Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does being intolerant of intolerance make one a bigot?
Yes 19 35.19%
No 35 64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM

242 posts, read 193,330 times

Advertisements

This is an oft-employed accusation by many conservatives when they are critiqued and contradicted by social progressives. Is it valid, or a faux argument?

Your thoughts and opinions, please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Geez, another gay thread. It doesn't specifically say so, but you know thats what this is about. I believe in the First Amendment. I believe in freedom of religion and speech, for ALL people, not just if it agrees with a liberal point of view.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
A simple question addressing the problem of lack of education & experience. Why should one be tolerant of ignorance? Its like a parent expecting a baby to drive the car. When it is clear that an individual doesn’t have the smarts or ability to make right decisions then they need to be relieved of the responsibility for fear that they & others will get hurt.

Bush clearly is seen as an ill-equipped/"uncurious" man who as president created a mountain of problems for the nation & world. America has been the butt of jokes world-wide b/c we elected a bubbling idiot as our president [though of-course most Democrats did not vote for Bush ever].

So some on this website get all insulted & angry when called "ignorant." That's too bad & I have encouraged many to go back to school, preferably college so that they can better understand the world & gain some skills.

Last edited by happ; 06-21-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 10:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
I have a LOT to say about tolerance and peace, I think anyone who disagrees should be punched right in the nose.....

Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
And this is why social progressives get a lot of flack.
Obviously one is going to believe that their social mores and philosophies are best. And some can even use more then mere feelings to explain why. But when social progressives start immediatly calling people with opposing viewpoints 'ignorant' 'racist' 'bible thumper' and what appears to be the worst cuss word of all to a liberal -- a conservative , that person loses his/her validity very quickly. How can one be open minded and judgemental at the same time? How can someone purporting to have an analytical mind still say with a straight face "only bible thumping, racist Mcmansion living conservatives belive xyz". Again, crediblity is lost.

Now, for someone to say "I believe in xyz because abc" would show openmindedness to all possible positions while showing specific reasons as to why your position either makes sense or is the best one. Name calling may be easy, but it really only shows that your position is weak. Although, I have been guilty of it too, from time to time. Tempers can be lost --- but it is important to try to keep the level of discourse to a high standard.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:07 PM

161 posts, read 384,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Geez, another gay thread. It doesn't specifically say so, but you know thats what this is about. I believe in the First Amendment. I believe in freedom of religion and speech, for ALL people, not just if it agrees with a liberal point of view.
I'm sorry why is this another gay thread? Apparently I can't read between the lines.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
And this is why social progressives get a lot of flack.
Obviously one is going to believe that their social mores and philosophies are best. And some can even use more then mere feelings to explain why. But when social progressives start immediatly calling people with opposing viewpoints 'ignorant' 'racist' 'bible thumper' and what appears to be the worst cuss word of all to a liberal -- a conservative , that person loses his/her validity very quickly. How can one be open minded and judgemental at the same time? How can someone purporting to have an analytical mind still say with a straight face "only bible thumping, racist Mcmansion living conservatives belive xyz". Again, crediblity is lost.

Now, for someone to say "I believe in xyz because abc" would show openmindedness to all possible positions while showing specific reasons as to why your position either makes sense or is the best one. Name calling may be easy, but it really only shows that your position is weak. Although, I have been guilty of it too, from time to time. Tempers can be lost --- but it is important to try to keep the level of discourse to a high standard.
I do agree and think it's a valid post. I am very liberal in my views BUT also find myself very embarrassed when "liberals" come out swinging. I'm sure I have been guilty of it, in the heat of the moment it's not easy to not aim low. However as someone from a very progressive, liberal state, the people that I know and associate with are rarely like this. Most of them would actually be quite offended by the arguments that some "liberals" make on this forum. It is not the norm and shouldn't be assumed to be the norm. Just like I know from experience that "conservatives" don't always feel the way others do on this forum. It's a very small and not a representative sample.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter4ever View Post
I'm sorry why is this another gay thread? Apparently I can't read between the lines.
The gay issue is where people today are called bigots and intolerant.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
I am tolerant of people who are even intolerant of people (who claim to somehow claim to be tolerant) who are intolerant. But people who are intolerant of the intolerant are by definition not as tolerant as tolerant people like me.

Main Entry:big·ot Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\ Function:noun Etymology:French, hypocrite, bigotDate:1660 : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

By this definition, a person who is intolerant of a group (intolerant people) is a bigot.

Oh wait. Is this poll limited to Liberals and Progressives only?

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 06-21-2008 at 11:39 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The gay issue is where people today are called bigots and intolerant.
Why is that only a gay issue? I'm feeling the irony in your post. This post was not presented to any one topic, it simply asked why someone who opposes someone else considered a bigot/intolerant. It seems you are getting defensive about something that isn't even directed at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies