Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 PM

413 posts, read 782,457 times

Advertisements

Why not remove all financial benefits associated with marriage?
Why should non-married couples subsidize the life of married ones?
Why should single professionals support rabbits or upper class childless married couples?

Last edited by Frenchman; 05-25-2008 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 04:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
I'm a single professional, and agree with your premise to a point.
I have to do some more personal analysis to see what resonates with me, but at face value, it could work.

There would be a greater requirement for wills because assets wouldn't just pass from one spouse or generation to the next.

One point is that in a two adult person household, there are two incomes to pay for living expenses. In a one person household, the same expenses exist (rent, utilities, food, etc) but only one income pays for it.
I believe my tax rate should be the same as every other adult.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,089 times
Frenchie, you've finally started a decent thread!

Yes, I'm all for the government getting out of the marriage business together. No straight marriages, no gay marriages.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Why not remove all financial benefits associated with marriage?
Why should non-married couples subsidize the life of married ones?
Why should single professionals support rabbits or upper class childless married couples?
What subsidies do you claim exist for married people?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
For one, the income tax rate is higher for single taxpayers than it is for marrieds. With nearly half the taxpayers filing single, it amounts to a subsidy of married people and is not really fair.

In most states family law sets up a marriage as a business partnership with specific benefits and responsibilities, many of which are for the benefit of children if they exist.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
For one, the income tax rate is higher for single taxpayers than it is for marrieds. With nearly half the taxpayers filing single, it amounts to a subsidy of married people and is not really fair.

In most states family law sets up a marriage as a business partnership with specific benefits and responsibilities, many of which are for the benefit of children if they exist.
Right & here's something else I don't get, why should people who have kids get that tax credit? Isn't having a kids a choice? I'm single w/no kids & live alone & I have a hell of a time getting by what w/rent, bills, etc. Why are single people who choose not to have the financial burden of kids not rewarded? Oh I'm sure I'll get a huge ass-kicking for this post, but this is my honest opinion & question.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

Actually there's a marriage penalty. The income tax rate is higher for a married couple who both work than for two singles.

Marriage is not require for children.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,089 times
Very simple solution to the current mess and confusion.

Get rid of the state's recognition of marriage, get rid of the IRS, have a national sales tax that is based on consumption.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Right & here's something else I don't get, why should people who have kids get that tax credit? Isn't having a kids a choice? I'm single w/no kids & live alone & I have a hell of a time getting by what w/rent, bills, etc. Why are single people who choose not to have the financial burden of kids not rewarded? Oh I'm sure I'll get a huge ass-kicking for this post, but this is my honest opinion & question.
You take the deduction for yourself don't you? Deduction for dependents is not related to marriage. Seem off topic.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
I'm really beginning to think it's a good idea myself, but I feel like it's one of those things that will never actually happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies