Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand politically and do you agree with the courts decision?
Liberal - no death penalty for raping a child 25 23.58%
Liberal - pro death penalty for raping a child 19 17.92%
Conservative - no death penalty for raping a child 16 15.09%
Conservative - pro death penalty for raping a child. 46 43.40%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's true. The problem lies in the fact that they get out of prison too often and too early.
I think the problem is we lock people up for 20 years because they jwalk, and then dont lockup the individuals who are a real danger to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
No death penality. The child will live... he or she will be mentally scared but I think they will able to move on in life.
I think it would be best of that person realize the anger of the parents. I think he should feel the full force of the community. I think 20 years is a good time then he will get released and hope the family or that child doesn't find them and take care of the debt as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,187 times
The Supreme Court states that it's cruel and unusual punishment to execute someone convicted of raping a child, but how much are you willing to wager that this same Supreme Court would uphold a death penalty on me for killing said child rapist, if he had raped my daughter?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I don't think that rehabilitation is possible for people who commit this kind of crime. It serves no purpose to keep them locked up.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I have mixed feelings on this one. I disagree with the argument that it's not proportional. I think the point brought up by janeannwho about that making it more likely that the child would be killed is a good one I had not considered. I also don't know how far the law in question went. For example, I don't think statutory rape is necessarily a death penalty situation depending on case specifics.
I'm a lukewarm opponent of the death penalty and I have nothing but hatred for those who would harm a child in that way.

But as you mentioned before, it is about proportionate justice. A murder victim is dead and a rape victim isn't. That person my be physically injured (minor or serious injury) and in the vast majority of cases suffer from mental trauma (moderate to life destroying), but that person is still alive and can still live a somewhat normal life.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123cop View Post
If we can't protect our children then we have failed as a society.

If someone raped my daughter and I knew they could not receive the death penalty I would absolutely 100% kill them before they went to prison.

Their life would not be worth the $.25 bullet I would use but justice would be served.
I agree, child molesters never change, they serve no purpose in life other than ruining a child's life, I have no sympathy for them, if they knew they would die for their crime it may make them think before commiting it.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
The crime is against society, no individual gets to set the law.
Although I disagree with the idea of the family choosing the punishment (or lack thereof), I think the "crime against society" thing is bulls--t. I have no idea how you can commit a crime against an artificial construct.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Rapists are as bad as murderers. When you rape someone, you essentially take the life they knew away from them.
As someone who has actually known someone who has been raped, I can tell you that the woman in question is still very much alive.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:45 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
These people making the laws, bet if their child was raped they'd sing a different tune!!!!!!

There is no room in prisons, so they're all walking the streets.....

Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree, child molesters never change, they serve no purpose in life other than ruining a child's life, I have no sympathy for them, if they knew they would die for their crime it may make them think before commiting it.
they are a menace to society!!!! And so are hard core criminals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies