Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Democrats are calling for nationalization of oil. Do you feel the government should also nationaliz
Yes 23 26.74%
No 26 30.23%
No. That is communism 35 40.70%
Not Sure 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM

329 posts, read 586,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
See if you can't manage a less condescending tone if you mean to have a real discussion. That's not your objective, stated earlier on- you refuse to believe anything contrary to what you're accustomed to believe. Fine, don't. You're free to go ahead and delude yourself infinitely if you so choose. But lying in this forum isn't ok, even if it is legal for fox news to do so.
You can deliberately misinterpret, ignore, deny, use every tactic known to madison ave. Reality will assert itself every time. In this I have complete confidence.
Indeed. Condecension and sarcasm are my strengths. I suppose I'm still trying to shake off the neocon. I had something of an awakening in 2006 and haven't looked back. On the point of bus vs. gov, we'll have to disagree. I think you want to be on the side of the engine that drives the world; but, thats neither here nor there. I can appreciate your examples of alternatives, those that have been squashed, and irregularities by big business. On this point you can be certain, I would NEVER intentionally lie, even on an anonymous message board. What I post, I believe to be fact. I do enjoy Fox on occasion, but the majority of my news comes from online. My viewpoint is grounded in econ, which is a kind of geek obsession. Often have I heard the stories about alternatives that shoulda, coulda been but somebody stole them in the night. These may be true, but I always heard them from a loon' (no offense), so I discounted them offhand. All I know is that hard economic reality stares us the face. Personally, I say dance with the one what brung' ya', while looking for the bigger better deal. I apologize for the earlier comments, and will do my damndest to be more polite in the future. And yes, Pawporri, I guess I am the Babe! Though I prefer Bambino...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
I think they should nationalize the auto industry. There hasn't been a decent car made since the demise of the Trabant.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think they should nationalize the auto industry. There hasn't been a decent car made since the demise of the Trabant.
GM made the electric car which performed magnificiently. Then they recalled it and crushed it at the salvage yard. Henry Waxman investigated the fiasco but was too dumb to figure out why they made such a collossal blunder.
Bet they wish they had it online today now that they have been abandoned by the oil industry.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
Indeed. Condecension and sarcasm are my strengths. I suppose I'm still trying to shake off the neocon. I had something of an awakening in 2006 and haven't looked back. On the point of bus vs. gov, we'll have to disagree. I think you want to be on the side of the engine that drives the world; but, thats neither here nor there. I can appreciate your examples of alternatives, those that have been squashed, and irregularities by big business. On this point you can be certain, I would NEVER intentionally lie, even on an anonymous message board. What I post, I believe to be fact. I do enjoy Fox on occasion, but the majority of my news comes from online. My viewpoint is grounded in econ, which is a kind of geek obsession. Often have I heard the stories about alternatives that shoulda, coulda been but somebody stole them in the night. These may be true, but I always heard them from a loon' (no offense), so I discounted them offhand. All I know is that hard economic reality stares us the face. Personally, I say dance with the one what brung' ya', while looking for the bigger better deal. I apologize for the earlier comments, and will do my damndest to be more polite in the future. And yes, Pawporri, I guess I am the Babe! Though I prefer Bambino...
What the hell is a "babyorr" anyway ? We can get into nationalization if harbor lady returns..........

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
What the hell is a "babyorr" anyway ? We can get into nationalization if harbor lady returns..........
Simply the most majestic creature ever to grace the earth, of course. It was a nickname from a bygone era thats stuck on me ever since. I guess I understand where you guys are coming from; that American resources should stay American. However, I will simply state that the fallibility of human beings will make in impossible to lower the price of gasoline through government intervention. As to GM's electric car, the volt should rectify whatever damage was done by not having it on the market long ago. Though with gas around a dollar, the thing wouldn't have sold anyway, making it a moot point. A previous poster mentioned something earlier about nationalizing the auto industry because Detoit hasn't put out a halfway decent car for many moons. Sadly, I will point to the Yugo as the greatest example of nationalization of an automaker.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
Simply the most majestic creature ever to grace the earth, of course. It was a nickname from a bygone era thats stuck on me ever since. I guess I understand where you guys are coming from; that American resources should stay American. However, I will simply state that the fallibility of human beings will make in impossible to lower the price of gasoline through government intervention. As to GM's electric car, the volt should rectify whatever damage was done by not having it on the market long ago. Though with gas around a dollar, the thing wouldn't have sold anyway, making it a moot point. A previous poster mentioned something earlier about nationalizing the auto industry because Detoit hasn't put out a halfway decent car for many moons. Sadly, I will point to the Yugo as the greatest example of nationalization of an automaker.
I am not real familiar with the Volt, but isn't it one of those that you have to buy a replacement battery for every 5 years for $5 grand a pop ?
I do know the original GM electric was charged each night at your home with an adapted charger placed in your garage. It was capable of going a little more tha 60mph.
I still believe Honda is on the right track with their hydrogen car, even though its pretty rudimentary right now, look at the first computer.
Your point about gas being a dollar is good, but GM limited production before they really marketed it to the public. A good campaign may have worked wonders even when gas was cheap, environmentalism was building momentum.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I am not real familiar with the Volt, but isn't it one of those that you have to buy a replacement battery for every 5 years for $5 grand a pop ?
I do know the original GM electric was charged each night at your home with an adapted charger placed in your garage. It was capable of going a little more tha 60mph.
I still believe Honda is on the right track with their hydrogen car, even though its pretty rudimentary right now, look at the first computer.
Your point about gas being a dollar is good, but GM limited production before they really marketed it to the public. A good campaign may have worked wonders even when gas was cheap, environmentalism was building momentum.
Perhaps their electric model was feasible. This is the land where sex sells, however. Nobody would have been getting laid in an electric car back in the day. I think a more telling realization though, is that GM DOES need the electric car now. If indeed their electric really was workable, it would be drawn from the ash heap of history in a hurry. GM has never been in more dire straits than it is right now. I saw an analyst on CNBC say his target price is $7.00 for GM. WOW! So, despite the fact that they had a fully workable model, it probably made very little sense to produce the thing. Now, it does but they still can't do it. I dunno about the volt's battery by the way. They rolled out a concept that looks sweet; I'm on board. However, I think its supposed to be produced on a universal small car kind of concept that is decidely...less sexy. If the battery doesn't have a small finite life, I'll get me one in a hurry. Till then, I'm going to wring out the hooligan bike.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Yeah, $5 grand will pay for a lot of gas, right now, even over a five year period. I still don't take to a car that runs half-and-half (gas/battery). That's what is not appealing to me.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
If they are going to nationalize the oil companies then they better nationalize all the land where drilling prospects are good -- so say goodbye to your property.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If they are going to nationalize the oil companies then they better nationalize all the land where drilling prospects are good -- so say goodbye to your property.
Excellent insight. And down the slippery slope we tumble...Reps to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies