Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:53 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times

Advertisements

Electrolysis requires an input of external energy to proceed. What's the external power source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Electrolysis requires an input of external energy to proceed. What's the external power source?
An internal combustion engine probably!! LOL

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyorr9 View Post
I see. While I agree that hydrogen fuel-cell tech looks very promising, (with a cleaner way of power generation) at the moment it's less than...practical. However, you may find yourself a wealthy man in the coming decades if you're willing to bet the farm on this unproven technology...Most people aren't. And I doubt you are, either.
I am.

Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle - Official Web Site

The World's best Automaker is far ahead once again. Will this be the second time the unconvinced bet against Honda? I hope so for my sake!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:06 PM

329 posts, read 586,109 times
Congratulations! Early adopters will pave the way. And help work out any kinks for the rest of the population. You know, now may be a time to really get in on the ground floor of a Honda dealership...I mean, if you really believe in the technology.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:09 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
I'll stick with the stock and the engineering mentality that has always assured the Honda loyal that they would be buying one of the best engineered products available.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:29 PM

329 posts, read 586,109 times
Very sensible idea. And one that I partake of myself (with a more scattershot approach to other alternatives). My point towards others earlier is that the adopting of new technologies takes time and risk. For every new tech that the world adopts, others died; fortunes were lost that we never hear about. Which is why its hard to pick the next winner. Hydrogen may go the way of the dodo as we go all electric. Or vice versa. Hope you like it though. I would purchase one myself if I lived anywhere near a filling station. Probably going to wait for the Volt though.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
I'm going to add the obligatory conspiracy theory needed in this thread. Even if simple advances find alternatives, they will be kept out of the publics hands someway. I'm still waiting to see the new solar panels that were developed in South Africa and said to be manufactured by a German based company make their way in to the mass market. The panels themselves are suppose to be much more cost efficient, and one hundred times as efficient as previous residential solar panels. They can also work in colder climates with less sunlight because they pick up infrared energy? even after the sun has gone down. But as is the case with fuels, you have electric companies that would be very unhappy if people were able to become energy independent.

Algae should be considered green gold. The stuff grows so fast its ridiculous. It has to be useful in mass production for a gazillion different things. It seems like they could produce natural gas from algae in bulk. Chloroplast is some awesome stuff too in how it transforms light in to energy.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I am.

The World's best Automaker is far ahead once again. Will this be the second time the unconvinced bet against Honda? I hope so for my sake!
Why cant they run their car on hydrogen tablets so people don't have to worry about filling up at hydrogen stations? Gas stations clutter the environment too. But yea any word on using hydrogen fuel cells in the tablet form?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I am.

Craig Vetter fuel economy contests 1980- 1985: Honda sponsored one of the contestants in a fuel mileage 'race' for motor cycles. The dude won with an astonishing 470 mpg. The bike was brought back overseas to honda and destroyed from what I was told.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...PG%20Main.html

The improvements in economy were attributed to;
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...u%20talks.html

Old 06-29-2008, 06:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Vaguely written 'fuel cell' which I interpret to mean a battery. Does it matter? What matters is it runs, or it doesn't, and especially-- how much does it cost to own/operate? What's the trade off? It's not that I'm incapable of skepticism, I just want to see things get an even shake, and let it stand on merits of performance and cost alone. Let's see the real math of consumer reports standard. If it's FOS it will fail. If it's promising and needs more work, we should work on it.

genepax is the asian company pushing this foward now, stanley meyer is gone. here's what they had to say when the question was put to them...
http://media.cleantech.com/3002/wate...l-cell-genepax

Quote:
"Genepax said the design of its system is similar to the basic power generation of a traditional fuel cell, except Genepax’s system uses a membrane electrode assembly (MEA), which contains a material capable of breaking down water into hydrogen and oxygen through chemical reaction.

The company was reluctant to reveal details about its system, but maintains that it is “a well-known process to produce hydrogen from water to the MEA.” With the new process, the company said the cell only requires water and air, eliminating the need for hydrogen components such as a reformer and high-pressure tank.

The company also said that since the MEA doesn’t require catalysts, the amount of rare metals such as platinum is almost the same as existing systems. Genepax was unable to say how long this system would last, as it has been collecting data from its prototype for about a year and it plans to continue gathering information."
reuters covered them briefly- there is the car going going going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42D6GZLp1DE

What I wonder is-- how could this work in winter of a northern climate? Will antifreeze be a whole other expense, or will that interfere with the works? How often does the membrane need replacement, and how much will that cost as regular maintenence?

Here's purdue university's version of hydrogen on demand system that uses water in volumes, but aluminum/gallium/ tin alloy as catalyst. He says it isn't 'spent', it gets recycled back into aluminum and gallium respectively. That would mean the remaining alloys were what is really 'spent' in the process, along with water? Looks that way. They aren't calling it a 'water car' but it is what the consumer would have to add, along with aluminum/gallium alloy flakes.
http://www.physorg.com/news122655117.html

http://hydrogen.ecn.purdue.edu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies