days, which no one expected. But...then we tried to nation-build in both countries and treated them like Japan and Germany after World War II. These are not countries with histories of organized societies and western organization does not work in Arab and Islamic countries. We've refused to acknowledge that they are primitive societies that operate with a strongman or fall into chaos. We need to go back to fighting wars to win, which we will. No one can defeat America on the battlefield or at sea, or in the skies. But, we can't change the mentalities of the Arabs/Iraqis or the Afghans (though to be fair to the Afghans, they've come along better than the richer Iraqis). Western style democracy does not work for Islamic countries. That's evident everywhere.
Let's stop occupying nations we go to war with, fight them to win if necessary, stop putting our money into them after we defeat them, and go home. If we had operated under this reality in 2003 we'd have saved a half trillion dollars from our deficit and our economy would likely not be in as bad shape as it is now, not to mention we'd have thousands of Americans alive at home with their families.
No nation can rebuild another except under very unique circumstances. Not even America. However, no nation can so totally overwhelm and defeat a nation like America can if we choose war. Any country that provokes America to war is a foolish country seeking suicide. I think though that there is recognition among factions of these countries that if elements survive the war, they will then be given the U.S. gravy train, so to provoke the U.S. means paying an initial heavy and painful price, but it also brings rewards to the survivers. Don't think there aren't parts of the Iranian government and society who recognize that war with America could be a good thing in the long run. What we've done in Afghanistan and in Iraq in particular has encouraged Iran to defy the world and dig in it's heels. Anyone remember how fast Kadhafi turned in his nuclear research and abandoned the programs after we defeated the Taliban and then attacked Iraq? He was terrified. Now he and other Arab despots see that their countries won't remain destroyed if they fight the U.S. Instead they'll get new roads, power plants, infrastructure, schools, etc. How scary...
The reason countries used to be afraid of the Soviet Union was because they knew the Soviets had the ability to blow them up and couldn't give a da mn about helping them afterwards. In other words, the Soviets fought to destroy and demolish their opponents and didn't care if the country lay in ruins afterwards. That's the price of war. No one provoked the U.S.S.R in the third world as a result.
We have to get out of Iraq. If we end up fighting Iran, we need to remember the lessons learned in Afghanistan and Iraq as well. We are good at war. We are bad at nation-building. Get in, get the initial objective done, get out.
I do not support the sending of more troops if it's the same old same old. I only hope new generals will use their brains to make these added troops worthwhile. If not, there's no point.

Last edited by MoMark; 01-09-2007 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,620,532 times
I am surprised I could even watch the news this evening. It is sickening. And nothing the American people want is ever considered.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM

431 posts, read 394,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I am surprised I could even watch the news this evening. It is sickening. And nothing the American people want is ever considered.
But the "people" just spoke in November and voted in a Democratic house. If I understand Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House, she states the troops will have what they need and will not be underfunded. She doesn't support more troops, but can't do much about it. The 3rd I.D. from Georgia is going in (and many already are on the way) and according to Major General Lynch of Fort Stewart, home of the 3rd I.D., the troops have EVERYTHING they need, including armor and humvees, etc.

I support sending more in if it escalates the means to the end...

I'm interested in hearing the full story tomorrow evening from President Bush.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,971,514 times
I wish you all would pick up a rifle and stand a post.. and shut your mouth. Untill you have served you have no place to talk.

I want to thank all of you for spitting on me and my fellow soldiers.. your true colors are showing.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Soldiers are Americans too..

Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Muhnay ,
My father served in Vietnam. I support you for having served and being an honorable person for the country; but I cannot and will never support Bush and his lobbyists. They are decimating our economy right now. And I do not trust him.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,174,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I wish you all would pick up a rifle and stand a post.. and shut your mouth. Untill you have served you have no place to talk.

I want to thank all of you for spitting on me and my fellow soldiers.. your true colors are showing.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

I don't understand where you are coming from, I would love to hear what you have to say. Speaking for myself, and other americans, we have supported our troops, we just don't want to see any more die in vein.
I will be the first to say, THANK YOU for protecting our native lands, you will never be forgotten, just like so many others. I know it had to have been very hard to be over their in the war, and I wouldn't wish that on my own worst enemy. I thank you and other american soldiers who helped fight the war on terror. So if you could please tell us why you feel the way you do, because I must be stupid or just plain don't get it, but I have not heard one person say they didn't support the troops. We don't want them over their to get shot and killed, but we will always support our people!!!!
I hope you can clear some of this up, for us slower people. Take care and have a good night.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 5,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

Our troops are fighting a war that is not in America's interests nor was it ever.

Our children are dying for Bush's own interests. We are bleeding money on a pointless war for dubious and suspicious reasons. It certainly wasn't our country that lobbied for war...

We need to bring our children home and to defend the motherland against our illegal alien onslaught. Not a war of dubiousness.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Muhnay ,
My father served in Vietnam. I support you for having served and being an honorable person for the country; but I cannot and will never support Bush and his lobbyists. They are decimating our economy right now. And I do not trust him.
I so much agree with you, we all support the troops, but I can not and will not support Bush and his lobbyists. Our economy is in a turmoil right now, how do we even know that we can trust Bush or any of them to tell the truth about anything.
We could be a lot further in debt, then what he lets on. My heart breaks every time I hear another soldier is killed or injured, for what? I say we need to bring them home, protect our own borders, and work on getting The United States Of America together here first and worry about helping all others after we can secure our own land.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 PM

yep- I do not trust him at all. The smugness, the smirk. I have met penny stockbrokers with a less slimy persona. Sorry but that's really how I feel. With what is happening in the US now, and if he said the sky is blue, I would go outside to check. That is not a good feeling, when you have lived in a country for 5 generations, and feel unsure about how it is being controlled.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
yep- I do not trust him at all. The smugness, the smirk. I have met penny stockbrokers with a less slimy persona. Sorry but that's really how I feel. With what is happening in the US now, and if he said the sky is blue, I would go outside to check. That is not a good feeling, when you have lived in a country for 5 generations, and feel unsure about how it is being controlled.
You go girl!!!! I am with you, any more it is hard to trust anyone. It starts with Bush, if he can't be honest with the people, well then the people don't care to be honest either. It is really sad when we don't have any trust in our own president, I felt that he got in on a second term do to lies and being sneaky about hiding votes.
You don't mess up that bad and then get voted back in for a second term. I will be so glad when his term is up, I just hope we finally get some one in that is honest, and cares about the people here before helping other countries. Have a good night everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies